Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple should give Steve Jobs da boot.

Apple should give Steve Jobs da boot. (Page 2)
discotronic
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 11:11 PM

Steve Jobs is Apple. The company would not have survived to come back this far without him. OS X was the start of new era for Apple. I don't believe the new era is starting with Intel. The company has made a great comeback when people where saying that Apple was dead many times. It doesn't matter how pissed the ultra fan-boys are at what Apple is doing. They can leave in droves for all I care. Their resistance to change is more of a thorn in the side of a great company than anything.

Geeks know nothing (or very little) of business and that is exactly what Apple and Steve Jobs are doing. Business. I have confidence that Apple put this decision through more debate than all the forums on the net combined. If going Intel chases away the Mac "faithful" then it seems to me that the title is misplaced and they should go.

I could care less what processor my PowerMac is running. AMD, Intel or PPC is fine with me. As long as my machine does what I want it to do and as long as I am running OSX on Apple's sweetly designed systems.

For the regular user this transition will most likely be seamless. For the power users it may not be so. The developers have their work cut out for them. We made it though the 68k - PowerPC and OS 9 - OS X transition and now Apple is stronger now than it has been since the 80's. I have a feeling that what is happening now will make Apple even stronger.

If you don't like what is going on by all mean get yourself an AMD 64 box and put some flavor of Linix on it. I am sure that most Apple people are more than willing to work with an OS that "should work."

It seems to me that most of the people that are complaining didn't go through some of the earlier trials with owning a Mac. A true Mac user wouldn't be asking for Steve Jobs to resign. They should be thankful he returned. They should also be thankful that he had the hindsight to plan ahead.

I've been running Macs for years and I don't plan on stopping because of a little thing called a processor.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 11:30 PM

QuickTake I would guess. Then Newton followed by Link. Happy 6th birthday, Link. Here, I got you a clue.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2005, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by discotronic
Steve Jobs is Apple. The company would not have survived to come back this far without him. OS X was the start of new era for Apple. I don't believe the new era is starting with Intel. The company has made a great comeback when people where saying that Apple was dead many times. It doesn't matter how pissed the ultra fan-boys are at what Apple is doing. They can leave in droves for all I care. Their resistance to change is more of a thorn in the side of a great company than anything.

Geeks know nothing (or very little) of business and that is exactly what Apple and Steve Jobs are doing. Business. I have confidence that Apple put this decision through more debate than all the forums on the net combined. If going Intel chases away the Mac "faithful" then it seems to me that the title is misplaced and they should go.

I could care less what processor my PowerMac is running. AMD, Intel or PPC is fine with me. As long as my machine does what I want it to do and as long as I am running OSX on Apple's sweetly designed systems.

For the regular user this transition will most likely be seamless. For the power users it may not be so. The developers have their work cut out for them. We made it though the 68k - PowerPC and OS 9 - OS X transition and now Apple is stronger now than it has been since the 80's. I have a feeling that what is happening now will make Apple even stronger.

If you don't like what is going on by all mean get yourself an AMD 64 box and put some flavor of Linix on it. I am sure that most Apple people are more than willing to work with an OS that "should work."

It seems to me that most of the people that are complaining didn't go through some of the earlier trials with owning a Mac. A true Mac user wouldn't be asking for Steve Jobs to resign. They should be thankful he returned. They should also be thankful that he had the hindsight to plan ahead.

I've been running Macs for years and I don't plan on stopping because of a little thing called a processor.
Amen. I totally agree with you. does it make us sound like "fanboys" maybe but I don't really care. I use a Mac because "it just works" I plug stuff in and it works. I don't have to fuss with stuff like on Windows. If I buy a digital camera I don't wan to have to install drivers and what not to get it to work. I want to be able to plug it in and have it just work that IS what Apple offers that is why even if they used jim bob's processor and it worked well I wouldn't really care. As long as it Runs like a Mac is supposed to.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2005, 11:41 PM

Steve is a pacifist. We'd have double the market share we have now if he'd dip into Apple's six billion dollar war chest and market something other than the iPod. But he's too afraid of pissing Billy off and losing Office.

Bring back Amelio.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 11:43 PM

I've been reading all the posts on teh intarweb about this and I'm disgusted by all the morons who are willing to jump ship because of the processor the Macs will use. I use the Mac for the OS. Not the god damn processor. The OS! Apple's not going to be selling WINDOWS on these things! It's still the Mac! It will still work like a Mac. And apparently OS X has been ready for Intel for 5 years, so it's not like Apple's once again alienating developers. Old stuff will still work! The OS will still work! The OS will work as if it was still on a PPC. Still on a G5 or a G4 or a G3. All that's changing (Aside from hopefully some cool new case designs.. let's hope they're sans Intel Inside logo.) is the processor! And hell, if this transition finally ends all the damn "MACS R SLOWW!!!!1" comments from all the PC users out there, then BRING IT ON!

Intel, AMD, Motorola, IBM or Sony. I don't care who makes the processor, as long as I can use my OS like I always have.

And if you are willing to jump to Linux just because of the OS Apple is using, then that's your own boneheaded decision, and I won't stop you, dumbass. (This is aimed at people who know who they are. Not anyone in particular.)

I welcome our Intel overlords, and the Blue Man Group, with open arms.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2005, 11:44 PM

Apple is a hardware company, not a software company. The software is developed to sell the hardware. The hardware needs to be the best available. Intel is not anywhere near close.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

dan johnson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2005, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Apple is a hardware company, not a software company. The software is developed to sell the hardware. The hardware needs to be the best available. Intel is not anywhere near close.
I believe its the other way around.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 12:29 AM

I imagine we'll get just about the best PPC stuff before it hits a wall and then we'll have x86. Besides if everything is compiled as a universal binary, then... we'll be able to jump back to PPC if it gets the fastest...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2005, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by dan johnson
I believe its the other way around.
Then you're wrong. Apple makes its money primarily off hardware sales. This is why it won't license the Mac OS.

However, Lateralus conclusion is also wrong. As he himself said, the software sells the hardware. Therefore, it is not true that "the hardware needs to be the best available." The software needs to be the best available in order to get you to buy whatever hardware Apple is peddling.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2005, 01:04 AM

Well, I said that incorrectly.

What I mean is that the hardware needs to be the best because it is the focus of the company. It is the main source of revenue.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

exactopposite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Link
:
7. The Pentium M is not a big deal. Not big enough to drop PPC, at least. You guys are weenies.
i forgot this part in my earlier posty. the pentium M has a very bright future. here is a link directlly comparing the pentium M and the pentium 4. the #'s speak for themselves.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/index.html

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Jun 8, 2005, 02:26 PM

Do you realize that Apple lost all its vision when the Steves left right? Personally I think Woz should be invited back if him and Jobs could patch their relationship back up, 5then we'd have the heart and soul of Apple back

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2005, 03:08 PM

I don't think Woz would want to come back. He's got his own stuff going on right now. Which is a shame, because it would rock.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 03:07 PM

Woz is a cool guy. He was at the Keynote. Too bad he's not at Apple, but it's nice he keeps in touch. I always wonder what Apple would be like now had Woz stayed and Jobs never left in the first place.

Where's Professor Farnsworth and his "What If?" machine when you need them?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 9, 2005, 03:43 PM

Apple should give Steve Jobs da boot.
I wouldn't mind having one of these either, but his plane is good enough:

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I wouldn't mind having one of these either, but his plane is good enough:
Sorry, you'll have to settle for Das EFX

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 9, 2005, 04:07 PM

Sorry, but while Woz is cool and all, judging by his website I'm not convinced signing him on again for a real project with Apple would necessarily be a good thing.

It's not as he seems all that interested anyway. He's got better things to do.

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Apple is a hardware company, not a software company. The software is developed to sell the hardware.
Apple is both a hardware company and a software company.

The hardware needs to be the best available. Intel is not anywhere near close.
Intel is close on the desktop/workstation front, and by far the leader on the mobile front. That and the fact that intel has best range of products (ie. chipsets, etc.), excellent compilers (which are coming to OS X), and has the most economic might of the the two main x86 suppliers, makes Intel by far the best choice.

I would have liked to see the G5 progress, but Steve saw the writing on the wall and did the unthinkable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules