Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Sum columns with same ID in Excel?

Sum columns with same ID in Excel?
TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2006, 06:22 PM

I've got a data table that has a number of columns for data from two years. Each sample from each year has its own ID, but some individual samples from the first year (let's say "A") represent multiple samples from the following year (let's say "B, C, D, E, and F") and vice versa. The trick is to sum B, C, D, E, and F so I can compare that number to the number I have for A. I can perform the summations manually, but I have a lot of data (nearly 100 "duplicates" I think).

Is there any Excel-fu that anyone knows on how to accomplish this? I've been scouring the internet, but I'm afraid it's either not commonly done or not done with any sort of scripting. I'd be grateful for any ideas. Thanks!
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

philm
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2006, 08:42 PM

In case you don't get much response to this, I have read your query a number of times and I don't understand how your data are set out, or what you are trying to achieve. If this thread seems to die off, please consider rephrasing your question - maybe post a screenshot of how the data are laid out.

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 03:45 PM

Thanks. I'll see what I can do. Right now I'm on a bit of a deadline, but I'll post a follow up when all is past (shortly).
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Forum Links
Forum Rules