Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Help! Bootcamp 1.2 beta drivers killed windows!

Help! Bootcamp 1.2 beta drivers killed windows!
itistoday
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2007, 07:09 PM

I had bootcamp 1.1.1 (or whatever the version before 1.2 beta was) installed on my MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo. Following Apple's online instructions I installed the new 1.2 beta drivers by burning a new CD and installing them in windows. After the installation my computer automatically rebooted. When I booted into windows I noticed that the login screen no longer showed up on my external display (but on my laptop's screen). I also noticed that the Microsoft USB mouse was not powered on (it was not glowing red) and it obviously did not work, nor my logitech keyboard. Then, panic set in as I realized that not even the trackpad on my laptop worked.

I detached all devices from my laptop, tried rebooting again, and nothing worked. There was no way I could log into windows. This is scaring me as I don't have apple care, and I NEED to use my windows installation by this Wednesday. There is no apple store nearby.

It may be worth mentioning that I had installed Input Remapper, an alternative keyboard driver. However, I don't know if this is the cause of the problem, and even if it is, it doesn't seem like I can do much about it if I can't even log in! (I can, however, tell windows to shutdown by pressing the power key at the login screen, so perhaps the keyboard does work, just not the USB mouse or the trackpad...)

Does anyone know a way that I can fix this? Can I reinstall windows without wiping my windows partition? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated... this is seriously not cool, my grade depends on this working soon.

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2007, 08:21 PM

Luckily I managed to somehow fix the problem, here's what I know so that if anyone runs into this perhaps this can help them out.

I tried booting in safe-mode first, that did not work though. Next a friend suggested that I try plugging in the external keyboard after I see the login screen. This actually seems to have fixed the problem as I was able to bring up the alternate login screen using Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and once I logged in the trackpad started working again.

Some interesting things happened after that. Windows gave me a pop-up saying it had experienced some sort of severe error:

BCCode : 100000ce BCP1 : BAB8178C BCP2 : 00000008 BCP3 : BAB8178C
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER919e.dir00\M ini041507-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER919e.dir00\s ysdata.xml
I have no idea what that means though...

The 1.2 Beta installation had installed an Apple Software Update application which I ran, and upon attempting to install Quicktime it told me that the 1.2 Beta bootcamp installation had been suspended and said that if I wished to proceed I would have to click "Yes" to undo that installation. I did this and Quicktime installed just fine.

Now everything seems to be working normally just like it had before. I'm not sure if any damage has been done or if I now have a partial 1.2 beta installation, all I know is that I'm not touching those updates while everything is working. I will wait for the final release instead. :-)

I'm running Windows XP Pro BTW, not Vista.

Forum Links
Forum Rules