Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPlan as much as $44????

iPlan as much as $44????
TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 02:17 PM

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/...bed-the-iplan/

Good god. I knew AT&T would try to rip people off, but this is ridiculous. They have an honest chance to expand their market share here, but even the estimated low price is still $34. At $20 a month for data, they could make a killing. At $34+ it's going to be more difficult. Bummer.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2007, 02:37 PM

Needs more "?" in the title for sure.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2007, 02:52 PM

I don't think anyone seriously thought it would be $20 for unlimited internet. You can get that with some phones, because they can only use very limited internet features, but the iPhone is going to be using wireless bandwidth like nobody's business.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 02:57 PM

Yeah, $40 for unlimited internet is actually pretty standard.

ImpulseResponse

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2007, 03:00 PM

If its $35 for data and $35 for limited voice, I think thats reasonable.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2007, 03:35 PM

If those plans turn out to be what's actually offered then it's a pretty good deal.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2007, 03:38 PM

Kinda silly. AT&T ALREADY has an unlimited data, unlimited messaging plan for $39.99 ... why would they charge MORE for it on the iPhone I wonder.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
Kinda silly. AT&T ALREADY has an unlimited data, unlimited messaging plan for $39.99 ... why would they charge MORE for it on the iPhone I wonder.
Real reason? Because people will pay it to get the iPhone.

Their reason? Visual voicemail, blah blah blah, unlimited messaging, blah blah blah, etc

ImpulseResponse

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2007, 03:45 PM

It wouldn't make much sense, although I could come up with some theoretical reasons:

Greed: They know they have a hot product and want to take advantage of it while also making up for the concessions they had to make with Apple.
Extra bandwidth: It can't compare to 3G phones of course, but the iphone will use a lot of bandwidth, and they might want to reflect that in the fees.
Stupidity: I would hope that they would realize that a $500-$600 phone already has an uphill battle for acceptance among the general public without tacking on huge fees, but I never underestimate the stupidity of corporate America.

You could also make the argument that the iPhone should actually have lower fees than similar phones, since we're paying for it outright, and because it is to AT&T's advantage to have the iPhone turn into a mega-hit. So who knows, really?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2007, 04:32 PM

The prices being thrown around are reasonable given AT&T's present data plan structuring. But they also imply that you won't even get to tether: AT&T BlackBerry data plans are $40/mo without tethering and $80/mo (!) with tethering. Compare to T-mobile at $20/mo with tethering.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2007, 05:35 PM

Okay, I live in Germany, which, of course, is notorious for SCANDALOUS telecom pricing.

$44 for monthly fee including unlimited data transfer? Wow. I wish.

O2 takes €35 monthly for standard mobile contract, including flat rate to land-line numbers within Germany, and to other O2 customers. Add their "virtually unlimited" mobile data plan, and you get FIVE GIGABYTES (that's their maximum) included for an ADDITIONAL €25.

that's SIXTY euros - eighty-one dollars - for 5 GB of data per month.

SMS are extra.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The prices being thrown around are reasonable given AT&T's present data plan structuring. But they also imply that you won't even get to tether: AT&T BlackBerry data plans are $40/mo without tethering and $80/mo (!) with tethering. Compare to T-mobile at $20/mo with tethering.
I can only imagine that tethering would not be quite as important since the iPhone has a full-blown browser. AT&T/Cingular do have unlimited EDGE data for as little as $20/mo already (there is a Media Max + 200 text msg bundle at $19.99). I currently use a plan that is $24.99/mo that has unlimited data, 200 text msg, and Unlimited M2M text messaging and I tether unlimited to my Nokia 6126 at that price.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
That's not including voice fees, mind you, which will add at least another $40.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Okay, I live in Germany, which, of course, is notorious for SCANDALOUS telecom pricing.

O2 takes €35 monthly for standard mobile contract, including flat rate to land-line numbers within Germany, and to other O2 customers. Add their "virtually unlimited" mobile data plan, and you get FIVE GIGABYTES (that's their maximum) included for an ADDITIONAL €25.

that's SIXTY euros - eighty-one dollars - for 5 GB of data per month.

SMS are extra.
That's $40/mo just for data. Talk time is another $40/mo minimum at AT&T, and SMS are extra. And some of the data plans require a voice plan.

Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
I can only imagine that tethering would not be quite as important since the iPhone has a full-blown browser. AT&T/Cingular do have unlimited EDGE data for as little as $20/mo already (there is a Media Max + 200 text msg bundle at $19.99). I currently use a plan that is $24.99/mo that has unlimited data, 200 text msg, and Unlimited M2M text messaging and I tether unlimited to my Nokia 6126 at that price.
Either you signed up before the current terms and conditions were written, or you're violating them. Per AT&T Wireless Terms and Conditions:
FURTHERMORE, UNLIMITED PLANS (EXCEPT FOR DATACONNECT AND BLACKBERRY TETHERED) CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY APPLICATIONS THAT TETHER THE DEVICE (THROUGH USE OF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, CONNECTION KITS, OTHER PHONE/PDA-TO-COMPUTER ACCESSORIES, BLUETOOTH® OR ANY OTHER WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY) TO LAPTOPS, PCS, OR OTHER EQUIPMENT FOR ANY PURPOSE.

DataConnect Unlimited is $80/mo; there is also a 10MB DataConnect plan for $60/mo.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2007, 09:45 PM

My guess is that there will be only one or two plans available. Both will include voice, data, and messages and one will be unlimited everything. You won't be able to get a plan without messaging or data. The iPhone MUST come with all three and there will be no breakdown.

Based on Jobs and Apple, history, etc., it will not be the cheapest plan compared to other phones or services, but the unlimited plan will be cheaper than many plans out there.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Jun 25, 2007 at 10:02 PM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Ranger14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2007, 12:01 AM

The rep at the AT&T store yesterday told me that there would be three plans, but they will not have the details to give until the 29th. I have checked with around 4 different AT&T stores in the area and none of them will give out any kind of detail and there is no waiting list unless stores are breaking the rules.

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 12:03 AM

True, Apple does not tend to have the "cheapest" of many things, and I certainly wasn't expecting the iPhone to do the same. That said, I hope they have a plan w/o messaging. I hardly ever use it, so it would be nice to have one option with and one without. Without the 2000 messages being batted around like there is, they could offer an unlimited data plan like they have now for $20 a month. That would be more tolerable. Their voice plan at $40 a month is a bit anemic on minutes, but the combination of that plus the data would be a whole lot more appealing than the $80-$100 a month it's looking like now.

amacboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2007, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
That's not including voice fees, mind you, which will add at least another $40.
I think so!
All latest info about : Apple - Mac - and OSX

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by amacboy View Post
I think so!
what are voice fees?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
what are voice fees?
I think all the plans include a voice.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

dawho9
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 10:20 AM

Its $20 bucks for unlimited data/SMS messaging for the phone to an existing contract. Is it just me or is that a great price? I'm all over this now. I was worried it would be like ATT Blackberry plan (almost $75.00 for entry level and runs up to over 150.00 depending on the number of minutes).

I might just get in line today.

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by dawho9 View Post
Its $20 bucks for unlimited data/SMS messaging for the phone to an existing contract. Is it just me or is that a great price? I'm all over this now. I was worried it would be like ATT Blackberry plan (almost $75.00 for entry level and runs up to over 150.00 depending on the number of minutes).

I might just get in line today.

dw9
Considering I pay $49.99 for "PDA Unlimited" in additional to my voice plan, THIS IS A FREAKIN' STEAL. Way to go Apple and AT&T...

Kepp my current Family Plan (1400 Shared for $80.00) and add the $20.00 for the iPhone Data plan, I'll end up being $30 CHEAPER than what I am paying now.

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 11:41 AM

Wow. Color me impressed. This is a much better deal than I was expecting. If they eventually allow for premier discounts, I'll seriously have to consider it.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 11:51 AM

I couldn't be happier. That $60 dollar plan is perfect for me. Way to go Apple & AT&T!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 11:57 AM

It's great for me too... I need it just for data, but the voice is nice to have.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 12:45 PM

Well, I am surprised and not surprised at the same time.

End result: no price difference in plans compared to other AT&T phones.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 12:46 PM

It's $15 cheaper than my friend's Blackberry plan.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 03:51 PM

Hey guys ... check out Cingular/ATT's original plans .. these are exact matches. $20 gets you unlimted internet + 200msg. $30 gets you unlimited + 1500. Its the same as their normal plans for "normal" phones.

JASnyder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2007, 04:27 PM

Wow...this is really going to annoy some people. Apple has created a really impressive device and the service is reasonably priced. I'm sure this will be a hit.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 04:30 PM

Yeah I think it was assumed by a lot of "haters" that AT&T were going to gouge us on the plans. Well they didn't. So now the "haters" have to find another argument. But they can't use the "it won't sync with Exchange Servers!" argument anymore either. Apple, and Microsoft to push Exchange Direct Push to iPhone? - Engadget

They are slowly running out of ways to bash the iPhone. Muhahahaha!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 05:06 PM

Well, there's always the $499/$599 price tag the "haters" can fall back on.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Soon, that will be all they have left. And I think, much like the iPod, even those arguments will die off when the thing actually hits people's hands.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by dawho9 View Post
I'm very impressed to see them bring the price within industry norms. Now if only they'd let you tether.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I think you mean $700/$800 price, given the contract-required/no-discount requirement.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I think you mean $700/$800 price, given the contract-required/no-discount requirement.
You must be confused. The retail price on the phone is either $499 or $599.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2007, 12:19 AM

He's just saying that with phones as expensive as the iPhone, you're generally not required to have a 2-year contract with a certain provider (since they would be unsubsidized and unlocked). But I wouldn't agree that it equals a $700-$800 price. For most users, it won't mean anything, since they were just going to stick with the same provider anyway. For people who (for whatever reason) don't want to be tied to AT&T, it's more like a dealbreaker than a bump to the price of the phone.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2007, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
You must be confused. The retail price on the phone is either $499 or $599.
The current industry norm is that you buy a $700 phone and get $200 discount for signing a contract (so you only pay $500 up front), but then have to pay $200 if you break that contract.
With the iPhone you pay $500 up front for the phone and have to sign a contract, which costs $200 to break. Sounds like the same as the current industry norm with a $700 phone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules