Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac delayed

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac delayed
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2007, 10:42 AM

Link: Macsimum News - Office 2008 for Mac delayed

Sounds like (yet another) 6 month delay for Office 2008.

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but I think Microsoft's paucity of Mac-centric resources is a purposeful move to weaken the Mac's increasing popularity.

Kind of a shame, too, because I may eventually have to bow to Microsoft's extorsion, since like so many other business users I am fairly dependent on Microsoft's cash-cow Office suite. Office 2004 works, but is dog slow on my Intel-based Macs. And the MS compatibility of other apps (Keynote, Pages, NeoOffice/OpenOffice, Nisus Writer, etc.) can only get me about 85% of the way.

I may have to be more aggressive about having people send me documents and attachments in PDF, RTF and other "open" file formats. May work for some individuals, but good luck getting some huge enterpises to make the change. And even then, I find most Windows people don't have an easy way to save Word files as a PDF.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2007, 10:54 AM

It would appear the MacBU has very limited resources and that their mandate is to produce barely passable software. If the pathetic RDC 2.0 beta is any indication of what's to come, I think I'll start seriously checking out alternatives to Office 2008.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 11:22 AM

Listen, you gotta give 'em a break: They're probably just working on putting out a phone, you know?

Their phone may end up being brown and squarish and clunky, but they're entitled to pursue their dreams. Happens to the best of companies, after all.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2007, 11:56 AM

Cadaver: just use NeoOffice, Abiword, Textedit, or anything else that will read a MS Word file. Granted, you may have to tweak formatting a little bit here and there, but in my experience I have to do this anyway because people like to do dumb things like use manual spaces rather than tabs/tables to align things just so, and the slight differences in fonts can throw this sort of precise formatting off. At least in my work flow (and granted, I don't receive a ton of Word files), this sort of annoyance is minimal at best.

What I get in using a different product is not having to pay for the software (this will be nice when I can no longer get it for free), faster performance on my Intel Mac, not being locked into a file format, support of open source software, and trading one set of annoyances for another

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2007, 01:57 PM

Here it goes again. Office languishes. Microsoft deliberately lags the Mac feature set behind the Windows version (more than it is now). Hopefully this time, Apple will not have to cut a deal with MS to get Office going again. Maybe iWork will become more Office friendly. Maybe that's the real reason for the delay of iWork '07.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Cold Warrior
Aug 2, 2007, 02:12 PM

Not surprising. MS has a history of failed deadlines. For whatever reason, they just can't stay on track.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2007, 02:32 PM

Microsoft will go out of business because of this.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2007, 02:44 PM

My opinion of this is the same as my opinion of the Leopard delay: as long as they get it right, I'm happy.

I didn't upgrade from Office X to Office 2004 because the new features didn't interest me. Office 2007 does. In other words, a 3 month delay on an update I've waited for since 2002 doesn't bother me. Not as much as a product loaded with bugs would.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 03:24 PM

The difference with MS Office and Leopard is that you aren't going to start getting 'Leopard' formatted files that you must read but can't open from a bunch of people.
You can save as the older format from the latest Win' Office, but I think it's in the 'Export' option (If I remember correctly) and comes with a dialogue about loosing options.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 03:41 PM

Just cross you fingers and hope that they're not working on an "ad-supported version" of Mac Office, like they're doing with iWorks. That'd be horrible.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but I think Microsoft's paucity of Mac-centric resources is a purposeful move to weaken the Mac's increasing popularity.
When hasn't that been MSs probable modus operandi?

FWIW, if they can install their own software (e.g. if it is their own PC), get them to download and use PDF Creator (OSS freeware) and they'll be able to print to PDF from any app like we can. I've been using version 0.9.2 for over a year now on my work PC and haven't had a single issue with it and Word 2003.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2007, 07:29 PM

Wow, version 2008 software that won't be released until the first month of 2008! I bet iLife '08 will be released about the same time.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Just cross you fingers and hope that they're not working on an "ad-supported version" of Mac Office, like they're doing with iWorks. That'd be horrible.
Where did you get the information that iWork will be "ad supported"?
( Last edited by TETENAL; Aug 2, 2007 at 08:21 PM. )

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 07:52 PM

He/she is confusing MS Works with iWork. It is MS Works that is going to be supported by ads.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2007, 08:55 PM

Microsoft announced they going to offer an ad-supported version of Works (basic docs and spreadsheets) on some OEM's PCs in the next couple months. Works is Microsoft's lightweight docs-and-spreadsheets software. If it goes well they'll switch from $40 to free-with-ads for Works sometime next year.

I don't see them doing the same with Office, or porting Works to OS X, so I don't see how it could affect OS X users.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 10:27 PM

You actually expected office 08 to be out before 2008, I'm shocked

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 10:54 PM

Yep, sorry, meant MS Works...oops...

EndlessMac
Senior User
Aug 3, 2007, 01:16 AM

And the MS compatibility of other apps (Keynote, Pages, NeoOffice/OpenOffice, Nisus Writer, etc.) can only get me about 85% of the way.

I may have to be more aggressive about having people send me documents and attachments in PDF, RTF and other "open" file formats. May work for some individuals, but good luck getting some huge enterpises to make the change. And even then, I find most Windows people don't have an easy way to save Word files as a PDF.
If more PC users started using OpenOffice then your problem is solved because these files are fully compatible from PC to Mac and vice versa. I'm actually surprised that OpenOffice isn't that popular on PCs since it is a good alternative to MS Office suites and the biggest seller is that it's free. OpenOffice also works very similar to MS Office so there isn't much of a learning curve.

I've actually been telling my PC friends and family about it in hopes that it becomes more popular. If you are going to be aggressive about people sending you certain types of files then it would be a good to recommend OpenOffice to them. For my needs NeoOffice works perfectly so there is no need for me to buy Office 2008.

gangaspeed
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2007, 01:41 AM

I have used Office 2008 for windows for a brief time at work, energizer is the first company to have it, and have to say am not impressed a whole lot.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2007, 08:27 AM

^^^ you mean office 2007

I have office 2007 which I use within VMware's Fusion and I think its light years ahead in functionality over the current office for the Mac which is sad M$ continues to give mac users the short end of the stick. I like/hate the ribbon, at times it's really helpful and speeds me along, and other times its so $#%$ frustrating trying to do something and I cannot figure out where it is now.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2007, 08:40 AM

Yes, you're just being paranoid. Apple does not compete directly with Microsoft. Apple competes with computer manufacturers such as Dell, Sony and Acer. Microsoft's product are installed as frequently on Macs as they are on Dells, Sonys and Acers. If Microsoft appears to not be putting as much effort into the Mac versions of their software, it's probably because the Mac user base represents such a small percentage of Microsoft's entire customer base, giving the non-Mac products a higher priority.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2007, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I think I'll start seriously checking out alternatives to Office 2008.
Well, how do think it will stack up against its major competitor, Office 2004?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2007, 02:11 PM

I don't think it's the MacBU, it's Microsoft itself. They did it with Vista, they'll do it with Office, and probably the next Xbox.

auxlepli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 07:16 PM

I couldn't care less if MS Office 2008 is delayed.
The less Microsoft in my life the happier I am.
I use TextEdit and am just fine. Sometimes I use AppleWorks too.
When I must use Microsoft Windows at work I log onto my Gmail account and use it's Documents program.
If people need an office suite I recommend OpenOffice.org for PC and NeoOffice for Mac, though I haven't tried the latter. IMO though as long as Microsoft isn't being paid, I'm gonna recommend it. There are so many viable alternatives, and free ones too, it just doesn't pay to pay Microsoft.

gangaspeed
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2007, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
^^^ you mean office 2007

I have office 2007 which I use within VMware's Fusion and I think its light years ahead in functionality over the current office for the Mac which is sad M$ continues to give mac users the short end of the stick. I like/hate the ribbon, at times it's really helpful and speeds me along, and other times its so $#%$ frustrating trying to do something and I cannot figure out where it is now.
Yes 2007, little slip of the mind there haha.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Wow, version 2008 software that won't be released until the first month of 2008! I bet iLife '08 will be released about the same time.
*grovels and eats his crow*

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
*grovels and eats his crow*
Beat me there.
Linkinus is king.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 09:41 PM

Especially with Numbers now out, I don't know why anyone would bother with MS Office now. I think Microsoft has probably lost some customers because of this.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 09:52 PM

The reason is to have 99.9% compatibility with colleagues who use Word or Excel.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 09:53 PM

Who needs Colleagues! I'm a lone wolf haha...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Especially with Numbers now out, I don't know why anyone would bother with MS Office now. I think Microsoft has probably lost some customers because of this.
Microsoft Office for Mac is dead. With Numbers out Office 2008 will be the last version they make.

passmaster16
Senior User
Aug 8, 2007, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Microsoft Office for Mac is dead. With Numbers out Office 2008 will be the last version they make.
If that's the case, then Apple would really need to make iWork into a true Office replacement. For most people, iWork is great but there are still people out there that need fully compatibility with Office. Microsoft will continue to make Office for Mac as long as it is financially viable for them. They make good revenue on Mac Office. Unless that changes, I don't see any reason for them to discontinue making it. Now if iWork begins to substantially cut into their profits, they might decide to pull the plug, but people who truly need Office will continue to buy it regardless of iWork 08.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Aug 8, 2007, 04:14 AM

Why don't you just use Office 2007 via Crossover? I use Crossover for a couple apps and the odd game, works like a charm.

I still wish Office 2008 would be out by now though since having a native Office suite just make the Mac OS more homey.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by passmaster16 View Post
If that's the case, then Apple would really need to make iWork into a true Office replacement. For most people, iWork is great but there are still people out there that need fully compatibility with Office. Microsoft will continue to make Office for Mac as long as it is financially viable for them. They make good revenue on Mac Office. Unless that changes, I don't see any reason for them to discontinue making it. Now if iWork begins to substantially cut into their profits, they might decide to pull the plug, but people who truly need Office will continue to buy it regardless of iWork 08.
I just don't think that the vast majority of people need MS Office. I also think that the idea that many need 99% compatibility is overrated, as these compatibility problems are minor formatting issues that are simply a small annoyance, if that. These same problems could exist regardless, given the differences in fonts between OS X and Windows.

rotuts
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 09:50 AM

I just started trying iWorks 8, and so far so good. Im hoping it will eventually replace officvce for me.

numbers is nice but does not yet have as much 'flexibility' as Exel, and Office 2004 does not seem to open Numbers 8.

N'8 might have an export to exel though

lets keep our fingers crossed;

cheers
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2007, 11:11 AM

FYI - Microsoft is sending Mac Office 2008 beta invites out now. Your MS rep has to request your name be added to the invite list *I think*.

Release of beta is Oct 1st.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 11:14 AM

I hope i get invited, we have so many VBscript applications running off Office..
we don't have time to stop for gas

Warbrain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2007, 11:19 AM

I'm going to need to get in contact with mine to see if I can get a hold of it legitimately.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2007, 11:48 AM

<>I hope i get invited, we have so many VBscript applications running off Office.

Which of course makes you just the type of user MS needs to beta test Office.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Cadaver: just use NeoOffice, Abiword, Textedit, or anything else that will read a MS Word file. Granted, you may have to tweak formatting a little bit here and there, but in my experience I have to do this anyway because people like to do dumb things like use manual spaces rather than tabs/tables to align things just so, and the slight differences in fonts can throw this sort of precise formatting off. At least in my work flow (and granted, I don't receive a ton of Word files), this sort of annoyance is minimal at best.
Good for you - for me, my entire business pretty much is dealing with people with Word files. I've ended up (when I'm writing something from scratch) writing it in Pages, then exporting, and tidying up in Word, but that's a pain. I still need Word for compatibility with my clients. Exporting from something else is unreliable, and makes me look flakey when files I send people don't work the way they want them to.

Cold Warrior
Sep 25, 2007, 09:55 AM

Well, the pricing is out.
Macworld: News: Microsoft details Office 2008 for Mac pricing

Exchange support is separate!!? WTF!?

Version mania has hit the MS Mac team -- there's a freaking 'media' edition that is the only one with exchange support.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2007, 10:26 AM

So if all you want is the basic Office suite + Exchange support, you have to pony up $500! Wow, what a pile of suck... Basically, the Exchange support in Entourage is like paying for the home edition three times!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2007, 01:57 PM

If I want to stick with 2004, how much is this going to affect me? I mean, 2008 can read 2004 files still, right?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2007, 01:59 PM

I have no problem with this pricing scheme. Home users don't need Exchange support.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2007, 02:28 PM

The $400 "Standard" version supports Exchange as well.

Cold Warrior
Sep 25, 2007, 02:39 PM

What's the difference between them then? Maybe it's just a case of the news release being confusing... ?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2007, 03:56 PM

According to the article you linked, "Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition, features the Office 2008 applications and adds the Microsoft Expression Media digital asset management system. This edition also includes Exchange support and Automator tools."

Apparently, the Microsoft Expression Media digital asset managemet is something they bought from the iView guys.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I have no problem with this pricing scheme. Home users don't need Exchange support.
What about education and small business? $400 a seat is a pretty hefty price for an email client, and a pretty shitty one at that.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2007, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
$400 a seat is a pretty hefty price for an email client, and a pretty shitty one at that.
Duh?

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2007, 12:08 AM

January 15? Well.. At least they got the 6 month delay claim correct...

Oh well, I'll keep suffering with 2004...

Forum Links
Forum Rules