Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX Server vs. Desktop OSX

OSX Server vs. Desktop OSX
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2008, 09:48 AM

I'm curious to see what the difference between the two products are.
While OSX Server seems to have the following services that the desktop does not.
iCal Server, Wiki Server, Mail Services, Podcast Producer

Aside from those "extras" is OSX Server the same under the hood as OSX desktop or is its memory management setup to handle more background tasks. Does it have/use Time Machine?

I'm not looking to use Leopard Server instead of Leopard but rather I'm curious to know what the differences are.
( Last edited by MacosNerd; Feb 1, 2008 at 09:58 AM. )

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2008, 02:08 PM

Apple - Mac OS X Server

That will give a lot of info about Server. It is essentially Desktop plus server features. Some of the services shared between Desktop and Server are tweaked for their respective environment.
Vandelay Industries

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2008, 02:42 PM

Thanks,
I've been reading that and the workup on developer.apple.com.

I'm still curious as to the differences between the two - if there are differences that is.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2008, 02:43 PM

I think there are some subtle differences in pre-installed software versions, as installing MySQL behaved differently on our server and my client. Anyway, this site has all kinds of Mac OS X server info that might interest you: AFP548 - Changing the world one server at a time.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2008, 03:13 PM

There are a few applications that will refuse to run on Mac OS X Server. I remember that iLife '04 and iLife '05 had restrictions on the installer which would prompt the user that it would refuse to install the apps. I remember reading that some 3rd party apps behave similarly. There are ways to circumvent this measure, though.

Other features that stand out in Mac OS X Server are the iChat (Jabber) Server, which allows you to setup a private Instant Messaging server (handy for a network), a Directory Server, VPN Server, and such. Under the hood, most of the tools found in Server are also in Client.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2008, 04:49 PM

If this is being analyzed in terms of dollars and cents, you might also want to take into account that it is possible to get iCal/Darwin Calendar server, Quicktime/Darwin Streaming server, Cyrus mail, and everything else working on Client. OS X simply provides a GUI for configuring these servers that provide a variable amount of flexibility. Darwin Streaming Server provides a web-based interface as well.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2008, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Thanks,
I've been reading that and the workup on developer.apple.com.

I'm still curious as to the differences between the two - if there are differences that is.
Uh, yeah there are differences. You said you read it but you can't see the stuff in OS X server? Hint, the stuff on the OS X server page doesn't ship with the regular version of OS X

Forum Links
Forum Rules