Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > No Thread on Obama Around Here?

No Thread on Obama Around Here? (Page 2)
subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I said both of these Dems are unelectable. But I prefer people thinking otherwise.

Since you are so assured, why the preference for people thinking otherwise?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2008, 03:14 PM

Emotional investment, partisan team sports, the usual sorts of crap...

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Emotional investment, partisan team sports, the usual sorts of crap...

I'm hoping for a different answer, but that's the only rationale I'm capable of coming up with on my own.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2008, 03:51 PM

Why do I prefer people thinking otherwise? Because I like seeing overconfidence on the part of the Dems.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2008, 03:56 PM

Why do I prefer people thinking otherwise? Because I like seeing overconfidence on the part of the Dems.

I have a preference because I have a preference?

Why the non-answer?

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2008, 03:58 PM

Huh? I gave you the answer - I think it's good that the Dems are overconfident. I think it's good they think their win in November is inevitable. It will lull them into complacency and cause them even greater shock when they experience defeat. I didn't know I had to spell it out completely.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2008, 04:20 PM

Huh? I gave you the answer - I think it's good that the Dems are overconfident. I think it's good they think their win in November is inevitable. It will lull them into complacency and cause them even greater shock when they experience defeat. I didn't know I had to spell it out completely.

No you didn't. You keep repeating the what. I'm asking why.

Why do you like them to be shocked. As a lesson? They have it coming? You woke up on the wrong side of the bed? Deep philosophical differences? A Democrat ran over your dog?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
No you didn't. You keep repeating the what. I'm asking why.

Why do you like them to be shocked. As a lesson? They have it coming? You woke up on the wrong side of the bed? Deep philosophical differences? A Democrat ran over your dog?
score one for besson3c, huh?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2008, 05:02 PM

score one for besson3c, huh?

Yes and maybe.

Probably right on the rationale. That's what I think it is at this point, if only because there hasn't been a denial of it.

The value judgement part (that it's "crap"), is dependent on factors that I have yet to suss out.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2008, 10:15 PM

Personally, as a fiscal conservative, anti-tax, pro-gun, pro-gay, pro-choice, socially liberal person, I see Obama as an extremely intriguing candidate.

I think that he's an inspiring speaker and that he would be the kind of person I could enjoy representing me and my nation to the world. I can't say that for McCain, though I might align more with him on issues. I definitely can't say that about Hillary.

Nobody has ever accused me of being a "liberal" but as of right now, I think that I am voting for Obama. He has the "intangibles" that I like - youth, charisma, and a general sense of being uplifted. Hope is cheesy to say, but I think it's true. I hope that getting someone new and young in there will help bring the nation back together, rather than a bunch of pointing fingers and yelling. Probably not, but I can "hope."

Besides, he's got the best graphic standards of any campaign I've seen in years! (Graphic design geek!)
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2008, 08:39 PM

45/47

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2008, 08:46 PM

I think the overconfidence while certainly dangerous is quite deserved. I think McCain and the republicans are going to loose big and pay for the crimes of the Bush administration. I am/know many people who voted for Bush, twice, (and now sorry for it) who are supporting Obama because they see McCain as more of the same. They certainly wont Support Hillary but just seeing them support a (D) for the first time in 20 years is incredible.

Also take a look at the turnout in states with Primaries and then look at the 2000 and 2004 primaries.

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 16, 2008, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom View Post
Besides, he's got the best graphic standards of any campaign I've seen in years! (Graphic design geek!)
I have to agree with that sentiment! I love Obama's website and abhor Hillary's. There's some truth to the Hillary is a PC, Obama is a Mac joke.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2008, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom View Post
He does have a nicely designed site, doesn't he? And it has a platform on it, amazingly enough. It's a pretty well-thought-out platform, too, I might add, after finally reading the whole thing today.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2008, 04:17 AM

Yea, this is a quite pleasing shot. Very Kennedy-esque, not to mention.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2008, 04:20 AM

Kerrigan: are you an Obama supporter? I've always made you out to be a staunch Republican... Am I wrong?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2008, 04:32 AM

I'm a Republican, to be sure, but I have a pretty favorable opinion of Obama as well as his supporters (the ones whom I know).

I've been of voting age since 2000 and 2004, and neither time did I feel that I was given a good choice in candidates. This time around, I feel that either candidate will benefit America, on the whole.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2008, 01:26 PM

OBAMA ROBBED IN NY - New York Post

OBAMA ROBBED IN NY
By GINGER ADAMS OTIS

February 16, 2008 -- Barack Obama's primary-night results were strikingly under recorded in several congressional districts around the city - in some cases leaving him with zero votes when, in fact, he had pulled in hundreds, the Board of Elections said today
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2008, 03:54 PM

Chongo: the NYTimes was reporting that in some districts Clinton wasn't getting any votes either, and that this was probably due to some innocent mistakes and nothing sinister.

The NY Post kind of has the reputation for being a bit of a rag, doesn't it?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2008, 04:16 PM

Chongo: the NYTimes was reporting that in some districts Clinton wasn't getting any votes either, and that this was probably due to some innocent mistakes and nothing sinister.

The NY Post kind of has the reputation for being a bit of a rag, doesn't it?
most papers are
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules