Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 65)
ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
BSG will be released on Blu-ray after all! Thank the Gods!!!
This is what I was talking about. It looked like this was going downhill toward "Blu-Ray is better than HD-DVD" and "Your mom!" sorts of "discussions." Thanks for humoring me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Todays news means BSG on BR will come sooner or later. Hopefully they do a better job with the BR version though.
Let us know what it looks like when it comes out in 5 years.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Let us know what it looks like when it comes out in 5 years.
beats never sucka

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2008, 03:59 PM

Secrets Of Battlestar Season Four Betrayed In New Photo

Don't worry, nothing is spoiled. It's a teaser. Details, analysis, and more photos at the link above.

( Last edited by Spliff; Jan 5, 2008 at 04:11 PM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2008, 03:11 PM

Here is my Amazon review of the BSG HD DVD box set:

Battlestar Galactica is a reimagined version of the original series from the 1970, but with a lot more substance and infinitely better acting. It even managed to win the prestigious Peabody award, among many others. I was anxiously awaiting this box set to come out in hi-def, and was very pleased to hear Universal came through for us in 2007.

As expected, the original miniseries (shot on film) as well as some of the episodes (shot on high definition video) are grainy, but that was the directors' and producers' intent. In fact, I've been told that the episodes had additional grain added in post production to enhance this effect. Fortunately, the detail was well preserved on this release. Not only do we get the gritty look with the grain and the documentarian style, we also get fine details that simply are not present on the DVD. On the HD DVD, the image quality is a huge step forward compared to the DVD, not surprisingly.

Unfortunately, there are some technical issues with the authoring of this set. For example on disc two at approximately 55'37" in part 2 of the miniseries, there is a serious synchronization problem between the audio and the video for a short period. This is most obvious in the scene when one character is screaming at the other. This problem is not due to hardware, as it can be replicated on multiple different players, but appears to be due to improper authoring of the disc. Most of the rest of the set is properly synched, and therefore this problem may not be a huge concern for some people, but nonetheless this could be a deal-killer for some others.

This box set had the chance to be THE collectors' archival set for fans of this series, but unfortunately it isn't, because of simple technical issues that should have never been allowed to occur in any title, much less a relatively big TV release like this one.

I give this release 5 stars for content but only 3 stars overall, because of the audio synchronization issue.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 12, 2008, 03:38 PM

Decent enough review. If you are interested in nits (and if you can edit it), I'd point out 2 items:

"... the original series from the 1970, but with ..." - I think you meant to say "the 1970s", but you might have meant to say "from 1978" here.

"... but unfortunately it isn't, because of simple technical issues that should ..." - you refer to issues (plural) here, but only mention one real issue. You OK'd the grain in the video, so that can't be the other issue. From the narrative flow, I think you meant to say something about flimsy packaging, which would have been a 2nd issue.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2008, 03:42 PM

Corrected. Thanks.

P.S. I thought the packaging was OK so I didn't bother mentioning it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2008, 01:21 PM

So my good friend charlotte is on this new canadian show called M.V.P.
Charlotte Sullivan

I watched it the other day and to my surprise the Cylon Aaron Doral is also on the show with her (again playing a bad guy).

I am going to call her later and grill her for any sort of BSG dirt in true obsessive fan fashion

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 04:02 PM

Wikipedia says... More recently, Moore acknowledged that due to the 2007-2008 Writers Guild of America strike, the series might not be completed. Production was suspended on Nov. 16, 2007, all personnel have been laid off, and only 13 of the 22 episodes have been completed (including 2 episodes comprising "Razor"). Although completion of the season is not a certainty, production may resume quickly, but the remaining episodes of Season 4 may not air until at least the fall of 2008, or early 2009.

Anyone have any updates to this info?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 17, 2008, 07:46 PM

So my good friend charlotte is on this new canadian show called M.V.P.
Charlotte Sullivan
She's beautiful.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2008, 07:48 PM

I really need my fix..got the wife hooked, but now w/ the supposed demise of HD-DVD, we are now forced to watch horrible old fashioned archaic DVD's...
Joe

Lava Lamp Freak
Mar 3, 2008, 12:54 PM

Here is an eight minute recap of the entire series. I think it is a brilliant recap. Don't watch if you haven't finished watching season three yet. I assume everyone reading this has watched everything, but wouldn't want to spoil the ending for anyway.

What the Frak is Going On? | Videos | SCI FI Pulse

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 01:43 PM

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
Here is an eight minute recap of the entire series. I think it is a brilliant recap. Don't watch if you haven't finished watching season three yet. I assume everyone reading this has watched everything, but wouldn't want to spoil the ending for anyway.

It is brilliant. Favorite deadpan lines:
"Helo told her there was a bun in the toaster."
"Now there are twelve human models. Some actually look like models."
"They're following the Galactica through space, where cameras have a difficult time keeping up."
"Starbuck and Apollo like each other, so they beat each other up."
( Last edited by scottiB; Mar 3, 2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: removed spoiler tags)
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2008, 04:02 PM

Not available this side of civilization.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Ya what the hell is up with that? I mean it airs the same time here in Canada and the video is only kind enough to tell us I can't watch it AFTER it plays me the video ad. Apparently Canadians are good enough to do that.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 04:14 PM

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post

Lava Lamp Freak
Mar 3, 2008, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
It is on YouTube.

YouTube - Battlestar Galactica - Series Recap

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 08:43 PM

I had a look at the HD-DVD box set of BSG. That indeed is the shittiest case I have ever held in my life. WIth the cut corders it feels flimsy on the outer edge as the paper is so thin and the middle is rock hard.

Hope they put a bit more quality into it before it comes out on Blu-ray.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2008, 01:08 AM

I haven't been following the thread or any news of BSG. I just watched a trailer for BSG, and I guess this will be the last season.

I was hoping it would last a couple more years.

Is there going to be a spinoff?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2008, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
I haven't been following the thread or any news of BSG. I just watched a trailer for BSG, and I guess this will be the last season.

I was hoping it would last a couple more years.

Is there going to be a spinoff?
The spinoff got shelved and the worse news is because of the strike season 4 may never be finished.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2008, 01:30 AM

The spinoff got shelved and the worse news is because of the strike season 4 may never be finished.
I'm hoping they finish it with a couple of "Razor" type movies. I say "a couple" because I'd hate to see them try to wrap everything into a single two hour movie. Perhaps another miniseries.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2008, 01:33 AM

Why are they ending the series? it's a shame, I figured they could go on for another 4 or 5 years.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2008, 06:32 AM

Because the last season was so padded with stand-alone episodes. You watch it and you don't know whether you're supposed to be focused on the big picture of them avoiding/defeating the cylons and getting to Earth or just live in the day and follow the trivial stuff that's going on between the characters that never seems to go anywhere. I don't really want to see it end, but I'd definitely like it to get focused again like the first and second season mostly were so it doesn't end up being like Voyager where you just had to forget about the desperate struggle of a lost humanity and try to enjoy the travel itself. The original BG series didn't go on long enough that you started thinking that they actually would even find Earth... that wasn't an issue. This one definitely has.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 11, 2008, 01:13 PM

Moore swears the series will be finished. Half of season 4 has been filmed, the question is if the other half will be finished this season - filming may stretch into next season (later this year).

BSG Wiki has reported (based on a single source) that the spinoff Caprica has been greenlighted to go to series.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2008, 02:13 PM

Because the last season was so padded with stand-alone episodes.
That has nothing to do why the show is ending in season 4. The creator has always said that he had a 4-5 year plan with the show and knows the story doesn't have a 7-8 season timeframe. I mean still look how quickly Voyager ran out of ideas.

I think the 4 seasons works well with the pacing of the show. It is sad to see it end but it was still one hell of a ride.

The reason season 3 had so many stand alone stories is because the studio's pressured them to bring in new viewers as the ratings are so low. They thought with more stand alone stories people can just tune in weekly and enjoy it without having to see each episode. They were wrong.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2008, 12:00 AM

"Moore has no idea when the final 10 episodes of the 20-episode fourth season will be shown. The show’s cast and crew will be shooting episodes until June, and it’ll take until at least fall to finish post-production on the last batch of “Battlestar” outings.

There is renewed interested from Sci Fi in the proposed spinoff series “Caprica,” but Moore has no idea when or even if that pilot will be greenlit."

The Watcher - All TV, all the time | Chicago Tribune | Blog

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 01:52 AM

That has nothing to do why the show is ending in season 4. The creator has always said that he had a 4-5 year plan with the show and knows the story doesn't have a 7-8 season timeframe.
I wish the creators of Smallville would have done the same thing.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2008, 06:28 AM

That has nothing to do why the show is ending in season 4. The creator has always said that he had a 4-5 year plan with the show and knows the story doesn't have a 7-8 season timeframe. I mean still look how quickly Voyager ran out of ideas. I think the 4 seasons works well with the pacing of the show. It is sad to see it end but it was still one hell of a ride. The reason season 3 had so many stand alone stories is because the studio's pressured them to bring in new viewers as the ratings are so low. They thought with more stand alone stories people can just tune in weekly and enjoy it without having to see each episode. They were wrong.
According to that line, the filler episodes that he was pressured to do should have extended the actual story out to a 5-6 year plan. I think the padding de-railed the story so much and lost viewer interest to such an extent that the ratings dropped to where the channel said you've got one year to wrap it up. "Nothing to do why the show is ending in season 4" Ha! And I suppose that the fact that they still haven't started filming the rest of season 4 has nothing to do with the fact that they have no idea how to end the show whatsoever! Every time I see that line "And they have a plan" at the beginning of the show I crack up. Anyone want to clue me in on what either Ron's or the Cylon's "plan" has been for the past 3 years! Let me guess: to fly around in circles bickering about which way to turn?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 10:14 AM

Nothing says their plan can't have changed halfway through the series... maybe the plan they had at the beginning was scrapped before it was revealed when they realized they wanted something else

reader50
Administrator
Mar 18, 2008, 12:27 PM

... And I suppose that the fact that they still haven't started filming the rest of season 4 has nothing to do with the fact that they have no idea how to end the show whatsoever!
Anyone want to clue me in on what either Ron's or the Cylon's "plan" has been for the past 3 years!
If you follow analogue SPRINKLES's link, they are setting up to resume production now. Filming begins March 25 and continues through June, but post production will take until fall to finish the last episodes.

The Cylon's original plan was to replace humanity, along with a few side issues like figuring out how to reproduce biologically. It's not clear what the plan refers to today; the visible Cylons appeared to gave that up near the end of Season 3 when they withdrew from the 12 Colonies.

Today, the plan might be to get the survivors to lead them to Earth, where they can make a clean sweep by eliminating the rest of humanity. Or the line may refer to whatever the Final Five are up to.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 19, 2008, 01:48 PM

We have another source claiming Caprica has been greenlit for production by SciFi.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2008, 04:29 PM

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2008, 02:20 PM

"Eick: I think you're going to see one continuous story from beginning to end, unlike other seasons where we'd done a multitude of stand-alone episodes and episodes that would introduce different political movements. This is really going to be about starting from ground zero, where we left off season three, and a sprint all the way to the end. And I think the fans, really, are going to feel like they're getting their due. They're going to feel like they're finally getting the season of Battlestar Galactica that they have always wanted, where we're not worrying about inviting a new audience, necessarily. We're just really committed to finishing the story in a way that feels legitimate and at the level I think fans have come to expect."

"SCI FI Channel recently green-lit a two-hour backdoor pilot for Caprica. What can you reveal about Caprica?

Eick: Caprica is a story that Ron Moore and I concocted with Remi Aubuchon, and we're casting as we speak. I'm very excited about that. If Battlestar Galactica is Black Hawk Down, I would say that Caprica is American Beauty. Caprica is all about the inner lives of the people on a planet, and how their personal relationships as well as their professional relationships inform what will become the creation of the Cylons."

Tricia Helfer, Jamie Bamber, Katee Sackhoff | Interviews | SCI FI Weekly

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2008, 02:31 PM

With that description I'm not sure I'd want to watch Caprica.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 24, 2008, 02:45 PM

From here (published March 24, 2007)
Originally Posted by Ron Moore
It was a different kind of show. Instead of an action-adventure sci-fi piece, it was more of a prime-time soap, a sci-fi "Dallas." It was about a family, the Adamas, and a company, and it was about the creation of the cylons 50 years ago. It was not going to be space-based, but set entirely on the planet of Caprica. But it would have sci-fi touches, and it would deal with issues like artificial intelligence and the various schemings and backbitings that you get in the traditional soap opera.
This is a description a year old, before further rewrites. And the pilot has gone from a proposed 1-hour to a 2-hour that SciFi just greenlit.

I'll watch it before forming an opinion. But the description given back then worries me too.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2008, 10:01 AM

I wonder if they're thinking of releasing Season3 on Blu-ray at all? I'd be totally in the market for it right now but probably not in 2011. Why would they be waiting? It's like these companies don't think.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 29, 2008, 01:41 PM

They haven't announced Season 2 yet in high definition. I haven't run across any news regarding further video releases.

A reminder to everyone - Season 4 begins broadcasting in about a week.
US: in 6 days, on Friday, April 4th. (10PM / 9PM Central)
Canada: in 6 days, on Friday, April 4th. (10PM / 9PM Central)
UK: in 10 days, on Tuesday, April 8th. (9PM)

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 30, 2008, 05:53 PM

If you need to brush up on the story so far, check out SciFi's synopsis What the Frak is Going On?. Worth the time just for the narration. And take note, April 4th at 12 noon the S04E01 will premiere as streaming video on that same link for those of you that are the impatient types and can't wait until 10pm.

EDIT: Oops, just noticed that the "what the frak is going on" video was already posted above. My bad.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Mar 30, 2008 at 06:11 PM. )
Nemo me impune lacesset

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2008, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
If you need to brush up on the story so far, check out SciFi's synopsis What the Frak is Going On?. Worth the time just for the narration. And take note, April 4th at 12 noon the S04E01 will premiere as streaming video on that same link for those of you that are the impatient types and can't wait until 10pm.

EDIT: Oops, just noticed that the "what the frak is going on" video was already posted above. My bad.
Wow, that was a lot of Battlestar Galactica in one single clip.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2008, 10:46 PM

I wonder if there's a place to see it in Canada besides youtube. I can't stand the low quality of youtube for good stuff.

Visnaut
Senior User
Mar 31, 2008, 04:48 PM

I wish there was a way to watch the premiere in HD in Canada. Without having to resort to skiving satellite, that is.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 4, 2008, 12:00 PM

The season premiere is about to start on the scifi website.
Nemo me impune lacesset

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2008, 01:02 PM

Missed it, but will catch it tonight. I'm going to stay out of this thread until I've seen it, to avoid any potential spoilers.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 4, 2008, 01:27 PM

Well, no spoilers, I'll just say it wasn't a bad episode, but I don't know if it was enough to hook me back in after a year+ hiatus. Which was exactly what I was afraid of. That was such an unacceptably long break between seasons that I'm having a hard time getting excited about what's to come. Actually I'm having a hard time even caring. Too much time has passed for a guy with such a short attention span. Same thing happened with the last season of The Sopranos. I watched the first episode of the last season and thought "whatever" and didn't bother with the rest of the season. I really hope this isn't going to become a trend with networks.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2008, 01:32 PM

I guess I will have to watch the Season 4 premiere in crappy SD tonite, up here in Canada.

P.S. I returned my Season 1 HD DVD set because there were audio sync problems in the mini-series. However, now that HD DVD is officially dead, EzyDVD - Australia's largest DVD store is selling the set for AUS$31.66 plus $9.50 shipping. That works out to AUS$41.16, or $38 in US$ or CAD$. Hmmm...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
P.S. I returned my Season 1 HD DVD set because there were audio sync problems in the mini-series. However, now that HD DVD is officially dead, EzyDVD - Australia's largest DVD store is selling the set for AUS$31.66 plus $9.50 shipping. That works out to AUS$41.16, or $38 in US$ or CAD$. Hmmm...
Hope you used toast on em first

Oversoul
Senior User
Apr 5, 2008, 02:22 PM

It was a good season premiere, but it doesn't compare to the season 3 opening arc of Occupation/Precipice/Exodus. Amazing first 10 minutes of pure effects here, but I'm not sure the show has me as zealously excited for the final season as it did in its early days. I was a bit turned off by some of the turns the plots took at the middle of last season. I still don't buy the sudden revelation of the four humanoid cylons (it struck me as unnatural and sudden in the context of the show so far), Baltar being a messiah (I get that he's always been a megalomaniac, but who would follow him after New Caprica), and the increasingly muddied role of fictional religion in the stories.

Some interesting questions though. Where did Starbuck go and what's with the time discrepancy? Is it really Starbuck who returned? Who fixed her Viper? What do the Cylons do now that they know the final four (possibly five) are with the Fleet? Do they keep following the scrolls of Pythia or Starbuck's intuition? Will we see Baltar in a massive orgy with his followers?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2008, 02:49 PM

Awesome episode, couldn't be happier. I was blown away with the directing when Tai shoots adama and when anders got scanned.

Next week looks interesting as they show Brother Cavel saying "The final 5 are anywhere BUT with the humans" in disbelieve in hearing about them. The question is if they aren't with the humans where the hell else can the Cylons think they are? Perhaps they are some sort of servants to god.

Forum Links
Forum Rules