Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Terminator (the series)

Terminator (the series) (Page 2)
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2008, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
Good ep.

I think we're just supposed to assume he knew because he's been around and sen so many different ones -- and he didn't know about the reprogramming project since JC was keeping it hush-hush.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2008, 02:34 AM

I was really pleased with the way the did the future scenes; I was afraid they'd be too corny but I'd say they weren't.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2008, 08:10 AM

The door is tied to the future, yes.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2008, 12:06 PM

I was very disappointed with this last episode.

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 19, 2008, 12:23 PM

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 19, 2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post

Just remember that Cameron only obeys John, so it makes no difference what Sarah says to her. That's what was stupid to me: Sarah trying to coerce Cameron to obey her.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2008, 12:49 PM

( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Feb 19, 2008 at 02:17 PM. )

Cipher13
Feb 19, 2008, 12:56 PM

Seriously, if people don't realise there may be spoilers in this thread, **** 'em.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2008, 02:17 PM

You've never been in love then I guess? Besides they didn't show us the reveal, for all we know he threw a full-on hissy fit and then what we saw was after he got over it. I was glad they didn't waste time on that either way, we don't need to see that from every character one by one.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post

I'm betting they set it up to look like that, then there's a twist where she was following some brilliant plan future-John concocted for her. Then she gets crushed saving John or Sarah or both, because once you like a character again suddenly is the perfect time to take her away. But don't worry, they'll meet another incarnation of her about 5 episodes later, just about the time we forget about her character again. That's when we find out why she said she was "different" or whatever it was she said in the first episode.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
You've never been in love then I guess?
Heh. Watching too many bad chick flicks lately?

Besides they didn't show us the reveal, for all we know he threw a full-on hissy fit and then what we saw was after he got over it. I was glad they didn't waste time on that either way, we don't need to see that from every character one by one.
The way that response was setup (or at least how I interpreted it), was they totally avoided the situation cuz they didn't want to deal with it. Fine, but it just makes the love story part seem stupid too.

Cold Warrior
Feb 19, 2008, 02:59 PM

I'm betting they set it up to look like that, then there's a twist where she was following some brilliant plan future-John concocted for her. Then she gets crushed saving John or Sarah or both, because once you like a character again suddenly is the perfect time to take her away. But don't worry, they'll meet another incarnation of her about 5 episodes later, just about the time we forget about her character again. That's when we find out why she said she was "different" or whatever it was she said in the first episode.
I hope not. It'd be like B4 = Data because he transferred everything.

Same appearance, but just not the same in terms of the audience connecting with the character. I like to know that the characters have been through tough times together. Another model just wouldn't be the same.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post

Same appearance, but just not the same in terms of the audience connecting with the character. I like to know that the characters have been through tough times together. Another model just wouldn't be the same.
Reminds me of Battlestar Galactica. The different Boomers and Sixes kind of got irritating after a while.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2008, 03:30 PM

Heh. Watching too many bad chick flicks lately?
Sorry I forgot my tongue-in-cheek emoticon. That was supposed to be a joke.

Think of it this way... For 8 years he's been told his ex-fiancee is a psychotic killer that blew herself up, because she thought that time travelling skeleterminators were out to get her. And now that he learns that's the whole bit about the time travelling skeleterminators is true his only response is "That's creepy"?
1, he knew her and the psycho killer story probably never sat right with him. For 8 years he may have been wondering if maybe she was right after all. At the very least his gears were probably turning ever since John showed up a few weeks ago.
2, he's a paramedic, he's probably well practiced at dealing with shocking developments without flying off the handle. Or maybe he's currently in shock and he won't start to freak out until the next day.
3, his character seems to be better than average at figuring out what people are trying not to say. Maybe he was halfway to discovering the presence of killer robots already, and this wasn't a big step.
4, regardless of how this fictional character reacted to the discovery of killer robot time travelers, and regardless of the high variability between real people's reactions to real news, it's a little absurd for you to profess to know the difference between a "real" reaction to this fictional news and a "fake" reaction. In fact, I would go the other way and say that our brains have no biological or learned capacity to respond "appropriately" (whatever that would be) to things like time travel or killer robots, and without the element of danger usually associated in this franchise with learning these things, I think that stupefied indifference with a touch of sarcasm is a perfectly adequate reaction.

Then they decide to depart their ways as close friends so he can go back to his loving wife, like some sort of Hallmark TV melodrama.
What's wrong with that? Did you expect him to leave his wife for someone who still doesn't want him? Or to just disappear without saying anything? I don't understand your objection.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2008, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post

I think a good show is one where the character relationships aren't static. In this show they've already gone from scorning her to liking her, and that's good. I predict that dynamic won't just settle into a rut for the rest of the series, because that would be quite boring. I also predict that they won't go the whole show without some close friends dying, because for a pseudo war environment that's pretty boring and far fetched too.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2008, 03:42 PM

1, he knew her and the psycho killer story probably never sat right with him. For 8 years he may have been wondering if maybe she was right after all. At the very least his gears were probably turning ever since John showed up a few weeks ago.
Nothing in the show suggested he believed his ex wasn't psycho (if she did in fact commit those "crimes"). I suppose he could have thought she was innocent, but I think it's a rather large stretch for us to believe that he thought that Sarah Conner was in fact telling the truth.

2, he's a paramedic, he's probably well practiced at dealing with shocking developments without flying off the handle. Or maybe he's currently in shock and he won't start to freak out until the next day.
Shock is usually a medical term, which basically means uber low blood pressure. This is something that all the TV dramas get wrong, so I can forgive people for that.

Maybe you aren't referring to this, but most people who say "shock" learn the term from TV dramas who have a doctor saying that, with the completely wrong meaning.

3, his character seems to be better than average at figuring out what people are trying not to say. Maybe he was halfway to discovering the presence of killer robots already, and this wasn't a big step.
Eh? It's a pretty big leap to think he had somehow convinced himself prior to that that indeed killer robots from the future maybe did exist, just cuz his killer psychotic ex said so.

4, regardless of how this fictional character reacted to the discovery of killer robot time travelers, and regardless of the high variability between real people's reactions to real news, it's a little absurd for you to profess to know the difference between a "real" reaction to this fictional news and a "fake" reaction. In fact, I would go the other way and say that our brains have no biological or learned capacity to respond "appropriately" (whatever that would be) to things like time travel or killer robots, and without the element of danger usually associated in this franchise with learning these things, I think that stupefied indifference with a touch of sarcasm is a perfectly adequate reaction.

---

What's wrong with that? Did you expect him to leave his wife for someone who still doesn't want him? Or to just disappear without saying anything? I don't understand your objection.
My objection is that the writing here is not good. It doesn't sit right. They avoided dealing with it probably because they knew it would not be easy to deal with believably.

However, any show can have bad parts. I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come for future episodes.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2008, 03:58 PM

I think he didn't freaked out as much because he was already shaken when he saw John at his house -- John that was supposed ot be dead 8 years ago, and here he was alive and not any older than the last time he saw him. Same with Sarah.

So, to me, he kind of already knew something squirrley was going on, and the whole "confession" she had with him (off camera) was more a confirmation to him than anything.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2008, 04:36 PM

I got the impression that she stole the chip to try and find a way to duplicate her own memories and psyche. Whatever makes her different is obviously trying to come to grips with life and death, she's now thinking about her own mortality.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2008, 05:21 PM

Nothing in the show suggested he believed his ex wasn't psycho
I think the fact that he lied to the FBI to protect her, and when he finally found her he was completely nice and helpful and forgiving and NOT accusatory, both suggest he believed his ex wasn't psycho. Those aren't at all the things you'd expect to do for the typical "killer psychotic ex," those are things you do for "the one that got away" whom you still respect and/or admire. IMO.

greenamp  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 03:31 AM

Keeps getting better. The last scene with Cameron doing ballet and Derrick Reese watching her with a look of horror and disbelief was very powerful.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2008, 05:30 AM

I didn't like this series to start out with, largely because I can't stop comparing Lena Headey unfavorably to Linda Hamilton. But this last episode was awesome. I like the direction they're taking with Cameron, and Summer Glau is apparently the go-to girl for small, creepy chicks.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2008, 08:02 AM

and her ass is incredible in a leotard, but all of us Whedon lovers knew this back in 2002.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2008, 11:30 AM

So according to an ad during American Idol last night, the season finale is next week?? That's a short season. I was just starting to get into it.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
So according to an ad during American Idol last night, the season finale is next week?? That's a short season. I was just starting to get into it.
13 eps planned. Then the strike hit, so 9 complete. Next week is 8+9 in a two hour special.

Oh, and it's "on the bubble" apparently - in danger of cancellation. By some tasteless tw@t in a suit who doesn't know bottom from elbow.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2008, 12:13 PM

Is **** censored here?

Edit: Apparently it is.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2008, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
13 eps planned. Then the strike hit, so 9 complete. Next week is 8+9 in a two hour special.

Oh, and it's "on the bubble" apparently - in danger of cancellation. By some tasteless tw@t in a suit who doesn't know bottom from elbow.
Get back to work stupid writers and fat businessmen! Jeeze why they gotta ruin every good show?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2008, 12:20 PM

Yeah, the first season was only slated for 8 eps (originally 12). I hope it gets picked up for next season, but I've not heard anything definite.
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Yeah, the first season was only slated for 8 eps (originally 12). I hope it gets picked up for next season, but I've not heard anything definite.
As Doofy said, they're still deciding. But at least it's "on the bubble" rather than "dead as a doornail" like, say, Bionic Woman. Not that I think Bionic Woman deserved to live. But I guess the fact that they're still holding out hope is a good sign.
Chuck
___

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2008, 12:26 PM

After the writer's strike, you'd think it'd be cheaper for them to give a show like this another small run for its second season then try and get something new to replace it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2008, 12:35 PM

It's numbers have been fantastic, considering it's genre and target audience. I can't figure out what the **** more these execs could want.
- Thomas Paine

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2008, 12:43 PM

It's ultra insulting considering it's Fox -- it's not like they produce a lot of good shows.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
It's ultra insulting considering it's Fox -- it's not like they produce a lot of good shows.
That's sort of what I was thinking. What does Fox have that's better than Terminator? Nothing.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I give it 1 season before FOX cancels it and fills the spot with a reality TV show.
Heh.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2008, 01:02 PM

I've heard that Bones doesn't suck, but I've not watched it.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Heh.
If they cancel it, I'm done with that network. This is their final chance, they botch this and I'm removing the channel from my sat box.
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2008, 06:43 AM

If they cancel it, I'm done with that network. This is their final chance, they botch this and I'm removing the channel from my sat box.
I would say that, but there's no way I'm missing Dollhouse this fall.
Chuck
___

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2008, 09:35 AM

It's numbers have been fantastic, considering it's genre and target audience. I can't figure out what the **** more these execs could want.
Do you have a link to the numbers?

P.S. Monday's episode wasn't bad. I have hope...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2008, 10:14 AM

Do you have a link to the numbers?
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

?

Looks like the general public doesn't give anything time to grow the beard any more.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

?

Looks like the general public doesn't give anything time to grow the beard any more.
Those numbers don't look stellar to me. They have been steadily decreasing in terms of viewership.

I wouldn't be surprised if they axe it and I wouldn't blame them, especially as the writing has been hit and miss as has some of the acting. I overall enjoy the show, but it plays more like a cable SciFi or Space Channel show, than a mainstream primetime show for the masses.

Mind you, I hate most of the mainstream primetime shows for the masses. American Idol makes me want to rip my eyes and ears out.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2008, 11:10 AM

Those numbers don't look stellar to me. They have been steadily decreasing in terms of viewership.
Wait, where are you getting this? The numbers I see on that page appear to say that viewership has remained basically constant, but has been up the past three episodes relative to the three before.
Chuck
___

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Wait, where are you getting this? The numbers I see on that page appear to say that viewership has remained basically constant, but has been up the past three episodes relative to the three before.
No, you're just looking at the "rating" alone.

However, "Share", "18-49 Rating/Share", and "Viewers" have all been steadily decreasing. Furthermore, the trend for "Rank (timeslot)", "Rank (night)", and "Rank (week)" is also pretty poor.

To put it another way, it's third in its own timeslot, and ranked 40th overall, which is hardly "stellar" numbers, contrary to what Shaddim was claiming.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2008, 07:05 PM

No, you're just looking at the "rating" alone.

However, "Share", "18-49 Rating/Share", and "Viewers" have all been steadily decreasing. Furthermore, the trend for "Rank (timeslot)", "Rank (night)", and "Rank (week)" is also pretty poor.

To put it another way, it's third in its own timeslot, and ranked 40th overall, which is hardly "stellar" numbers, contrary to what Shaddim was claiming.
*sigh*

re-read what I said.

For a sci-fi series, it's pretty damned good.
- Thomas Paine

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I didn't like this series to start out with, largely because I can't stop comparing Lena Headey unfavorably to Linda Hamilton. But this last episode was awesome. I like the direction they're taking with Cameron, and Summer Glau is apparently the go-to girl for small, creepy chicks.
Sure she acts the character well, but Christina Ricci or Mila Kunis would have been better for the part.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Sure she acts the character well, but Christina Ricci or Mila Kunis would have been better for the part.
Ricci, too expensive.
Kunis better than Glau? No.
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2008, 09:19 PM

Kunis better than Glau? No.
Concur.

Biel, maybe.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 02:59 AM

Yeah she was good in that Blade sequel.

Ricci is way too ... let's say unathletic.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2008, 03:11 AM

For a sci-fi series, it's pretty damned good.
Not really. The numbers are pretty mediocre, which means for a sci-fi series on prime time mainstream channels, the numbers are... pretty mediocre. If you want "stellar", then you'd probably be looking at Star Trek: The Next Generation or X-Files or something.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2008, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Mila Kunis? Seriously? She's cute, but I've never seen any acting from her that's particularly impressed me. I like Christina Ricci, though I don't think she'd be right for this role. As Uncle Skeleton said, I don't think she could do the physical side of the role as well as Summer Glau.
Chuck
___

Cipher13
Feb 29, 2008, 08:02 AM

I think Summer Glau does an awesome job. I can't stand Christina Ricci, and have no idea who Kunis is. Plus, Summer Glau is uber hot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules