Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > CD-RW Drive problem on the Power Mac G4

CD-RW Drive problem on the Power Mac G4
ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2001, 05:38 AM

Hi, guys

I recently borrowed a Memorex CRW-1622 drive from a friend. It used to work on my Power Mac G4 when I borrowed it once. Now, whenever I connect the drive to the unit (both power and ATA cables), the LED power indicator doesn't light up. However, whenever the ATA cable isn't connected, the power LED lights up, and I can have the tray eject or close. This isn't possible when the ATA cable is connected.

Upon closer examination, I noticed that the drive was emitting a silent, yet persistent whine. This isn't heard when the ATA cable isn't connected. Also, I noticed that Pin 1 of the ATA Interface pins (top-right most pin) is apparently "submerged", thereby being shallower than the rest. I guess that the pin might have been pushed inwards somehow.

The drive, by the way, works fine on most PCs. I even tried swapping ATA cables, tried using ATA/33 and ATA/66 cables, to no avail. It simply refuses to work on my Mac.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mrmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2001, 10:03 PM

Try disabling the Apple CD/DVD Extension.

------------------
Sebastien Richard
Senior Mac Technician
SRS Technologie
[email protected]
Sebastien Richard
Senior Mac Technician
SRS Technologie
[email protected]

pjkim
Mar 4, 2001, 09:18 AM

Is there another device on the same ATA bus?
Have you tried changing the jumpers to change the drive from master to slave or vice versa?

Peter

ginoledesma  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2001, 09:24 AM

I doubt that the problem is software related, considering that there are signs of hardware problems. The LED doesn't light up when the ATA cable is connected to the drive, but the CD-RW drive acts normally when the ATA cable isn't connected to the drive.

I've tried changing the jumpers to master, slave, and cable select, all to no avail. the drive is the only one on the ATAPI channel.

Mrmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2001, 12:06 PM

I had a Matsushita in my old G4 and when i plugged it in instead of the DVD, it ejected it self and i had trouble closing it... it was reopening by itself. Disabling the Apple CD/DVD Extension solved the problem.

------------------
Sebastien Richard
Senior Mac Technician
SRS Technologie
[email protected]
Sebastien Richard
Senior Mac Technician
SRS Technologie
[email protected]

ginoledesma  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2001, 05:05 AM

I don't see how software is causing this, but I'll try.

Forum Links
Forum Rules