Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AVCHD import into iMovie '06?

AVCHD import into iMovie '06?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2008, 12:39 AM

I happen to hate iMovie '08. The times I use iMovie, I use '06.

Has Apple ever updated iMovie '06 to support AVCHD imports? Not that it's of utmost importance to me, as I generally use DV, but I'd like to know if there's some easy workaround to somehow get AVCHD into iMovie '06.

I suppose one could import it with '08 and then export it and then reimport the converted file with '06, but that seems like it'd be a pain.

Of course, this may all be rendered moot in iMovie '09. We shall see. One can hope. The glimmer of hope is supported by the fact that Apple released iMovie '06 for download when they released '08, because they knew so many would dislike '08. Perhaps '09 will take the best of both worlds and put them together.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Oct 19, 2008, 09:46 AM

Not supported. I import my AVCHD vids into iMovie 8, then export to iMovie 6HD. It sucks to do it this way but hate iMovie 8 too. I purchased some cool plugins from geethree for iMovie 6HD and can do some cool transitions. Hopefully, apple will update all of there software to import AVCHD without the down converting. Guess we will see in January.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 12:09 AM

You could always use Final Cut Express.

iMovie '06 isn't going to be upgraded to support AVCHD. It stopped getting upgraded/updated with features when iMovie '08 shipped.

Forum Links
Forum Rules