Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod stolen, report to apple?

iPod stolen, report to apple?
jay3ld
Senior User
Mar 16, 2011, 06:40 PM

Hello,

I had my iPod classic stolen today. Using some searches I was able to come up with a way to locate my iPods serial number (Thanks to a hint suggesting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPod.plist).

Does Apple accept this information and able to use it in any way? Such as a blacklist on iTunes or similar? I wasn't seeing much suggestions for searches I just did here, but all those results where years ago and I don't know if something has changed.
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 16, 2011, 08:58 PM

Sorry you got ripped off.

Apple doesn't track this stuff, as far as anyone's been able to determine. And iTunes doesn't care what devices access your account because you can authorize up to 5, and you can add and delete devices at will.

Your local police can do good things with the serial number though. Was anything else stolen? An older iPod isn't much of a financial loss, but if it's part of a larger theft, it helps add up to a more serious offense.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Mar 16, 2011, 09:04 PM

Ok, that is good information to know about Apple and iTunes Didn't know if they could do anything on their end. Would be nice if iTunes was able to check the serial number against a database of reported stolen devices and then remotely wipe it.

I already contacted the officer to give him the serial number as well. Nothing else was taken from my vehicle, but at least one other vehicle was reported as being broken into. I reported mine at 5am, so I won't know if others reported anything until it shows up in the paper.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2011, 10:06 PM

Call your insurance company. Theft of items from vehicles are sometimes covered under comprehensive.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2011, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Call your insurance company. Theft of items from vehicles are sometimes covered under comprehensive.
Be careful with this. You'll likely be hit with a rate increase. My homeowners rate went up after a reported theft so that I'll end up paying 4X what the claim paid out. Yuk.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Apr 5, 2011, 09:21 AM

Yea, I avoided doing that. It would of been 500 down and that rate increase. Not worth reporting for a iPod that is less than 100 in value.

Didn't get the iPod back yet. The police have the serial number and they think they have a suspect. So I just have to wait to hear any good luck.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by jay3ld View Post
Yea, I avoided doing that. It would of been 500 down and that rate increase. Not worth reporting for a iPod that is less than 100 in value.
It was even worse than that because they essentially "blacklisted me" from going elsewhere for insurance. What a racket. A single claim and they milk you.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Be careful with this. You'll likely be hit with a rate increase. My homeowners rate went up after a reported theft so that I'll end up paying 4X what the claim paid out. Yuk.
If one is always worried about a rate increase and never reports claims, why have insurance?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
If one is always worried about a rate increase and never reports claims, why have insurance?
Well, once I figured out the game they play, I jacked my deductible to the max. I figure if I'm only going to use it for a catastrophic loss, then why bother paying for a low-deductable. I figure I'm only making claims now if the house burns down. Screw 'em.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

philm
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2011, 02:05 PM

On a related note, this student managed to chase down someone who stole his iPhone with some help from a mate and Find My iPhone.

Student tracks down iPhone thief using GPS tracking technology | Mail Online

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2011, 03:00 PM

Apple addresses this in their knowledge base article. It states:
If you have lost or found an Apple product, please contact your local law enforcement agency to report it. ... Apple does not have a process to track or flag lost or stolen product ...
Years ago, someone stole my MacBook Pro and I contacted Apple. What they did for me was invalidate extended warranty with AppleCare, and to my surprise, they credited me back the amount (I don't know if they pro-rate it if you're already within the extended period).

Also, you may have other options depending on how you purchased your iPod. For example, if you paid with a credit card, check to see if your credit card has a protection service that covers theft. More often than not, this is usually limited to new purchases only though, and only under certain circumstances.

Forum Links
Forum Rules