Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X and Booting from External disk... "Is it just that simple..."?

OS X and Booting from External disk... "Is it just that simple..."?
CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2002, 06:25 PM

Hi, I wanna try 10.2, but currently I use 10.1.5 and I have Cisco's VPN 5000 software. If I screw up that software I'm pretty much DOA and I don't want to reformat.

I have an external 40 gig drive... Can I format it and just install a fresh copy of 10.2 on there? Is it as simple then as selecting that drive from 10.1 and rebooting? That will give me adequate chance to check out whether the VPN software works.

Also on the boot chooser... right now OS 9 is there and I'd prefer to remove it... assuming I boot the OS 9 installer CD and then delete the OS 9 System and Apps folder (can't delete them from OS X because there's a "file in use" problem), will that option just "go away" or will I have a dangling option?

Thanks,

-B

fulmer
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2002, 09:23 PM

if that external drive is firewire and your mac is capable of booting from firewire drives, then yes, your plan will work.

attach and power on your ext drive. put in the os x 10.2 install cd-rom. the installer disc may want to boot from itself before installing anything. let it.

once it boots your mac, you'll be able to choose your own hard drive or the external drive. choose the external drive, choose format, then install. Make very sure you're not choosing your own internal drive, as formatting will erase all data stored on it.

after the install, you should be able to boot from the ext drive. do so, and install VPN 5000 if you wish to test it.

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2002, 09:52 PM

FYI, Cisco is updating the clients for its 3000 and 5000 series concentrators for 10.2, so if it doesn't work right away, don't give up...an update may be needed.

CatOne  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2002, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
FYI, Cisco is updating the clients for its 3000 and 5000 series concentrators for 10.2, so if it doesn't work right away, don't give up...an update may be needed.
Yeah I'm sure they'll get around to updating them... actually I'm sure they're working on the 3000 stuff but I'm not as sure on the 5000 stuff as they're migrating users off that and onto the 3000. It could be the old "broom" method of getting people to migrate, but they'd probably get pushback.

The issue though is if it takes them even 2 weeks to update them -- I need to wait. And Cisco is kinda slow with this stuff -- it took them 6 months to support Win XP after that OS was released... and even now their XP client sucks (you can't suspend an XP box if the concentrator software is installed... kee-rap!).

Thanks for the info!

Forum Links
Forum Rules