Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Clean Jag install - any advantage?

Clean Jag install - any advantage?
joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2002, 08:12 AM

I was just wondering if there is any advantage (performance-wise) to doing a clean install of 10.2 as opposed to upgrading from my 10.1.5 installation. Anyone done both who can offer an opinion?

Thanks!

pilauh
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2002, 08:27 AM

I first did an upgrade install on my iBook, and everything just worked fine... but after playing with my new toy for a while I decided to do a "clean" install... I made sure to have my Retrospect 5 backup CD's in a safe place, and jump into the "erase & install" option....

after the necessary tuning due to the clean install, the backing up of my Apps, I let the system alone for a while and just worked as usual with the machine...

after a week or so I can say, it is really the best option to "clean install" 10.2 !!

n.b : based on true events...

late 2001 iBook (combo drive)
384MB, 20GB
OS X 10.2.4
Harman/Kardon SoundSticks

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Aug 26, 2002, 08:49 AM

I would have to agree with Pilauh. I didn't even bother trying to upgrade after reading all the problems some people were having upgrading. Apple has to include an updgrade option for individuals who aren't savvy enough, or don't have the time, to be able to erase and install, but its not the best way to install 10.2.

The installer comes on two CDs, and takes quite a while to fresh install. Any time you have that big of an installer, its always best to give a fresh drive to work with, rather than bogging it down upgrading an old system.

cwasko
Senior User
Aug 26, 2002, 08:59 AM

I guess I consider myself one of the luky ones. I did the 'upgrade' on my B&W G3 350, and it seems to run fine. No problems that people with 'clean' installs don't have. It runs faster and there is no odd behavior. I did the Archive and Install on my iBook 600 and it runs fine as well. There is obviously nothing wrong with a clean install, but I just have way too many apps to re-install and I really don't have that kind of time. It should be noted that I checked and optimized the drives on each computer before I installed 10.2. Then, after installation, I checked and optimized again. I'm not sure if this added to my succesful non-clean installs of Jag, but it obviously did not hurt either.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2002, 10:56 AM

I really would like to do a clean install as I always did under 9, but...

What about all those thousands of pref files in ~/Library/Preferences and what about my mailbox files?

I could of course just copy all pref files over to the new installation, but how do I know which shouldn't be copied? Arte there any conflicts to be expected here?

Can I import old Mail.app mailbox files into Jaguar's Mail.app? Under 10.1.5 Mail.app I couldn't find an import option for Mail.app files. There were all kinds of mail apps to import from, but Apple's own Mail.app was missing.

Can you Jaguar users here share some experiences on doing a clean Jag install? Thanks.

renpar61
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2002, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
I really would like to do a clean install as I always did under 9, but...

What about all those thousands of pref files in ~/Library/Preferences and what about my mailbox files?

I could of course just copy all pref files over to the new installation, but how do I know which shouldn't be copied? Arte there any conflicts to be expected here?

Can I import old Mail.app mailbox files into Jaguar's Mail.app? Under 10.1.5 Mail.app I couldn't find an import option for Mail.app files. There were all kinds of mail apps to import from, but Apple's own Mail.app was missing.

Can you Jaguar users here share some experiences on doing a clean Jag install? Thanks.
It's actually almost a no brainer. All your users will be imported directly (therefore preferences, mailboxes etc.) there is very little you have to move by yourself. There is an article on macworld.com about this, taking you step by step through a clean install, but I don't have the exact link.

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2002, 11:26 AM

The upgrade did take much longer than it did on my desktop machine.
Works great on both systems
I did a clean install on the Dual800.
Reality is the playground of the unimaginative

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2002, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by renpar61:
There is an article on macworld.com about this, taking you step by step through a clean install, but I don't have the exact link.
Thanks for the great tip, exactly what I was looking for. I found it at:

http://www.macworld.com/2002/10/features/install.html

ehunt
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2002, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Simon:

Thanks for the great tip, exactly what I was looking for. I found it at:

http://www.macworld.com/2002/10/features/install.html
thanks for the link dude...I was just pondering what/how to do it!!!
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules