Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Some library confusion (/sw directory)

Some library confusion (/sw directory)
CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 06:33 PM

Hi,

I was trying to install 'fink' (On this machine, it has *never* been installed before), and it complained because my /sw directory already exists. I went to my /sw/lib directory, and here are the contents:

[scuppers:/sw/lib$] ls -al
total 4888
drwxrwxr-x 8 root admin 272 Mar 28 10:35 .
drwxrwxr-x 4 root admin 136 Mar 28 10:35 ..
-rwxrwxr-x 1 blloyd admin 6148 Mar 28 10:35 .DS_Store
-rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 945416 Jan 14 10:19 libcrypto.0.9.6.dylib
-rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 634480 Jan 14 10:19 libcurl.2.0.2.dylib
-rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 634480 Jan 14 10:19 libcurl.2.dylib
-rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 15124 Jan 14 10:19 libdl.0.dylib
-rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 261776 Jan 14 10:19 libssl.0.9.6.dylib

These look to me like dynamic libraries for ssl and curl (duh). I did a search to see whether they were also duplicated somewhere else, for example:

[scuppers:/sw/lib$] find / -name libssl* -print 2>/dev/null
/sw/lib/libssl.0.9.6.dylib

It appears they are not. So, I'm wondering why these files are in this location, and not in say /usr/lib instead. I also don't know whether I should or could "just move them over" and delete the /sw directory and install fink. Is it possible that a software update perhaps utilized fink and left these files in this location? Anyone else seen something like this before?

Thanks!

suthercd
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 08:30 PM

If you intsalled the Virex package, there were/are problems with that installer. I had to remove that installation and the /sw directory before installing X11, the SDK and Fink. The Virex .pkg was improperly debugged and left the /sw directory.

HTH

Craig

CatOne  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by suthercd:
If you intsalled the Virex package, there were/are problems with that installer. I had to remove that installation and the /sw directory before installing X11, the SDK and Fink. The Virex .pkg was improperly debugged and left the /sw directory.

HTH

Craig
Ahhh... that could be it. So then the only dependencies on those (above listed files) are with Virex? How can I do dependency checking in OS X? Is there anyway to see what depends on those files? Not sure if it's an equivalent to 'ldd' except backwards ;-)

Thanks!

CatOne  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 12:35 AM

Just did a little checking on the fink site and on the linked McAfee Virex 7.2 help thread and confirmed those files in fact had been installed by McAfee. A little "drag to trash" followed by a second helping of rm -r remedied that issue ;-)

Thanks for the help!

Forum Links
Forum Rules