Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Orbital theme?

Orbital theme?
FB Eye
Senior User
Dec 15, 2003, 05:11 PM

It's funny that usually it's the other way around, but how about a nice Orbital theme to go with the nice orbital icons released last week?

Orbital 1

Here's another interpretation of the same theme:
Orbital 2

That'd be a nice addition to my OS X desktop

I certainly wish I could do it myself, but I lack the time and talent

Dave-o�
Senior User
Dec 15, 2003, 05:45 PM

FB you should look at this thread: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=191509 the Digital Device theme is moving toward these lines.. you might want to add a post there, since the creater is looking for feedback and suggestions right now..

Yours truely... (xoxo)

FB Eye  (op)
Senior User
Dec 15, 2003, 06:12 PM

Just did a search and found this:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hlight=orbital

Now, since Swiz has announced his retirement, anyone thinking of picking up this theme where he left it?

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
Just did a search and found this:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hlight=orbital

Now, since Swiz has announced his retirement, anyone thinking of picking up this theme where he left it?
I hope someone picks up where Swiz left off, this theme would look excellent on a mac. I'm surprised its taken this long to port it :'(
jesse ;-)

cmove
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2003, 06:46 PM

I want it too

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 06:56 PM

I really would like this too!
The easiest thing to do might be really to take the itunes type one in progress (as mentioned above) and make a gray variation of it, and use the Orbital icons. I have been making my own orbital icons (for my own use), but I have no experience with theming. A port really would be awesome, though!

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 07:03 PM

I'll look into it and do it if no one else wants to. I usually don't like doing ports but I might like doing this one. Unless it looks like other themes out there.. Milk and all those.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by orangep0ny:
I'll look into it and do it if no one else wants to. I usually don't like doing ports but I might like doing this one. Unless it looks like other themes out there.. Milk and all those.
Sure would be cool.
click one

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 08:19 PM

I'll try to help if you need any.

Originally posted by orangep0ny:

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by sweatervest:
I really would like this too!
The easiest thing to do might be really to take the itunes type one in progress (as mentioned above) and make a gray variation of it, and use the Orbital icons. I have been making my own orbital icons (for my own use), but I have no experience with theming. A port really would be awesome, though!
those icons are really nice you should release them

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 08:49 PM

Well some are the ones digitaljames ported and some are just ones i made up, since they infringe on all sorts of copyrights of the original creator I don't think I can really.

Originally posted by Phanguye:
those icons are really nice you should release them

FB Eye  (op)
Senior User
Dec 16, 2003, 09:56 AM

Sooo Swiz, what was actually done on your side regarding the Orbital theme? Willing to donate what you have?

Or maybe you were keeping this theme for an ultimate farewell surprise?

Dave-o�
Senior User
Dec 16, 2003, 10:26 AM

FB Eye and others.. You might try and ask Digital James if he would be willing to work on this Theme.. He seems to have some of the files already from the original creator. Though he is working on Digital Device rigth now, maybe after that? Hope this helps....

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 11:44 AM

I *had* some orbital resources but since Swiz had an early retirement I have since deleted the files. As for themeing? Theres no way I have the time or patience for OS X themeing. Thats why I have such high respect and patience for releases from those that do theme.

P.S. Whats this "Digital Device" that I'm working on?

dj

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
FB Eye and others.. You might try and ask Digital James if he would be willing to work on this Theme.. He seems to have some of the files already from the original creator. Though he is working on Digital Device rigth now, maybe after that? Hope this helps....

Dave-o�
Senior User
Dec 16, 2003, 11:55 AM

Bummer that you tossed the files, maybe Swiz has them still (Do ya Swiz?)...

DJ, i'm sorry i confused you with WICKEDfour and his iTunes/OSX Theme.. brain didn't have enough java this morning when i posted.. but i think it's better now.. So i guess i should have asked that WICKEDfour might look into this project.. ?

eep
Dec 16, 2003, 03:23 PM

Wow! Of all the new themes I've seen this one looks great. It definitely needs to be finished and released. With the icons!

BTW I would like to try and do a theme but I'm not sure exactly what I need widget wise, size wise, etc. Does anyone use some type of template to mock-up the entire window to get a feel of the final look?

Any suggestions on what software to use? Of course Photoshop but what about Fireworks?

FB Eye  (op)
Senior User
Dec 16, 2003, 03:59 PM

Which one of the 2 screenshots you guys like the most?

The first one has a "greenish-hue" kinda thing going on that I don't especially enjoy... would not go all that well with our Orbital icons. But the style is gorgeous! The 2nd one doesn't look as polished or profesional at the 1st one but I prefer the colors.

Maybe it should be done in the style of the 1st one but with the light gray/white colouring of the 2nd one?

My 2�

eep
Dec 16, 2003, 04:29 PM

I guess I should have been more specific. Veteran reader, newbie poster.

I saw the screenshot for DigitalJames using Swiz's theme in another thread.

http://www.digitaljames.com/orb-progress.jpg

That one looks great.

As for the two screen shots above I think the second one has a more finished look that would translate (IMO) to OSX. I think someone could clean it up and refine the look and give it a proper home on the Mac.

FB Eye  (op)
Senior User
Dec 16, 2003, 05:02 PM

Err, that one isn't Orbital at all, it's Cappuccino by Swiz

eep
Dec 16, 2003, 05:18 PM

D'oh����� Thanks for the clue.

Well it does looks similar. Did he ever release it?

FB Eye  (op)
Senior User
Dec 16, 2003, 05:26 PM

Oh yeah, it's been out for a while now. You can get it on this page:

Resexcellence

Not updated for Panther, and I don't think it will ever be

A while ago, Swiz was considering porting Orbital using Cappuccino as a starting point (they do share some similarities) Check my 2nd post in this thread, so you can see the older thread about Orbital

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 16, 2003, 09:29 PM

Sorry about the confusion everyone.
I DO still have the resources from dj.
I am going to add the Orbital theme to the Cappuccino update. Its justgonna be a bit because I have to finish JetBlack first.

But first and foremost I have to kick this flu in the ass because I cant gather enough energy to do anything creative right now.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Forum Links
Forum Rules