Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > G. W. Bush: The 10 Year Difference

G. W. Bush: The 10 Year Difference
BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 03:23 PM

I found this fascinating: A movie clip showing the contrast between the way Bush spoke 10 years ago with how he normally speaks today.

As I was watching this clip, my girlfriend walked by and commented that "he apparently read a lot better back then". Thing is, he isn't reading...he's speaking articulately at a gubernatorial debate, apparently under his own brain power.

A Dr. Joseph Price comments that the Prez presently seems to be suffering from "pre-senile dementia". FWIW, I take that with a grain. I don't know what to make of it.

GWBush: The Ten Year Difference

Solomon Grundy
Oct 7, 2004, 03:46 PM

Perhaps he speaks like an idiot now because the majority of those who favour him prefer it that way. Talkin' just like the common folk.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 03:51 PM

It's difficult to know what to make of it unless you see more than just a sample of a few moments from 10 years ago.

Here's one non-neuropsychological theory: Being "on message" is extremely important to this White House and they stay on message very well. That must be hard. You're always trying to make sure you don't say the wrong thing. You have your talking points, and you try to stay on them. But in trying to be so careful, you trip up on your words more often. When he was running for governor, he wasn't thinking like that.

Also, I don't know for sure about this, but I doubt that stumbling over words is a key indicator of dementia. I think it has more to do with memory.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2004, 06:12 PM

Also it is always easier to clearly and concisely outline a plan as a challenger, than to defend a record as an incumbent.

(Unless, of course, you're Bill Clinton, in which case you can do anything. Damn I miss him.)

BlueSky  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by BRussell:
Here's one non-neuropsychological theory: Being "on message" is extremely important to this White House and they stay on message very well. That must be hard.
It's hard work!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Bluesky:
It's hard work!
From the mouths of babes:

I'm sitting here, watching that, while my 5 y.o. son is sitting at the table, drawing pictures. About 2/3s of the way through the video, he looks up and asks "How many times is he gonna say that?"

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 08:28 PM

"I see on the TV screen that its hard work"
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

FauxCaster
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2004, 08:51 PM

Having lived in Texas, I can tell you W was not all that articulate 10 years ago. He made even more gaffs than now. This is nothing but selective evidence. He's never been a strong speaker. I've always cringed when he mangles the english language with new and novel constructions. SNL nailed him: "Presidenting is hard" and "Strategery"

He's always paused after big words as if he's waiting to be corrected or applauded, putting the emphasis in the wrong places when the big words come along.

I don't sense anything new.

Atomic Rooster
Oct 7, 2004, 09:58 PM

I think he hurt his head when he fell off his bike.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 11:39 PM

Maybe...just maybe...he's actually nervous as hell about talking to such a large audience?

Or...maybe he's scared about being the scapegoat for things he's really not responsible for?

Or...well, hell, cocaine is a hell of a drug. Yeah, that must be it.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

greenamp
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 12:42 AM

Partisan politics aside, that is extremly intresting. The guy was a rockstar 10 yrs ago (speaking wise), now he can't seem to get a sentence out without fumbling.

Perhaps he's under so much more pressure now, and everything he says is so carefully planned, that he has a tough time keeping up with it? If that's the case, hell, the best thing for GWB would be to be let off the leash. 10 yrs ago he would've creamed Kerry in a debate talking like that.

1995 GWB for pres

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2004, 03:21 AM

Why have the makers of that movie, during the segments of his earlier speeches, covered Bush's mouth? Seems to me as though they've been playing around with the video.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
Why have the makers of that movie, during the segments of his earlier speeches, covered Bush's mouth? Seems to me as though they've been playing around with the video.
That's probably just the timecode burn from whatever deck made the copy of the tape they acquired. You do that for logging purposes etc. and oftentimes those tapes get thrown out later (and that might be how they got their hands on it). I wouldn't read much into it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules