Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Observation: Is it me or are republicans the noisy minority?

Observation: Is it me or are republicans the noisy minority?
Link
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2004, 06:27 PM

Flame me if you will, but I've been sitting in on chats, forums, and all types of various discussion -- heck not to mention the stuff on the news, and so far one correlation has been immediate for me:

Republicans, while the minority, are noisier than democrats.

When you see someone practically shouting about "This isn't about the war, this is about John Kerry!" and blah blah blah, you KNOW they're republican, and so far I find that especially in debates, the republicans are the noisiest, most annoying people on said shows.

I mean @#$*(&.

It seems even more obvious on this forum -- take a look at spliff and zimphire, sure they're a pain in the butt but they probably practically RUN this part of the forum, if not guessing this only by the blind zealotry in their posts.

It's weird, isn't it?
Aloha

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 07:06 PM

"take a look at spliff and zimphire, sure they're a pain in the butt but they probably practically RUN this part of the forum"

Haha... so true.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2004, 07:08 PM

I'm of the opinion that Simey, Troll, and Logic 'run the show' around here. Granted, I'm good for a handful of one-liners - but you'll notice that I bow-out of serious, meaningful discussions. I like to keep it simple. Religion doesn't interest me - history doesn't interest me - but everything else does.

If I ran the show, I'd still be using my original name 'TNproud2b'*, there would be no political/war (sub)forum, and I'd fire pretty much all the administrative staff except for the moderators.

It's just an act, folks. I'm not Spliffdaddy in real life.

*a screen name that was banned at MacNN after I requested (on my own forum) all distributed computing team members (with 968 computers polling 6 times per minute) to continuously download a .jpg image from somebody's Apple iDisk account - in order to prove there was, indeed, a bandwidth limit imposed by Apple on its iDisk accounts.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 07:47 PM

Democrats say that about Republicans, and Republicans say that about democrats. You can go back and forth as much as you want on this, because in the end you'll still be back at square one.
Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
*a screen name that was banned at MacNN after I requested (on my own forum) all distributed computing team members (with 968 computers polling 6 times per minute) to continuously download a .jpg image from somebody's Apple iDisk account - in order to prove there was, indeed, a bandwidth limit imposed by Apple on its iDisk accounts.
Yeah, that was mine. Heh.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2004, 08:04 PM

Noisy minority? Not here.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 08:19 PM

Shades* of Richard Nixon and his so-called "silent majority". A silent majority implies a loud minority; Dems and Repubs take turns with each. No biggie.

*("Battling Green Eyeshades" of course)

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2004, 09:15 PM

well, is there a bandwidth limit or is there not?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by hyteckit:
"take a look at spliff and zimphire, sure they're a pain in the butt but they probably practically RUN this part of the forum"

Haha... so true.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 09:59 PM

"Topic: Observation: Is it me or are republicans the noisy minority?"

It is you.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by hyteckit:

Haha... so true.
Just shows how little you know.

Spliff is alive and well (thank goodness!), but Zimphire hasn't been here in weeks!

He was baninated from the Pol Lounge and I miss him.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:

Spliff is alive and well (thank goodness!), but Zimphire hasn't been here in weeks!

He was??? Zim? Man! I disagreed with him a lot. What got him banned?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 10:24 PM

I'm of the opinion that Simey, Troll, and Logic 'run the show' around here. Granted, I'm good for a handful of one-liners - but you'll notice that I bow-out of serious, meaningful discussions. I like to keep it simple. Religion doesn't interest me - history doesn't interest me - but everything else does.
IMHO

I'd say ebuddy & Simey are the intellectual 'horses.' Lots of long, well thought out posts on a variety of subjects.

MacNStein & You (Spliff), Spacefreak, RAILhead are all good, strong contributors and you pick your spots and are generally fair but you strongly support the right.

kido is REALLY good but he just pops in & out.

PacHead and Creeping Death are like hockey 'enforcers.'

Cody Dawg is a thoughtful, loyal compassionate conservative.

I know I'm omitting some other strong contributors, but Zimphire was a frequent poster, thoughtful, clever and almost like the 'ring leader.'

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
Ask him (he still posts in the main lounge but I never go there)...

Or even better, the mods?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2004, 10:41 PM

The admin is a militant anti-Christian. Therefore, Zimph gets banned a lot.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 10:54 PM

The admin is a militant anti-Christian. Therefore, Zimph gets banned a lot.
But Zim isn't the only christian. So was it something else? And are you and I risking the same banination because we are even speaking of the subject???

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2004, 11:07 PM

I live on the edge.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 11:13 PM

I live on the edge.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2004, 11:17 PM

I've essentially stopped smoking pot, so it's prolly time to retire the Spliffdaddy username, anyway.

PS, you shouldn't follow me out here on the edge unless you have a dynamic IP address.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 11:30 PM

I've essentially stopped smoking pot, so it's prolly time to retire the Spliffdaddy username, anyway.

PS, you shouldn't follow me out here on the edge unless you have a dynamic IP address.
I essentially stopped a few years ago, although I was never heavy into it. From time to time I wish I had a j, but no big deal.

I don't even know what a dynamic IP address IS! LOL

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 11:51 PM

PacHead and Creeping Death: MacNN Teenage Republican Death Squad

greenamp
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 12:03 AM

greenamp
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 12:06 AM

edit: duplicate

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2004, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:

No, I just don't bother checking this forum everyday. Haven't been here for weeks. But before Zimphire was baninated from this forum, he is very vocal. That doesn't change that fact.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

finboy
Oct 10, 2004, 03:38 PM

It's you. Most conservatives are too busy to waste time trying to explain the basics to folks in an online bulletin board. A few of us are intellectual masochists, obviously.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 09:25 AM

<snip>
but you'll notice that I bow-out of serious, meaningful discussions. I like to keep it simple. Religion doesn't interest me - history doesn't interest me - but everything else does.<snip>
::guffaw:: Someone admitted it
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2004, 10:02 AM

Is it just me or do democrats have this habit of posting disgustingly one-sided threads and offering leading questions, not to spur any real thought to a matter, but to paint all with a really broad paint brush and jin up support from their peanut-gallery?

I guess I'm a noisy one by your definition, but I'm okay with that. We need a little noise today.
ebuddy

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2004, 10:07 AM

Actually, it's just that many of us don't feel like wasting our time discussing our opinions with people who won't bother to listen anyway. I don't have anything to prove, no one to impress, so I don't usually bother.

Pretty simple.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2004, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
Actually, it's just that many of us don't feel like wasting our time discussing our opinions with people who won't bother to listen anyway. I don't have anything to prove, no one to impress, so I don't usually bother.

Pretty simple.

Maury
Then why come to the Political Forum if you don't want to discuss? I thought that was the whole point? I feel the same way but enjoy hearing the other side and stating my opinions.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2004, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
Then why come to the Political Forum if you don't want to discuss? I thought that was the whole point? I feel the same way but enjoy hearing the other side and stating my opinions.
The entertainment value.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2004, 11:29 AM

The entertainment value.

Maury
I suspect the conservative side plays with the liberals minds' more often than is realized.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2004, 11:40 AM

The entertainment value.

Maury
Fair enough.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2004, 12:08 PM

On this board, probably a fair assessment.

In the real world, outside this fairly skewed forum where people seem to be one extreme or the other, I would say it's the opposite.

Rarely (except in the case of the wacky anti-abortion crowd) do you see someone who is a conservative marching in the streets, protesting or vandalizing their opponent's campaign headquarters.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

y0y0
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
His inability to form a complete sentence? His obsessive and repetative posting habits?
But what about POLAND?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2004, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by y0y0:
His inability to form a complete sentence? His obsessive and repetative posting habits?
How did Lerk get brought into this subject?

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:

Rarely (except in the case of the wacky anti-abortion crowd) do you see someone who is a conservative marching in the streets, protesting or vandalizing their opponent's campaign headquarters.
That is a correct assessment. Conservative protesters are a novelty to the press because it is such a rare occurrence. As a result they tend to get more press in the short run because its deemed as a worthy news story. Look at Protest Warriors, they are a pretty small group compared to their same aged peers who protest on the other side but such a big deal was made about them.
Our society has tuned out the liberal out bursts because it�s such a common occurrence.
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Oct 11, 2004 at 01:09 PM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
How did Lerk get brought into this subject?

y0y0
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2004, 01:11 PM

Pretty simple.

Maury
And here again, I think this hits the core of the problem: Those who get upset that others don't share their ideas. Probably, we're all guilty of this, be it from the left or the right, I don't think it makes that much difference.

There's a big irony in this, because, if you're honest with yourself, who would come here and post if it was one big love-in and back slapping session? That would be incredibly boring, despite the fact that almost everyone gets upset at the fact that their intended audience, i.e. the other side, almost never really reads the posts they make.

I know that some people really do attempt to make thought provoking posts from time to time. I know I do and I know that Simey does, for instance, but a large amount of posters from both sides simply tend to treat this board as a textual shouting match, where you lose or win points based on their ability to deliver simple one liners and comebacks, regardless of whether the posting was logical or to the point or not. For instance one way of "losing points", as seen by some here, is a loss of face, i.e. admitting some kind of weakness or being exposed as having such.

I suppose one could think of it as a kind of text based King Of The Hill or Capture The Flag match.

Perhaps MacNN should simply contact the makers of Unreal Tournament to sponsor pol lounge tournaments? And I know, just by saying that, that some of our one liner friends will be considering making comments about how the other side won't have a chance, has lost before even starting etc.
But what about POLAND?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2004, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by y0y0:
And here again, I think this hits the core of the problem: Those who get upset that others don't share their ideas. Probably, we're all guilty of this, be it from the left or the right, I don't think it makes that much difference...
The issue with online forums is that they are a lousy means of debate. Further, people here are FAR more polarized than one sees in Real Everyday Life�. Due to this polarity, we have the usual "you're an idiot and just don't get it" comments and the "I'm right and you're wrong and you're too close-minded to know it" thinking. Thus, all "debates" simply spiral down into name-calling, posturing, gritch-fests.

I make loads of legit posts regarding my opinions and thoughts, but I don't often continue when the "kids" come out of the wood work -- not to debate, but to simply argue for the sake of arguing. This gets tiresome, boring, and old very fast. That's usually when I post a pic, too.

That's all I'm saying now because I have to go take a leak before my teeth start floating...

Maury

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2004, 01:28 PM

It's one thing to SIDE with Democrats... it's another to VOTE for Democrats.

I can't wait to find out how many 18 - 30 year olds registered this year and didn't vote. I bet it's sickening.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2004, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

I can't wait to find out how many 18 - 30 year olds registered this year and didn't vote. I bet it's sickening.
I will hazard a guess and say that the minority of registers will even remember that it is election day...

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2004, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
I will hazard a guess and say that the minority of registers will even remember that it is election day...
But they got to see a free concert - courtesy of MTV.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2004, 02:58 PM

But they got to see a free concert - courtesy of MTV.
LOL

free concert or voting... hmmm.... free concert anyone?

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 1, 2004, 03:46 PM

Zim doesn't run this forum.

Zim's fanboy's just can't stop talking about him long enough it just seems that way.

Take this thread for example. I wasn't a part of it till now.

And look how many fanboys are going on about me.

I haven't posted in here in over a month, and I was still "running" this forum.

Interesting and pathetic at the same time.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

Yes, especially those I'd describe as 'misguided' millionaires.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...1s1replay.html

"If history holds, the 28-14 result portends a victory for Kerry tomorrow because the result of the Redskins' final home game before the presidential election has always accurately predicted the White House winner. If the Redskins win, the incumbent party wins. If they lose, the incumbent party is ousted.

"Oh, yeah, he's going to win. It's guaranteed," said Packers safety Darren Sharper, a Kerry supporter. "I don't have to vote now. Don't even have to go to the polls. Saved me a trip."

I am saddened by this attitude.

swrate
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
LOL

free concert or voting... hmmm.... free concert anyone?

yes, especially if it's good music
strange and funny to come across this point thread now, was away then.
and welcome zimp in point yoyo land.
was glad S. Jobs position, so i stayed around.
and amazed B. Gates was the "other side"

reminds me I read a few minutes ago, (sig?)about EU "falling" to the left,(marxism, communism) wrong, it's turning right lately, it's as complex as the differences between the States, also
South America is on the left, does none worry about that?
(China... )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Zim's fanboy's just can't stop talking about him long enough it just seems that way.

WB Z-man.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

deedar
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 04:54 PM

Yes, they are noisy. AND they bite.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by deedar:
Yes, they are noisy. AND they bite.
Well, the lefties kick, so I guess it's even.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...op-shirt_x.htm
- Thomas Paine

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 1, 2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Bluesky:
Uh, yeah. I like myself. You should like yourself too!

Otherwise one would say you are insecure.

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 1, 2004, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
WB Z-man.
Heya.

I doubt I will be in here much BTW. The silliness I see has just gotten worse in the last month. That and the smell..

But then again, desperation never smelled good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules