Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which USB to RS-232 serial adapter?

Which USB to RS-232 serial adapter?
EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2004, 12:47 PM

The Keyspan is the most expensive, but presumably one of the more compatible ones. There are all sorts of cheapies on eBay. Will any of those work?

I want to connect my Garmin eTrex Vista GPS to my iBook.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2004, 09:43 PM

Not all of them work, but I know that the better keyspan one's do. The best advice I can offer is to find a forum based on your gps and then ask there, as there's more likelyhood of people having tried the different models on your particular gps.

FWIW, I have a keyspan adapter and it works with both my gps's, my heart rate monitor and my pronto remote control. Well worth the $35.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

EmmEff  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2004, 09:50 PM

I think it might just be safer to go with the Keyspan... $35 won't kill me for the best compatibility. Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules