Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Hook analog 5.1 speakers to optical?

Hook analog 5.1 speakers to optical?
jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 10:08 AM

When I bought my iBook, I didn't think I'd be using it this much. But now it serves as my primary computer, and I want to be able to hook up my analog 5.1 creative t5400 speakers to it. The problem is that my speakers don't automatically send a 5.1 signal from a 2.1 signal. In other words, if I only plug in the green stereo cable to my iBook, I only get 2.1 sound. The speaker system doesn't mirror the sound through the other 3 speakers.

Well, I've got the M-Audio Transit USB which has optical in/out that I can hook up to my iBook. I was wondering if there's some sort of solution that will allow me to go from optical (AC-3) to a 5.1 connection. The t5400s have 3 1/8" cables that need to be connected:

green: front left & front right
black: rear left & rear right
orange: center & subwoofer

I was thinking a surround receiver would do the job but would it have the 3 1/8" connections I need? I'm basically looking for the cheapest solution to this problem.

Kevlar
Mar 29, 2005, 12:04 AM

Would the m-Audio Sonica Theater help?
Intel iMac 1.8
Logitech Mx 7000
Firewave
Logitech z-5300 5.1

jamil5454  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 08:17 AM

Yes, it would get the job done. However, it would be another $100-120 I'd have to plop down, but I guess there's no cheap way to do it. I guess I didn't want my M-Audio Transit to go to waste.

Forum Links
Forum Rules