Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > HDDs in MDD: How should I arrange them?

HDDs in MDD: How should I arrange them?
TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2005, 06:25 PM

I've recently purchased a new 250 GB hard drive for my MDD dual 867 to serve as the primary drive. My former primary drive, a 120 GB, will be my backup drive. More space is the primary reason for this upgrade, but heat is another.

Before the 250, I had the 120 on the ATA-100 and a 60 GB IBM and a 30 GB Maxtor both on the ATA-66 channel. Things got a bit hot. Now, I'm moving the 120 GB to the ATA-66 channel underneath the optical drives and I'm putting the 250 on the ATA-100 near the processors.

I'm wondering where people think I should place the 120 GB drive within the ATA-66 cage for best heat dissipation. Should I put it snug up underneath the optical drives (of which I have two) or drop it down a slot so there is some space between them? The second option sounds appealing, but would it adversely affect airflow back to processors?
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2005, 11:34 PM

I used to have 4 drives inside the MDD enclosure, stock 80GB and 3x120GB drives. Right now, I have 1x160GB and 1x120GB on the ATA-100 bus. Meanwhile, I removed the ATA-66 supporting cage and cable for better airflow.

I never seen any heat related issue in this setup.

hotani
Senior User
Aug 29, 2005, 05:29 PM

I put the cage back in because I just put in a 300GB westy drive and the other holds my two 120s for the primary RAID. Temp report went up about 1-2*C which bothers me because it was already running at 60*C and I'd much rather it be closer to 50.

As for placement of the new drive.... Not sure which would be better, and I'm too lazy to move it for a while to find out.

I do plan on getting some of the skinny cables to replace the ribbons and hopefully get some better flow.

This box has always been horribly loud and hot. I'm thinking about buying a small fridge and moving the internals over. Plus I could keep a beer or 2 in the computer, how *cool* is that? oh my side... I'll be here all week, try the veal.
( Last edited by hotani; Aug 29, 2005 at 05:36 PM. )
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 08:40 AM

Should I put it snug up underneath the optical drives (of which I have two) or drop it down a slot so there is some space between them
hot air rises, yes ?
space works....
those cases were designed with their thermal properties in mind
but if you're still concerned about heat, add a fan or 2......
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules