Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > A game worth buying a PC for: SPORE

A game worth buying a PC for: SPORE
itistoday
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2006, 06:06 PM

I swear, I don't care what it takes, I'm going to play this game. If that means buying a PC to do it, then so be it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...03330420559198

I have waited for a game of this nature for a long time, and it'll be here, Q4 2006. Prepare yourselves gentlemen, your lives are about to be shot.

baw
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 07:46 PM

That is freakin' awesome. Will there be a Mac version?

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2006, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by baw
That is freakin' awesome. Will there be a Mac version?
I haven't heard of any specs being released yet as to the system requirements. If anyone finds out please let us know. Then again, I'm currently of the mindset that it doesn't matter what platform this thing is for--I am going to get it.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 09:55 PM

Oh man that looks sweet.

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 11:52 PM

That's the most amazing thing I've ever seen, if it can really be done!
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

a2daj
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 12:47 AM

That video was taken at last years GDC. I wonder how much has changed since then.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2006, 01:11 AM

A dream for us evolutionists. I can't wait...

Hey, if one were to start a petition to have Spore released on OS X, does anyone think it would help? It would be a slap in the face of the scientific community(that are all about Macs) that they can't play the ultimate evolution game. If I knew how to start one, I'd get it going with iweb...
( Last edited by larrinski; Mar 16, 2006 at 01:32 AM. )
My Blog-pakos.me

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2006, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by larrinski
A dream for us evolutionists. I can't wait...

Hey, if one were to start a petition to have Spore released on OS X, does anyone think it would help? It would be a slap in the face of the scientific community(that are all about Macs) that they can't play the ultimate evolution game. If I knew how to start one, I'd get it going with iweb...
Actually, I just realized that given the fact that Windows XP now boots on Intel macs, there's no reason for me to buy a PC, I was planning on getting the 2nd generation MacBook Pro anyways, this'll probably run great on that! I can't wait!!!

lookmark
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 03:05 AM

Dual-booting is going to be dream for gamers.

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2006, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by lookmark
Dual-booting is going to be a dream for mac gamers.
Fixed. Just couldn't help myself... it was like a nervous itch...

baw
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 04:44 AM

Dual-booting is going to be dream for gamers.
And a nightmare for the Mac game publishers as then thay have no reason to exist.

Duracell
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2006, 06:06 AM

sums my thoughts up pretty well.

It's Maxis! Probably going to be released for el'maco
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

Super Mario
Mar 16, 2006, 08:54 AM

Ever since Populus 2 I have been looking for a god game as good as that and this is it.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:13 PM. )

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday
I swear, I don't care what it takes, I'm going to play this game. If that means buying a PC to do it, then so be it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...03330420559198

I have waited for a game of this nature for a long time, and it'll be here, Q4 2006. Prepare yourselves gentlemen, your lives are about to be shot.
Oh my gosh....

This ... interactive universe ... makes everything else I've ever encountered seem like child's play by comparison.

It reminds me of "Chapter 5: Virtual Reality" in Oxford physicist David Deutsch's book, The Fabric of Reality. All that's needed after this virtual reality generator is completed are a quantum computer and a device to mimic sensory input for all five senses, and, voilà, we now have a de facto Holodeck -- just what I've always wanted.

-- DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2006, 01:16 AM

I don't know about the dual boot thing. Maybe for simple tasks, but if it is anything like linux on mac hardware there will be plenty of graphics problems. I think there is still a market for Mac games. Not many people willing to blow money on Windows just to play a game. Pretty expensive hack...
My Blog-pakos.me

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 02:39 AM

Not many people willing to blow money on Windows just to play a game
You must be new to the internet.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Mar 17, 2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by baw
And a nightmare for the Mac game publishers as then thay have no reason to exist.
Not really...as I have explained many times before, there are a number of complications that will make dual-booting Windows on a Intel-based Mac very difficult for the average user. In fact, I'd be amazed if any one of you kids managed to get Windows XP running a 3D game right this instant with the solution narf2006 has provided.

1. You have to nuke your HD and repartition it.
2. You need access to a PC to build a CD that is bootable on the Intel-based Mac
etc.

The huge caveats at the moment...missing drivers. You don't have drivers for fans in the Intel-based Macs. You don't have drivers for the ATI cards in the Intel-based Macs.

I'm sure the installation procedures will become more simple over time and some of the missing drivers will surface in the form of a hack or maybe as official drivers...but don't kid yourselves, this kind of stuff is not for joe n00b or even some of us with a bit of tech knowledge.

As of right now, you still can't play 3D Windows games on an Intel-based Mac. The real nightmares aren't those of Mac game publishers "that have no reason to exist"...the real nightmares are those of people that will have fried their computer running Windows with missing fan drivers.

Until you can pop the Windows install CD into the Mac and install it fuss free...Mac game publishers won't be affected one bit.

It would also be interesting to know how many of the people installing Windows on their Mac would actually have bought the games, be it the Mac or Windows version...and compare it with the people that have installed OS X on PC and bought the Mac version. My guess would be that the kind of crowd engaging in these geeky hacks would probably pirate games...and the few honest folks in that crowd would bring a balance to the Mac publishers (ie, the people that installed Windows on the Mac would buy the Windows version...the people that installed OS X on their PC would buy the Mac version)...for a net benefit of zero at the very least (considering there is probably be tons more people hacking OS X onto their PC than Windows on the Mac.)

Apple has increased it's mind share in the past couple years. This is slowly translating into increasing market share. Game publishers would be shooting themselves in the foot by refusing to port a game to the Mac and hope that these users will install unofficial and unsupported patches to run Windows on the Mac.

If Mac market share reaches 10%, you'd be stupid not to support the Mac. 10% may not sound like a lot, but it's tons...especially if developing for a platform that has relatively few games. You're sure to not have a lot of competition.

I'm hoping this stunt will work though...people are now all giddy about the fact that they can boot Windows on the Mac. I'm sure it'll push a lot of people to buy Macs...then they'll realize it's not that simple but it'll be too late...they'll be stuck with it and realize it's not that bad. Market share++. Developers see increasing Mac market share and start making Mac versions.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Mar 17, 2006 at 12:45 PM. )

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Mar 17, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday
You must be new to the internet.
And you must be new to Logical Conclusions 101...welcome.

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
And you must be new to Logical Conclusions 101...welcome.
There seems to be a misunderstanding going on here... w/e...

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2006, 01:36 AM

What I was saying, is that I don't know too many mac people that would go out and buy Windows just to play PC games. Of course I recognize that the market is 95% Windows...in fact I was until a couple of years ago. If I want to get a computer to just play games, I'd just buy an inexpensive windows machine with XP installed.
My Blog-pakos.me

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2006, 01:45 AM

Finally SimLife the way that it was probably originally envisioned...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2006, 01:14 AM

On a slightly tangent, I really wish Simgolf was on the Mac... I thought that game was hilarious...
My Blog-pakos.me

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2006, 08:01 PM

On a slightly tangent, I really wish Simgolf was on the Mac... I thought that game was hilarious...
I was always surprised that it never received a Mac port. It seemed like the perfect title for the casual gaming market.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2006, 12:41 AM

Ah, finally a good game in a while. It has to be released for Mac...or else . It's probably gonna have really high minimum requirements, I hope my PB is sufficient.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Duracell
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2006, 06:29 AM

Thought I'd add this -

I got a reply from [email protected].
I asked if there was any likelyhood of Spore being available for the Apple Mac.
Seeing as that's the kind of computer that I use, that would be useful to me.
He, or someone on behalf of him, replied: -

"Hopefully we can talk Aspyer into it."
Found on Gamingsteve.com
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
May 17, 2006, 02:23 PM

Thanks Duracell! That's gonna be one hellofa port effort...

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2006, 05:10 AM

It would also be interesting to know how many of the people installing Windows on their Mac would actually have bought the games, be it the Mac or Windows version...and compare it with the people that have installed OS X on PC and bought the Mac version.
Seriously, I doubt that the number of people who have installed OS X on the PC is significant compared to those who have done vice versa. Not only is it illegal (unlike the vice versa), but it's also exceedingly difficult. There are no publicly available products to run OS X on the PC, unlike the reverse. Where would the hypothetical players obtain OS X for PC from in order to play Mac games on the PC in the first place?

-- DekuDekuplex
-- Matsuo Basho

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 23, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by DekuDekuplex
Seriously, I doubt that the number of people who have installed OS X on the PC is significant compared to those who have done vice versa. Not only is it illegal (unlike the vice versa), but it's also exceedingly difficult. There are no publicly available products to run OS X on the PC, unlike the reverse. Where would the hypothetical players obtain OS X for PC from in order to play Mac games on the PC in the first place?

-- DekuDekuplex
Oh come on...you pull a thread-necromancy stunt on all of us and then you try to pick a fight where none exist.

I had posted that BEFORE Apple even announced Boot Camp. Of course my statement makes little sense now. But back when I actually made that post, it was much more difficult to install Windows on the very few Intel Macs that existed than it was to install OS X on the 500 million PCs that existed.

Tip #1 for you: don't bring threads back from the dead
Tip #2 for you: check dates at least so you don't look stupid and take things out of context

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 12:10 AM

Oh come on...you pull a thread-necromancy stunt on all of us and then you try to pick a fight where none exist.

I had posted that BEFORE Apple even announced Boot Camp. Of course my statement makes little sense now. But back when I actually made that post, it was much more difficult to install Windows on the very few Intel Macs that existed than it was to install OS X on the 500 million PCs that existed.

Tip #1 for you: don't bring threads back from the dead
Tip #2 for you: check dates at least so you don't look stupid and take things out of context
Okay, I'll accept Tip #2 (regarding only the "don't take things out of context" part), but not Tip #1, because I wasn't the poster who originally resurrected this thread.

If you check the posting date of the post immediately before mine, by itistoday, you can see that that post's date was "05-18-2006, 03:23 AM." itistoday resurrected this thread, not me. You can blame people for things that they actually did, but don't go around blaming people for things that other people did.

-- DekuDekuplex
-- Matsuo Basho

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 06:46 AM

So has anyone got links to reviews of the game?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 24, 2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by DekuDekuplex
Okay, I'll accept Tip #2 (regarding only the "don't take things out of context" part), but not Tip #1, because I wasn't the poster who originally resurrected this thread.

If you check the posting date of the post immediately before mine, by itistoday, you can see that that post's date was "05-18-2006, 03:23 AM." itistoday resurrected this thread, not me. You can blame people for things that they actually did, but don't go around blaming people for things that other people did.

-- DekuDekuplex
Heh...I guess I should use my own tips...tip # (the date part though).

My bad...sorry for accusing you.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
So has anyone got links to reviews of the game?
Release Date:
Q1 2007

They're aiming for winter 2006

svtcontour
Forum Regular
May 28, 2006, 01:22 AM

Spore is amazing....but I'm waiting for Crysis:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...49243&q=crysis

...high res version can be found here
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/05/15/e3...is_demo_video/

I will definitly have to upgrade my PC by the time it comes out (in a year I think). X800XT will not cut it for this game I think...

kick52
Baninated
May 28, 2006, 04:29 AM

oh god, that looks amazing.

lookmark
Mac Elite
May 31, 2006, 10:04 AM

You mean a game worth buying Windows for.

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2006, 12:14 AM

You mean a game worth buying Windows for.
Unless, of course, you don't have an Intel® Core Duo-equipped Mac®.

-- DekuDekuplex
-- Matsuo Basho

oldimacuser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 06:16 PM

I don't know about the dual boot thing. Maybe for simple tasks, but if it is anything like linux on mac hardware there will be plenty of graphics problems. I think there is still a market for Mac games. Not many people willing to blow money on Windows just to play a game. Pretty expensive hack...

I have had no graphics problems, I had to get an external mouse. Windows is cheaper than buying a second computer because the macs are the best.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2007, 06:54 PM

oh no they didn't!
Delayed till late 2008

we don't have time to stop for gas

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2007, 07:02 PM

hahaha love that image

Damn shame about delaying till 2008 though

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2007, 07:14 PM

yeah, i'm hoping it isn't purely for their financial quarter review or somthing, that'd be really low.. :/

highstakes
Senior User
May 10, 2007, 02:46 AM

Good news for me, gives me more time with great games coming out in the fall

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 10, 2007, 10:59 AM

Wow, that looks pretty neat. I won't be buying a PC though. I'll just reboot.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 12:19 PM

good luck getting it to run on a non-DX10 graphics card... :/

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2007, 02:09 PM

Get a PC for one game?

No thanks, even though Spore looks AMAAAAZING. I'll just go the cheap route and get a PS3. OOO, that sounded weird.

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 10, 2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
good luck getting it to run on a non-DX10 graphics card... :/
I have a 7600GT. Why wouldn't it run?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2007, 07:12 PM

because in 18 months that'll be old hat

Copywriter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2007, 12:36 AM

I've been waiting for this game for quite some time.

Just in case it won't be for Mac, I've got a good windows laptop that's collecting dust. It was previously used at a Civ machine. God knows it's not appropriate to be used for anything else.

Forum Links
Forum Rules