Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Please Help ~ I broke our new Imac G5 and I dont know how to fix it

Please Help ~ I broke our new Imac G5 and I dont know how to fix it
DCDSKT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2007, 06:20 PM

Ok so here is what I know that I did and I am completely clueless on how to fix it. I bought the imac from ebay and it did not come with original restore discs. I had a copy of OS X 10.4.8 that I was trying to use to do a clean format to get all of the old owners information off, It would not boot from dvd, but it would boot up originally, so I started it from disc but no install options, just packages and such, so i clicked on the os x package install and it installed and then restarted. Now it wont load up at all past the gray apple screen with the gears under the apple. I have been reading trying to figure out what to do, since using the restore discs isnt an option, I have reset the pram. When I go into Single User Mode now it hangs up at the the CSRHIDTransitionDriver:robe booting in single user.. do not match line and wont give me a command line. It wont boot from the copy of the os x or a copy of os 9. I really dont know what to do as Im a pc user not an imac user. It is a slot loader. Please any help on what to do would be greatly appreciated. Oh it is an Early 2006 Imac G5 (White) 1.83 Intel Dual Core
( Last edited by DCDSKT; Oct 24, 2007 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Forgot Information)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 06:29 PM

are you sure its a copy of 10.4.8 made specifically for your model imac? if not then you'd have to use original tiger discs which would mean 10.0, and if your computer was sold after 10.0 you'd have to install either with its install discs or with a version of tiger post dates the purchase of your imac.

does this make sense?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

cleary_jp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2007, 07:06 PM

You say in the title that the imac is a G5 but then go on to say that it has an Intel processor. The G5 and the Intel are 2 different types of processors and if your OS X install discs were made for the G5 and you have the intel (or vice versa) then they wont work properly and that may be your problem. If the imac really is an early 2006 model then it definetly is an intel model. On the install discs does it say if they are for G5 imacs for intel imacs?

DCDSKT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2007, 10:06 PM

I am sorry, I am a complete newbie to MAC computers. It is an intel core duo, I had assumed the "G5" was a model type and not the processor. I really dont know how to fix this, and kind of wish it was as simple as popping in an xp disc and format the drive, but I dont know what OS I would need, and I couldnt find a place to order recovery discs on the apple site. So I am at a loss here on what to do or where to start.

Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 10:29 PM

Mac OS X Leopard comes out on Friday. Buy yourself a copy, install it, your imac will be fixed and you will have the latest operating system.

Apple - Mac OS X Leopard

DCDSKT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2007, 10:46 PM

Thank You Adam, I think that sounds like something I should do

Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 10:54 PM

No problem. Do note that if you pre-order (And you should do it fast) On amazon.com, you can get $20 off, but you might not get it quite as fast (I've heard shipping dates ranging from Oct. 26- Nov.2)

Amazon.com: Apple Mac OS X Version 10.5 Leopard: Software

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2007, 01:20 AM

Did the eBay seller say on the auction page that the computer came without discs?

If not, he may have just forgotten to add them, and they are still safely in his closet.

Contact the seller, and ask about the discs.

Ask him to pack them securely (separated, so they can't rub against each other, and get scratched) and have them mail him to you.

This would be the no-cost way.

prominence
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 10:07 PM

It may be best to just purchase Leopard. (From one newbie to another.)

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2007, 09:49 AM

The problem is that machines will often ship with a "custom" build of Mac OS X, and will only work with that version or newer. IE if your Mac shipped with 10.4.5, you will have to reinstall with that version of 10.4.5 or any generic 10.4.6+

Also you have conflicting info - Is the machine an iMac G5 or an Intel one? You can go to the "about this mac" item in the Apple menu to tell you.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2007, 11:26 AM

stuffed, your questions have all been answered already.

Note that new machines include iLife on their Install disks - iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, iWeb, and GarageBand, all of which are MUCH worth having.

They do not come with Leopard.

You can also contact Apple and have them send you replacement copies of the original install disks for your machine for a nominal fee - which is what I'd recommend.

I'd install Leopard anyway.

DCDSKT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 01:55 PM

Ok I contacted the seller as someone had previously suggested, and they sent me the restore discs. My imac still wont boot up, I hold down the C key and nothing, it just goes to the gray screen with the apple and spinning gears. I really am at a loss, If the restore discs wont boot it then how do I know that Leopard will?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2007, 02:16 PM

Are they the right restore discs?
How long are you waiting for it to boot?

DCDSKT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 02:23 PM

The seller said they are for my imac, but I do not know. I hold it for a few minutes and when it just sits on that screen I turned it off, I dont want to break it anymore then I already have.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2007, 03:42 PM

Sitting on that screen isn't going to damage it. Just leave it for a while.
What does it say on the front of the CDs? For iMac?

DCDSKT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 03:50 PM

Yes there are 6 cds, 4 say Software Restore 1 through 4 Imac 9.2, 10.0.4. 1 says iMac Software Restore 1 says iMac Applications 1 iMac Software Install an then an iMac diagnostic cd

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Oct 31, 2007, 03:57 PM

those are definitely not the right discs

Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 04:07 PM

Those are wrong. Restore discs for your machine would be two gray discs that said "iMac" on them and in small letters "Mac OS X 10.4.something (probably 10.4.6)"

Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 04:10 PM

Apple iMac 10.4.4 Install/Restore Discs - (eBay item 180174524431 end time Nov-04-07 19:00:00 PST)

These should be the correct install discs, but check with the seller first to make sure s/he can accept returns if they don't.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 04:15 PM

Can you post a picture of the iMac?
Signature depreciated.

DCDSKT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 05:11 PM

Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 05:14 PM

Yes. Those discs are wrong and were made more than 6 years ago. See my above two posts, I provide a link for the correct discs.

DCDSKT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 05:16 PM

I guess the discs being wrong explains why they don't work. Thank You for the link, I guess I should order those now so I get this iMac working soon

Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 05:18 PM

Or try to get the seller of the iMac to buy them for you. If he said that there were system discs, and there weren't, then he sent you the wrong ones, you can file an item not as described dispute through eBay. Threaten him with that, and he might just buy them for you. On the other hand, if he never promised discs, then you could ask him, but don't expect a "yes."

Forum Links
Forum Rules