Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 sometimes gives yellowish tint to dark grays

iMac G5 sometimes gives yellowish tint to dark grays
Ham Sandwich
Sep 26, 2006, 09:24 PM

This is such a tricky one to describe, but let's start out with a few examples:

[1] Adobe Lightroom. In beta 2, black and dark gray meant just that. In beta 4, the background colors in the empty panes (where photos usually go) have this yellowish tint to them. There should be a dark gray there. I already have adjusted the monitor calibration. My other applications show dark gray correctly.

[2] eXec theme (requires Shapeshifter). When I load one of the eXec desktop backgrounds, which are supposed to be straight grayscale, the dark background colors (behind the X) range from black to foggy dark yellow instead of silvery dark gray. On my PowerMac G4 Cube, this was not a problem. Also, Apple's black and white photos appear correctly on my iMac G5 without any sort of yellowish tint.

It's tricky to describe, but even after multiple monitor calibrations, my iMac G5 sometimes will not display dark grays correctly. Usually, it's in the background of an application, such as with Lightroom, but it has shown up in only a few desktop pictures and, for a while, in the grayscale slider color picker from "Show colors." Search terms of "iMac yellow" and "iMac calibrate" didn't yield anything helpful. This problem did not arise with my PowerMac G4 Cube and refurbished display, but right out of its box, my iMac G5 had heavy yellow tint (which I calibrated), but a few things still will not show up in the correct colors. How come?

blackslayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2006, 10:18 PM

Since u calibrate and it does nt help..i believe you need to send ur mac down to apple center..are u using an imac with sight G5?
Imac G5 with isight and ipod nano


Sep 26, 2006, 10:21 PM

Are you sure it isn't just a bright backlight?
-

phantonym
Sep 27, 2006, 06:50 AM

I also noticed a yellowish tint on grey tones with my C2D 20" iMac, but a week later the greys have started to look normal. Maybe I've just gotten used to it.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 27, 2006, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by blackslayer
Since u calibrate and it does nt help..i believe you need to send ur mac down to apple center..are u using an imac with sight G5?
Careful, now... for almost all tasks that I use my computer for, all colors show properly (after calibration). But it's just a few here and there apps that show a dark yellow. So, it's not a problem with the screen. This is an original iMac G5 at 1.6GHz, no iSight.

Here, maybe the screenshot will make it look a little clearer:

http://home.gwi.net/~rdf/storage/ima...screenshot.png

(Yes, I know, I am using a theme, but I have tested various themes w/ and w/o ShapeShifter, and the themes are irrelevant to the determination of the presence of the dark yellows.)

The Finder window displays true gray by using the color wheel/gray slider, but Lightroom, which used to display true dark gray, gives this ugly yellow tint. Do you guys see it?

phantonym
Sep 27, 2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Andrej
Here, maybe the screenshot will make it look a little clearer
Sorry, my display never looked anything like that. Come to think of it, my display had a more orange/brown/red tint than yellow.
( Last edited by phantonym; Sep 27, 2006 at 10:24 AM. )

Ham Sandwich
Sep 29, 2006, 10:00 PM

Problem fixed. I picked "ColorMath RGB" for the profile so that Colorsync integrates better throughout all parts of all application. For some reason, my calibration didn't agree with the "standard" monitor requirements of Lightroom.

phantonym
Sep 30, 2006, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Andrej
Problem fixed. I picked "ColorMath RGB" for the profile so that Colorsync integrates better throughout all parts of all application. For some reason, my calibration didn't agree with the "standard" monitor requirements of Lightroom.
Yeah, my display also looks perfect now. It just needed to be manually calibrated. I can see now that the 20" iMac have an excellent display.

Forum Links
Forum Rules