Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > C2D mini?

C2D mini?
Twinkie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 12:50 AM

Anyone heard anything lately about C2D minis? I really want to get a new computer and the mini would be a great step up from my 1 Ghz Powermac G4. I was thinking the other day that since the minis were being sold off in the refurb store for $650 (from original price of $800) that i could buy one and ungrade it to C2D myself but then there is always the chance that as soon as i get it they will get an upgrade. I wouldn't want to go through all that hassle if there are rumors that i missed of new minis coming out before Dec. I haven't heard anything about minis in a while now, and i was wondering if anyone else has.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2006, 02:48 AM

there will always be rumors.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2006, 04:19 AM

Haven't heard any rumors, and I wouldn't really bet on it. The Mini is intentionally crippled compared to the rest of the line, and it just recently got upgraded to a full Core Duo rather than the low-end being a Core Solo.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

fk51785
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 09:18 AM

I'm sure Macbook will get IC2D upgrade before Macmini, since Macbook Pro got upgraded yesterday.
Apple 20'' 2.16GHz IC2D iMac
Apple 1G 2GB White iPod Nano
JBL Creature II White Speaker
HP Photosmart C3180 Printer

dbranham
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by fk51785 View Post
I'm sure Macbook will get IC2D upgrade before Macmini, since Macbook Pro got upgraded yesterday.
What makes you say that? I don't really think of the Macbook as being positioned above the Mini, performance-wise.

I think the Mini's more pressing need is a killer video card that will allow it to support a large display b/c there are so many folks who want to hook their minis up to a large flat panel TV.
Old Times There Are Not Forgotten

fk51785
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by dbranham View Post
What makes you say that? I don't really think of the Macbook as being positioned above the Mini, performance-wise.

I think the Mini's more pressing need is a killer video card that will allow it to support a large display b/c there are so many folks who want to hook their minis up to a large flat panel TV.

Because it was only last month that Mac Mini got upgraded.
(from Core solo to Core duo for lower model and Speed bump for both model)

And Macbook hasn't got upgraded since it came out in May.
Also because Apple sells way more Macbook than Mac Mini, I bet they upgrade
Macbook before Mac Mini.
Apple 20'' 2.16GHz IC2D iMac
Apple 1G 2GB White iPod Nano
JBL Creature II White Speaker
HP Photosmart C3180 Printer

dbranham
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 08:08 PM

Yeah, good points. Guess I just feel like the Mini SHOULD be positioned above the Macbook b/c the former is a consumer desktop and the latter a consumer notebook.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 08:48 PM

Yeah, good points. Guess I just feel like the Mini SHOULD be positioned above the Macbook b/c the former is a consumer desktop and the latter a consumer notebook.
I consider the Mac Mini as a beginner Mac (i.e. Win switcher) and entrainment center Mac

Heres the lineup in my book on how the Macs are categorized:

Beginner:
Mac Mini
low-end MacBook
educational 17" iMac

Consumer:
Mid- and high-end MacBook
high-end 17" iMac
20" iMac
24" iMac

Pro:
24" iMac
Mac Pro
MacBook Pro
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; Oct 27, 2006 at 10:40 PM. )
Signature depreciated.

kaido
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 08:51 PM

If you want to upgrade it yourself, it's not too hard. I have a big post over at Mac Forums with some upgrade information; here is the latest tech:

Mac-Forums.com - View Single Post - DIY: Trick out your Intel Mini

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 09:01 PM

I have seen the Mini as being positioned below, or equally to the MacBook. It was positioned roughly equally with the iBook in the PPC days. As the PB12" and ibook 12" and 14" market segments were merged into the MB line, I'd say that the MB site above the Mini. There was never a Core Solo Mini. I think the MB and Mini may see another speed bump before they switch to C2D.

This is, however, all speculation.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
There was never a Core Solo Mini.
Your kidding right? If not .
Signature depreciated.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Your kidding right? If not .
Oops, There never was a Core Solo MB.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
Oops, There never was a Core Solo MB.
Oh, then your right.
Signature depreciated.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 09:30 PM

I would not place the MacBook as being the same performance wise as the Mac mini. The only thing they have in common is the Intel integrated graphics.

When the top of the line Mac mini was at a Dual Core 1.66 GHz, the MacBook had 2.0 GHz.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 09:32 PM

I consider the Mac Mini as a beginner Mac (i.e. Win switcher)
I guess you've never heard of the need for an entertainment Mac to hook up to a TV. Or for someone who already has a DVI monitor, keyboard and mouse. Someone without a lot of cash who wants a new Intel Mac and are upgrading from a < 1 GHz G4. They would see one hell of a difference.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff 2.0 View Post
I guess you've never heard of the need for an entertainment Mac to hook up to a TV. Or for someone who already has a DVI monitor, keyboard and mouse. Someone without a lot of cash who wants a new Intel Mac and are upgrading from a < 1 GHz G4. They would see one hell of a difference.
Oops forgot to put that!
Signature depreciated.

dbranham
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 10:37 PM

I consider the Mac Mini as a beginner Mac (i.e. Win switcher) and entrainment center Mac

Heres the lineup in my book on how the Macs are categorized:

Beginner:
Mac Mini
low-end MacBook
educational 17" iMac

Consumer:
Mid- and high-end MacBook
high-end 17" iMac
20" iMac
24" iMac

Pro:
Maxed out 24" iMac
Mac Pro
MacBook Pro
I'd put the default setup 24" iMac above the MBP. People seem to assume the MBP is more powerful than it is simply b/c it's called "Pro," but the fact remains that it's a notebook. I feel like the only facet in which a MBP beats a default iMac is the video card. Sure, that's important, but what about HDD speed, HDD size and display size? The MBP is pro....for a notebook. But, you can basically put its components into a desktop and it effectively becomes a consumer model (a la iMac).

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 10:43 PM

I'd put the default setup 24" iMac above the MBP. People seem to assume the MBP is more powerful than it is simply b/c it's called "Pro," but the fact remains that it's a notebook. I feel like the only facet in which a MBP beats a default iMac is the video card. Sure, that's important, but what about HDD speed, HDD size and display size? The MBP is pro....for a notebook. But, you can basically put its components into a desktop and it effectively becomes a consumer model (a la iMac).
GHz wise it is as fast/faster than the 24" iMac. The 24" iMac runs at 2.16 and the MacBook Pro comes in 2.16 and 2.33.
Signature depreciated.

macdevil
Oct 29, 2006, 12:52 AM

GHz wise it is as fast/faster than the 24" iMac. The 24" iMac runs at 2.16 and the MacBook Pro comes in 2.16 and 2.33.
iMac 24 is available @2.33 BTO, $250 additional.

IMO C2D mac mini sometime after iTV is released. I would assume the iTV will be C2D and after thing else is bumped including macbooks, the mini will get its update. I know I am waiting to pair the iTV and a C2D mini and I will buy both at the same time. I am hoping sometime in the spring. If not my tax refund might get used a new mbp since my tibook is getting tired....
Tibook 800dvi 40gig, 1 gig RAM
iMac 24" 2.16 C2d, 250G, 1gig RAM

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2006, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by macdevil View Post
iMac 24 is available @2.33 BTO, $250 additional.
Oops, missed that.

I would assume the iTV will be C2D and after thing else is bumped including macbooks, the mini will get its update.
I don't think iTV will have a processor like every other Mac.
Signature depreciated.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2006, 02:50 AM

Chances are the 24" 2.17 GHz iMac will even beat the 2.33 GHz MBP in general use. The MBP is an awesome machine, but its form factor carries a price. The iMac's HDD is way faster and the GPU is superior. But of course, as a portable the MBP is the best there is while as a desktop the iMac is mid field.

Forum Links
Forum Rules