Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Printers and OS X.

Printers and OS X.
qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2002, 08:31 AM

I am in the market for a new inkjet printer. Probably look around the $150-200 price range ($AUD). What brand should I go for? It has to be obviously USB and have OS X drivers. I think Canon and Epson have OS X drivers out, but is there anywhere I can get a listing of printers which will be OS X compatible?

Thanks for any info

queenxyde.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Apr 4, 2002, 05:39 PM

Get an HP. Epsons such. All inkjet HP's on the market now have drivers but check with the HP site to be sure.

Iguana: The other green meat.

Paul S
Senior User
Apr 4, 2002, 06:01 PM

I don't think Epson sucks in the least. My Photo 870 is the best printer I've had, and I have had HPs as well. Epson drives for it were pre-installed in OS X so I just plugged it in and was ready to go.

gravy
Apr 4, 2002, 07:05 PM

I just love my new epson c80.
I have owned many epson printers
and never had a problem. the driver
for os x is great too.
that other guy doesn't know
sh*t about printers.

Angus Brown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2002, 09:47 PM

Hi, Iam from australia like you, and if you want a good printer in the price range you mentioned, go for something like i have, the epson stylus c60 (or you could prob get the higher model, c80 i think for maybe a little over $200.
I havn't had any trouble with it, and it works great with both osX and also when running in classic.
The only thing you have to do, is one you have brought the printer, download the osx driver fromt he epson website, so that it works with osX.
I dont knwo what you want the printer for, but it is really quick and great quality when printing out text documents. I design graphics and it has been outstadning for me, printing out fulll color, full page digital images on glossy paper. They come out excellent looking and terific quality. So I would recomend a epson stylus c60 or higher

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2002, 11:26 PM

For US $199 I bought a Lexmark x83 that prints, scans and copies. If and when we get reliable fax software for OSX it will hand off scanned documents for faxing. The latest drivers [1.2] solve problems with classic printing , the print quality is super. All around it is well worth taking a look at/

xenu
Senior User
Apr 5, 2002, 12:03 AM

I recently ordered an iMac, and was quoted the following.
All prices in Australian dollars.

Epson Photo printer 810 $419.
Epson C60 $299.
Epson C70 $490.
Epson C80 $690.

I ordered the C70.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Apr 5, 2002, 05:28 PM

Guys Epsons SUCK SUCK SUCK! I have 3 of them. They don't suck because of the print quality or because they bust. They suck for other reasons.

Every time you turn the stupid thing on it cleans the head by blasting tons of expensive ink for 2 minutes.

They are loud as all hell.

You are not supposed to leave it on all the time. On, off, on off.

You cannot use 3rd party ink now because they added a special chip that will see 3rd party ink.

You cannot replace the print head.

The paper is at an angle and bends over time.

You cannot replace the ink head if it is not empty (yes it is nessisary to do so sometimes).

HP's on the other hand.

Are so quiet you can't hear it.

You can leave it on all the time.

It does not clean the heads every time you turn it on by blasting ink.

When you replace the ink you also replace the print head.

The Ink costs less.

The paper lays flat.

It uses less ink.

xenu
Senior User
Apr 5, 2002, 05:43 PM

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

Paul S
Senior User
Apr 5, 2002, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Yoda's Erotic Piggyback:
<STRONG>Guys Epsons SUCK SUCK SUCK! I have 3 of them. They don't suck because of the print quality or because they bust. They suck for other reasons.

Every time you turn the stupid thing on it cleans the head by blasting tons of expensive ink for 2 minutes.

You cannot use 3rd party ink now because they added a special chip that will see 3rd party ink.

You cannot replace the ink head if it is not empty (yes it is nessisary to do so sometimes).

HP's on the other hand.

Are so quiet you can't hear it.

You can leave it on all the time.

It does not clean the heads every time you turn it on by blasting ink.

When you replace the ink you also replace the print head.

The Ink costs less.

The paper lays flat.

It uses less ink.</STRONG>

I have not turned my Epson off in 18 months. Never a problem.

It isn't loud at all. Old ones were yes, but the new ones are very quiet. I sometimes need to look at it to see if it's printing because a TV at normal volume is far louder than the printer.

When I haven't printed for several days, the printer goes into a warmup cycle which last no more than 15 seconds. Again, old ones took very long, new ones are very fast.

Epson brand ink is very cheap compared to HP brand. Yes, you can't use third party officially, but that's the case with HP too. I have used, and have a friend that uses 3rd party ink (my friend's Epson is only 6 months old) and they work fine. Both printers have the chip cartridges, but print fine with cartridges without the chip.

My paper has never come out wrinkled or curled up, and it says in there for weeks if not sometimes a couple months at a time before using up what's in the feeder tray.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Apr 5, 2002, 08:39 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 25, 2004 at 01:34 AM. )

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2002, 02:57 PM

Not every time. My 1520SC does it weekly.

Yes, they are. But so what? I don't print very often, and my laser printer (and my HP) are loud too.

I leave mine on all the time, no problems. Granted, I do have a more expensive epson with power management...

I don't particularly like this either. Get an older epson that doesn't have the chip.

Haven't needed to.

If you're not going to print for a while, take the paper out.

Yes you can. Hold down the formfeed button, just like you normally would the cleaning button. It tells you this in the manual...

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Apr 8, 2002, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Paul S:
<STRONG>
Epson brand ink is very cheap compared to HP brand. </STRONG>
Read any review on an Epson Vs. Hp. They all say they HP ink lasts much longer and ends up being cheaper in the end.

ibookuser2 why do you make all these excuses for your Epson, just because your print head doesn't have any issue's doesn't mean it is not a stupid problem. Same goes for the paper then bends over time.

Get an HP and then compare.

j mars
Apr 8, 2002, 08:22 PM

For lords sake DON'T get a HP AIO printer. The hardware is great, print qualitity is terrific, the drivers (OSX or OS9.xx) are TERRIBLE. Customer service does not exist.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Apr 8, 2002, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by j mars:
<STRONG>For lords sake DON'T get a HP AIO printer. The hardware is great, print qualitity is terrific, the drivers (OSX or OS9.xx) are TERRIBLE. Customer service does not exist.</STRONG>
The Epson Drivers are just as bad and they came later.

Paul S
Senior User
Apr 9, 2002, 10:03 AM

Epson's drivers are not bad at all. My Epson Photo 870 is on my network. When I got my new 933 tower, I just went to the print center and my Epson was there waiting for me. I had to do NOTHING to set it up. I just hit print and it was there. You can't get better than that.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2002, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by Paul S:
<STRONG>Epson's drivers are not bad at all. My Epson Photo 870 is on my network. When I got my new 933 tower, I just went to the print center and my Epson was there waiting for me. I had to do NOTHING to set it up. I just hit print and it was there. You can't get better than that.</STRONG>
The Epson c60 has some major driver issues for some people. Same goes for lexmark.

Also look here: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=46&t=005248

and
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=4&t=005322

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: I Bent My Wookiee ]

"Barwaraaawww"

Forum Links
Forum Rules