Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > System Cooling

System Cooling
ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2000, 05:37 AM

Hi there!

I'd like to know if any of you have tried cooling your systems. I'm impressed by Apple's fan-less cooling system in the Power Macs, especially since the temperature range is somewhere in the 28�38 �C (82.4�100.4 �F), which is quite good.

Would you recommend going down further, say bringing CPU temp to 23 �C (73.4 �F) and the system temp to 28 �C (82.4 �F)?

How would you go about it?

And also of hard disks? Some have recommended me to get a hard disk cooling system to reduce the hard disk heat...

What do you think?

Cipher13
Sep 28, 2000, 05:57 AM

Well, I don't know about you, but I see no need for it. The PowerMacs run so cool there is no need, even with several hard drives. I will be getting a new 7200 rpm HD soon, and won't even be considering a HD cooling system...
Its really not necessary, unless you're overclocking or running a lot of fast HD's, so don't bother...
By any chance are the ppl that recommended it peecee'rs? If so, then I understand it, as they often take it as a fact of life to need incredible cooling systems

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 09-28-2000).]

ginoledesma  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2000, 06:06 AM

You're right... PC people recommended it to me.

But that was just a thought. Because one of my old hard disks is really heating up.

denim
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2000, 01:27 PM

Then treat that hard disk extra carefully. It's probably getting ready to fail. Make sure you keep good backups of anything important on it, or move everything important off, and only use it for stuff you don't care about.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

jeffreyloaf
Sep 28, 2000, 06:23 PM

You should not worry about your cpu temp too much. Apple does a lot of testing and if were needed it would be there.

Do a search of the forms and you will find that very few people have a problem at all with heat.

I am member of the Macnn seti at home team and my G3 350 that is overclocked too 400 mhz has never had a problem.
And it is doing all of those calculations for at least 9 straight hours per day. (come on and join the team)

As to the hard drive.
It will get hot if you use virtual memory. Remember that files half to be swapped back and forth between real memory and the hard drive. Don't be cheap on real memory.

I hardly have my hard drive spin up any more (I have 256 MB ram).

Just make sure to clean your machine and it will be fine.

Jeff
In god we trust/ Cash is king /All others pay thru the nose

ginoledesma  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2000, 12:09 AM

OK, thanks...

I should've known better than to doubt the system's capability. Actually, I guess it was just because I've overclocked and cooled a couple of custom-built PCs in the past few days. I just got curious.

In any case, I'm happy with the temperature, and it hasn't failed me so far. That's good news.

denim
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2000, 10:11 AM

Cool!
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Forum Links
Forum Rules