Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Problems with PowerBook...

Airport Problems with PowerBook...
BronteJD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2006, 10:44 AM

Good morning, everyone.

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but it's worth a start. (Also posted it in the PowerBook forum)...

My 12" powerbook had a tiny fall a couple of weeks ago. Since that time, the airport card has been "nonexistent" - that is, the system doesn't acknowledge that I even have one.

I took it to the Genius Bar, and was told that the card had been damaged in the fall, and since it is built in to the motherboard, it couldn't be repaired, but the whole board had to be replaced, to the tune of $1,000.

The person at the Genius Bar suggested that I purchase an external card??? How does this work, what would I need to buy?

I am confused, because upon looking at the system requirements for the cards available, it tells me that the "The AirPort Extreme Card can be installed only in computers that are AirPort Extreme ready. AirPort Extreme Cards cannot be used in AirPort-ready computers with an AirPort Card slot."

Does the fact that my computer does not acknowledge my card mean that I am NOT "airport extreme ready"??

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BronteJD

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 05:18 PM

External wireless cards came in cardbus, USB and ethernet varieties. In your case only USB and ethernet apply. I would recommend a USB 2.0 adapter.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 17, 2006, 09:59 PM

Great advice. Look closely at whatever USB device you buy to make sure it supports OS X explicitly. Hunting down drivers for a device that really doesn't support OS X is a heartbreaking and exhausting problem sometimes.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 04:14 PM

Here's a good resource for Mac compatibility.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~metaphyzx/Wireless.htm

Manufacturers can, and will, start using a different chip which could render the device useless to us Mac users. The trick is to determine if there are multiple revisions of the device, and to make sure you know which revision (if any) you are buying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules