Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What SD card for a DSLR?

What SD card for a DSLR?
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2008, 11:11 AM

Are they all the same, or are there differences in speed / reliability etc?
Thanks!

Railroader
Banned
Mar 27, 2008, 12:14 PM

I have been buying Kensingtons lately, but most major brands are pretty good like SanDisk. I usually buy 80X or faster media.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Mar 27, 2008, 12:46 PM

I am pretty much a sandisk fan. Never had a problem. Just picked up a 8GB extreme III for 80 bucks from buy.com. Faster record time for multiple instant snapshots.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2008, 12:29 AM

Sandisk.

Why save a few dollars on such a key item.

It's like buying a cheap external hard drive...

There are, of course, other good brands. But the price range will be approx. the same as Sandisk's.

badidea
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2008, 07:06 AM

I second Sandisk.

If you are shooting RAW, I would get a card that is as fast as possible - in case of Sandisk that would be an extreme III then, just like bearcatrp already said!

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2008, 01:26 AM

I have a Class 4 4GB SDHC card in mine. It's PNY brand, I got it for $15 at Sears during a sale. Works great, and my camera maxes out at 3 or so frames per second, I've never had a problem with speed or anything.

That said, name brands are a good bet, Kingston, Sandisk and such. Also, I make sure to offload my pics as soon as I'm near my computer. I've had a microSD card crap out on me when it was just a few weeks old. It was a Sandisk.
ice

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2008, 04:52 AM

I really like the SD cards with the built in USB plug.
we don't have time to stop for gas

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2008, 03:57 PM

Any Class 6 SDHC card.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2008, 04:11 PM

peeb.... what camera have you got??
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2008, 05:59 PM

Nikon D40.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 7, 2008, 07:35 PM

A lot of folks here have Nikons, so they'll be able to provide specific advice, but it's important to note that given a theoretically "faster than anything" SD card, the speed of the camera is the more important factor. No matter how fast your card, a camera that doesn't take advantage of it won't benefit from a fast card at all. I doubt that high-end cameras like the D40 are anything to worry about, but the "entry level" DSLR market probably is full of cameras that access the storage media slowly, and that's something to be aware of when buying both the camera and the media.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2008, 09:03 PM

The D40 is an entry level DSLR, but gets about 3 shots per second - I was basically wondering whether different speed cards would affect this, or whether the bottleneck is elsewhere?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 7, 2008, 09:40 PM

Compared to some, the D40 is well above the "entry level" I was thinking of. Still, somewhere in the documentation it should say what speed it connects to the SD card at...

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2008, 09:42 PM

Thanks - I'll have a rummage.

mkerr64
Senior User
Apr 7, 2008, 11:15 PM

if your planning to get one tigerdirect.com has some really good deals.
im using a 16gb extreme Sandisk on my d200
i found it really fast in comparison to others
R.I.P Steve Jobs

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2008, 01:38 AM

I'd just assume get a fast card, they're all cheap. When you fill the buffer on a D40 continuous frame shooting speed drops a bit, and even at it's best it's only about 2.5fps.

some good info concerning this topic here:

Nikon D40 Review: 13. Timings & Sizes: Digital Photography Review
( Last edited by IceEnclosure; Apr 8, 2008 at 02:55 AM. Reason: cleaned up a bit)
ice

richwig83
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 05:26 AM

Id recommend getting the fastest card you can, even if your D40 only does 3 sps! You'll reap the benefits when transferring lots of photos!

I just got a 4gb Sandisk Extreme III (albeit CF) for my 40D and its like lightening!

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 8, 2008, 09:24 AM

While I'd generally agree with both IceEnclosure and richwig83, I have a few reservations about their recommendations. First "they're NOT all cheap." When you go past a certain speed spec, even fairly small SD cards start getting more expensive, and it's a good idea to consider whether you need "ludicrous speed" media of a certain capacity, or just really fast media at twice that capacity or more. And while getting "faster than you need" is a fine idea, you can take it to an extreme. I'd get the most economical, fastest card I could, and move up later when I needed faster-because by then faster will indeed be cheaper.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
While I'd generally agree with both IceEnclosure and richwig83, I have a few reservations about their recommendations. First "they're NOT all cheap." When you go past a certain speed spec, even fairly small SD cards start getting more expensive, and it's a good idea to consider whether you need "ludicrous speed" media of a certain capacity, or just really fast media at twice that capacity or more. And while getting "faster than you need" is a fine idea, you can take it to an extreme. I'd get the most economical, fastest card I could, and move up later when I needed faster-because by then faster will indeed be cheaper.

I'll rephrase then: "If it's not cheap, don't buy it!"

Class 4 or faster should definitely be fast enough for DSLR use.
ice

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 9, 2008, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
I'll rephrase then: "If it's not cheap, don't buy it!"

Class 4 or faster should definitely be fast enough for DSLR use.
I completely concur with that!

I recall a "oh no I don't have a big enough card" episode before going on a trip once, and I managed to pick up a 2GB mini-SD card with the SD card adapter for what was then a really great price without even shopping. For the camera I got it for (a Polaroid point-n-shoot digital), I didn't even consider how fast it was. Today, I'd be a bit more careful just so I could make sure I could move the card from one camera to another without worrying about performance.

'Course right now I'm drooling over a Canon EOS 40D, which takes Compact Flash media, so this is sort of moot for my plans...

richwig83
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
'Course right now I'm drooling over a Canon EOS 40D, which takes Compact Flash media, so this is sort of moot for my plans...
Ohh youll love the 40D, just bought one 2 days ago, shooting in RAW the quality is fantastic!!!!

And the live view is just one of the features that once you use you will wonder how you did without it!!!

What are you shooting with now?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 9, 2008, 08:05 PM

My current camera is a nice, but modest Kodak CX6490. It's point and shoot, and kinda slow, especially today. But I got out of 35mm photography a rather long time ago because I was just too busy, and now I see the EOS 40D as something that's pretty much the equivalent of my old Canon A1, and time is starting to be less of a problem... Sure, it's a pretty big move up from a $400 point and shoot camera to a $1200 (without lens) 10MP DSLR, but I feel that this would be getting back to where I was 10 years ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules