Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > $399 headless mac tower!

$399 headless mac tower!
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 01:08 PM

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 14, 2008, 01:16 PM

We should start a pool on how long it takes Apple to throw the book at Psystar.

I'm guessing a week.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 01:36 PM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 01:39 PM

Somebody's about to find out exactly what it feels like when Steve Jobs feasts on your blood.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 01:41 PM

For the cheap pretentious bastard in you.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 01:43 PM

Apple shouldn't be afraid of a little healthy competition. Of course it will be.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 01:48 PM

Apple really does need to do something like though. Dump the Mini and focus on making a cheap starter computer. Rather then a small and cheap starter computer.

No one cares about how small a Mini is, they just want a cheap computer.

Apple should make a half tower with full sized components for $500 and it will sell like crazy.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 01:51 PM

Apple seems to prefer forcing anyone who wants a tower to buy a Mac Pro.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Apple shouldn't be afraid of a little healthy competition. Of course it will be.
Software piracy is healthy competition? In what economic system does that make sense?
Chuck
___

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Software piracy is healthy competition? In what economic system does that make sense?
It's not software piracy to build hardware that is capable of running a piece of software. If that were the case the IBM PC clone industry never would have taken off, and M$ would not enjoy near hegemony as it does. It may be a violation of Apple's EULA, but that's between Apple and OS X customers, not necessarily this hardware producer.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2008, 02:01 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 02:02 PM

Is it piracy, or just violating the EULA?

[/nitpick]

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Apple really does need to do something like though. Dump the Mini and focus on making a cheap starter computer. Rather then a small and cheap starter computer.

Apple should make a half tower with full sized components for $500 and it will sell like crazy.
Why? Companies make next to no money on low end systems like that and after you factor in how much repair/service time, retail space, manufacturing time it costs you make pennies at the end. Not to mention it cheapens the brand and steal away sales of the iMac.

Printer and game system manufactures can do this be cause they sell tons of ink and games after the fact that they make the money back on.

People so cheap they only want to spend $400 on a Mac will not be jumping on .Mac and OS updates.

I hope apple never cheapens themselves like this.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 02:05 PM

Did any of you here seriously think that these would actually end up in any costumers hands after word got out? I mean a hacked 10.5.2 which you can't upgrade. Please.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2008, 02:08 PM

no never, but i expected them to make it a full business day

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Is it piracy, or just violating the EULA?

[/nitpick]
It's not piracy if you have bought a legal version of OSX. It might still be illegal, but shrink wrap licenses are notoriously difficult - it's quite possible that it would not be enforceable in court.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Speaking for everyone FTW!

The entire reason I bought a Mac Mini is because it's a Mac, and small. It's velcro'ed underneath my desk, and serves as a media box for my girlfriend and I.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 02:25 PM

Yes. I would probably pay more for it if it was a standard tower, frankly. That way I could add more ram, swap out a graphics card etc without a fish knife.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Yes. I would probably pay more for it if it was a standard tower, frankly. That way I could add more ram, swap out a graphics card etc without a fish knife.
You sure want a lot without spending a lot.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 02:37 PM

It's a lot to expect something from Apple that is similar to what every other PC manufacturer sees fit to provide to the market? It's wrong to want a tower that costs less than $2000?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 02:58 PM

It's a lot to expect something from Apple that is similar to what every other PC manufacturer sees fit to provide to the market? It's wrong to want a tower that costs less than $2000?
Yes there is something wrong with that as 99% of the **** that PC manufacturers offer is why we want Macs in the first place.

I do agree that Apple needs a mini tower but not for the sub $500 market.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 03:01 PM

Oh, I misunderstood your position then.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Not to mention it cheapens the brand and steal away sales of the iMac.

WINNER. Stuff like that kills brands. Apple has more than enough with an entry computer.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 03:18 PM

If Apple offered a mini-tower there wouldn't be any other niche open for companies to attempt to exploit in this fashion.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 03:33 PM

It's not software piracy to build hardware that is capable of running a piece of software. If that were the case the IBM PC clone industry never would have taken off, and M$ would not enjoy near hegemony as it does. It may be a violation of Apple's EULA, but that's between Apple and OS X customers, not necessarily this hardware producer.
What about taking a piece of commercial software, cracking it and bundling it with your machine? If I made an OpenPhotoshop computer that included cracked copies of Photoshop, would you be arguing that isn't piracy either?
Chuck
___

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 03:34 PM

You sure want a lot without spending a lot.
I said I'd be prepared to pay MORE for it.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 03:35 PM

What about taking a piece of commercial software, cracking it and bundling it with your machine? If I made an OpenPhotoshop computer that included cracked copies of Photoshop, would you be arguing that isn't piracy either?
Probably not, but that is not what is happening here.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 03:38 PM

That would obviously be illegal. And that's not what they were proposing to sell.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 03:40 PM

The funniest thing in all of this, is that people actually still really believe there'd be anything worth more than $399 in any kind of similar box from Apple simply because there's an Apple logo on it.

Heck, even on that thing, the idea of paying $155 for an 8600GT "upgrade" is pathetic.

Apple's still running the greatest hardware overcharge racket of all time, and its customers still think that there's some magic Apple fairy dust sprinkled on the standard (and often times older) parts made by Intel, Foxconn, Nvidia, Seagate, Kingston, etc. etc. Marketing hype at its finest.

Ironically, I don't blame Apple for not releasing a realistically priced headless Mac tower. Apple makes huge profits by continuing the myth that a Mac for $400 isn't possible, when of course it is- computer components just don't cost all that much anymore, and performance to price ratio is off the charts.

The pretense of sprinkling magic fairy dust on standard, even older hardware, pretending there's some magic to being 'Mac compatible' pretending that standard hardware is worth a HUGE markup because of a case logo, having your customers fervently insist on your marketing hype hook line and sinker- it's all insanely profitable.

Even bigger irony: It's EXACTLY the profit situation that IBM was trying to set up for themselves that no one fell for way back when. Apple's actually pulled off what IBM only dreamed of.

A real-world priced headless Mac would destroy the whole fairy-dust illusion, and upset the entire Apple-cart. Of course Apple can't allow it- it'd be a horrendous business move.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 03:56 PM

It's a shame, because the Mac mini could totally be that Mac — it could cost less and be better — if only they didn't insist on making it a (figurative) black box built from notebook parts.
Chuck
___

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2008, 04:08 PM

People so cheap they only want to spend $400 on a Mac will not be jumping on .Mac and OS updates.

QFT.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 04:10 PM

Anyone who wants an "xMac" can get one: buy your own copy of Leopard, and go to the X86 website for directions. Apple isn't attacking these guys because Apple makes money from the OS sale but don't lose any money from support costs. Win/win situation.

The only thing Apple could do to improve the Mac mini is allow for an upgradable graphics card. The problem with this is the expense of driver development and maintenance. Apple would thus lose money instead of making money.

If Apple wanted to sell a cheaper tower, they could replace the Xeon with Core technology. But that means more development costs in order to sell a cheaper machine. More money lost.

Apple doesn't sell cheap towers because they are a money-losing design.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 04:30 PM

Is that the best analogy? It's a tiny crack that's freely available.

The "cracked" copies in your analogy would still have a legit (and unique) serial number.

I'm not saying it's right, just saying that "piracy" isn't technically accurate, at the very least it's borderline.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 04:31 PM

I have a G5 tower for years now and I rather like it still. The thing is my G4 Cube is still the most ideal mac i have ever had in terms of size and specs. It was way to much at the time but if it came out again cheaper and faster I would get it in a second.

Pretty much my situation is that I am a graphic designer so I need the RAM and the CPU but not the PCI cards or endless internal HD or optical.

I want the 30" LCD but that requires a $2800 CAN tower to hook up to.

So if I want a 30" display I have to barf out $4800 that doesn't even have bluetooth or Wifi. For a 24" iMac would cost me $1899.00 CAN and the missing PCI slots, CPU's and hard drives I wouldn't miss much.

The next option is the 24" iMac and I am totally fine with all its other specs but I want that bigger monitor.

My ideal computer would be a mini tower that uses DESKTOP hard drives and RAM and has a killer or good CPU but only 1 PCI slot for a video card, 1 Super or Blu-ray drive, 1 or 2 hard drive slots but no big deal as I have most everything on firewire/usb or NAS anyway.

Pretty much a headless iMac with better CPU if possible.

I also want at least 4 gigs RAM but 8 would be great not that Photoshop can use it anyway as it is 32 bit and so are most of the Intel chips.

Most important it has to power the 30" display.

If Apple could give me that for $1200 - $1500 and lower the rip off price on the 30" LCD's and stick in a camera and LED backlite I am in.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2008, 04:57 PM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 05:04 PM

it is 32 bit and so are most of the Intel chips.
No current Mac uses a 32-bit processor as far as I know.
Chuck
___

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
The only thing Apple could do to improve the Mac mini is allow for an upgradable graphics card. The problem with this is the expense of driver development and maintenance. Apple would thus lose money instead of making money.
It would mean accommodating a standard a PCIe slot and a riser board that lets the card lay sideways. IE: something like this. A $12 piece of hardware. Of course, with the "magic Apple fairy dust" applied, make that $120. Better still would be a shuttle or Cube sized Mac. The OS is already compatible with 3rd party graphics cards and drivers, so why reinvent the wheel?

If Apple wanted to sell a cheaper tower, they could replace the Xeon with Core technology. But that means more development costs in order to sell a cheaper machine. More money lost.
Again, the OS is already compatible with the Core2Duo and Intel motherboards of the LGA 77x socket type.

Apple doesn't sell cheap towers because they are a money-losing design.
Sure is- when you're marking up standard hardware 300% and creating a marketing myth that you're using 'magic' hardware that "just works" vs. off the shelf, 100% third party parts. It's a "money-losing" design to sell the same hardware for it's actual market value.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 10:02 PM

What a headless piece of sh!t.

Seriously, you can get a PC cheaper than that, and trick it into running OS X.

No need to buy crap that pretends to be Mac compatible.

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 11:09 PM

Maybe it'll wake Apple up to the need for an expandable & affordable mid-tower form factor again. I miss the 8600, what a solid machine.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 12:40 AM

I miss being able to get a low end tower for $1,600 bucks. Remember those days?

There is just way to large of a gap between the iMacs and the Towers.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 01:12 AM

Way too large a gap between the mini and the pro. I don't want an integrated monitor. I just don't. Anything which pressures Apple to produce an affordable expandable tower is good.

Atomic Rooster
Apr 15, 2008, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
What a headless piece of sh!t.

Seriously, you can get a PC cheaper than that, and trick it into running OS X.

No need to buy crap that pretends to be Mac compatible.

-t
First you need to download a hacked Leopard install and fiddle with all kinds of ****. Therefore this is piracy.

This thing can install Leopard from a legit disk

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2008, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
First you need to download a hacked Leopard install and fiddle with all kinds of ****. Therefore this is piracy.

This thing can install Leopard from a legit disk
No, it can't. It still requires hacks. And the next Leopard update might break it. It's NOT a hardware solution, this POS still needs a manual pre-install of the EFI V8 emulator.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2008, 04:03 AM

Way too large a gap between the mini and the pro. I don't want an integrated monitor. I just don't. Anything which pressures Apple to produce an affordable expandable tower is good.
QFT.

If this box gets Apple to close the huge gap between the Mm and the MP it's a good thing.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 15, 2008, 04:23 AM

My ideal computer would be a mini tower that uses DESKTOP hard drives and RAM and has a killer or good CPU but only 1 PCI slot for a video card, 1 Super or Blu-ray drive, 1 or 2 hard drive slots but no big deal as I have most everything on firewire/usb or NAS anyway.

Pretty much a headless iMac with better CPU if possible.

I also want at least 4 gigs RAM but 8 would be great not that Photoshop can use it anyway as it is 32 bit and so are most of the Intel chips.

Most important it has to power the 30" display.

If Apple could give me that for $1200 - $1500 and lower the rip off price on the 30" LCD's and stick in a camera and LED backlite I am in.
If this were real, I'd own it.

I don't want a camera in my monitor though.
ice

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2008, 04:32 AM

LOL. I sure am excited about this upgradable video card in my Mac Pro.

Good thing I went with an iMac for home. Geez.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Atomic Rooster
Apr 15, 2008, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
No, it can't. It still requires hacks. And the next Leopard update might break it. It's NOT a hardware solution, this POS still needs a manual pre-install of the EFI V8 emulator.

-t
True but it doesn't need a haxored Leopard is what said.

Like this...

Apple2PC (Hackintosh)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2008, 05:50 AM

Charlie Uniform Bravo Echo

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2008, 07:03 AM

"Psystar site goes down under load, Apple lawyers seen shopping for BMWs."

Gotta love Endgadget headlines.

-t

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
I don't want a camera in my monitor though.
Paranoid?

Forum Links
Forum Rules