Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > So how many of the right wing anti science crowd here are subscribers to this?

So how many of the right wing anti science crowd here are subscribers to this?
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 03:47 PM

You've Been Left Behind

I **** you not. When the rapture occurs, they will automatically send your emails to heathen friends and family.

"You've Been Left Behind
You've Been Left Behind gives you one last opportunity to reach your lost family and friends For Christ. Imagine being in the presence of the Lord and hearing all of heaven rejoice over the salvation of your loved ones. It is our prayer that this site makes it happen."

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 03:52 PM

Oh man, now I've seen it all!

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 04:08 PM

If there was ever a perfect time for someone to release an email trojan, it's now. Make it so it looks exactly like one sent from there, spoof the sender ID, and make it self propagate. A few million people would get an email from You've Been Left Behind. Har har har!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 04:16 PM

I can't wait for the rapture. Once all the Christians are gone the rest of us can have a big ol' party.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 04:18 PM

If that happened, the dominant world religion would be Islam.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2008, 04:20 PM

ok so more of a hash smoking, qat chewing party then a full bar kinda party.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
The problem being ...

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 04:47 PM

But what if Islam is the "right" religion and non-Muslims are all left behind?

Or maybe God will take all the Jews, Christians, and Muslims away since they all believe in him. That would be nice.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
But what if Islam is the "right" religion and non-Muslims are all left behind?

Or maybe God will take all the Jews, Christians, and Muslims away since they all believe in him. That would be nice.
If so, can we ask god to start with the Christians? It would just be nice to get those cable stations back from the televangelists as quickly as possible. Then we'd have more room for pr0n on the dial.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 09:16 PM

Of course, we all know that the Rapture is an non-biblical 19th century innovation, right? Kinda like JWs.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 09:26 PM

That gets my vote for best interpretation of the Rapture.

Just leave us non-believers here with each other, the unitarians, and the stray Buddhist or three.
Ooh, and don't forget our pagan friends. They can be left behind as well as they're pretty fun to party with.

So, just how do we get this Rapture thing started?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 10:15 PM

I like chicks in bikinis?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 10:43 PM

egadz. Someone found something crazy.

You never know who might thank God for taking Christians and not morons.
ebuddy

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 10:50 PM

i can't wait till god takes all the christians away... more gas for me... more space to play...

when is that again?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 10:53 PM

I like chicks in bikinis?
Yes, you do.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
i can't wait till god takes all the christians away... more gas for me... more space to play...

when is that again?
Matthew 24:36; But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Maybe by the time gas hits $6.66/gallon.
ebuddy

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by art_director View Post
The problem being ...

Atomic Rooster
Jun 5, 2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Matthew 24:36; But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
So Jesus has been left out of the loop even after he died for all our sins.

I'd be pissed severely.

Anyways thanks to Jesus and his sin-erasure-cross-thingy that my soul is pure and I'm all packed and waiting for thee flying saucer.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 08:42 AM

I think God is an alien.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 08:45 AM

I think God is an alien.
Legal or illegal?

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
I suspect that there really aren't that many of them. I mean, real ones anyway.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2008, 01:31 PM

At $40 a year? I'll pass.

Leave it to a Christian to find another way to fleece the flock for money.
The Religious Right is neither.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
I've never met a real one.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 02:16 PM

I think God is an alien.
You need to rent Prince of Darkness, it's an awesome movie. One of my favorite horror flicks. John Carpenter can be so hit & miss.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 5, 2008, 02:29 PM

In case of Rapture, can I have your car?

Seriously, that's both pathetic and (if I understand those deadly sins right) sinfully prideful. "Nya nya, I went to Heaven and you're left here to put up with the next several years of crap." Juvenile and pathetic.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 02:40 PM

That's a good point. I can only imagine the level of whining we'd have to endure if the rapture came and only took 10% of self-described Christians.

Depends on who you believe, though. Some people believe that nearly everyone will be considered good enough to be swept away, while others are pretty convinced that they and their direct followers are the only ones pious enough to make the cut.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 02:45 PM

I'm sorry but there's a problem with the logic. If there really is a rapture, well then that's all the evidence I'll need to totally commit myself to Jesus Christ. And they're suggesting this will be possible. So why not just wait it out?

If you can always be saved eventually why not sin for a while, because it's not only fun, but once hookers and blow are off the table that's it.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
I'm sorry but there's a problem with the logic. If there really is a rapture, well then that's all the evidence I'll need to totally commit myself to Jesus Christ. And they're suggesting this will be possible. So why not just wait it out?

If you can always be saved eventually why not sin for a while, because it's not only fun, but once hookers and blow are off the table that's it.
Because you can die at any moment.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 03:08 PM

I understand the concept, I just don't get how I'm supposed to be convinced before witnessing any actual compelling evidence. But then you'll say it's all around me and I choose not to see it I suppose. Nevermind....

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Because you can die at any moment.
And? Aren't you given one last chance at the pearly gates? (I was baptized, by the way.)

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 04:21 PM

Were you baptized by a Catholic priest ... wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean ...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
You've Been Left Behind

I **** you not. When the rapture occurs, they will automatically send your emails to heathen friends and family.
Bah, don't need it.

It wouldn't be haven if it didn't have teh intarwebs.

I will be sending those emails straight from above

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by art_director View Post
Were you baptized by a Catholic priest ... wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean ...
*shocked* Say no more!

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 05:15 PM

I understand the concept, I just don't get how I'm supposed to be convinced before witnessing any actual compelling evidence.
Because proof and evidence destroy our free will.

But then you'll say it's all around me and I choose not to see it I suppose. Nevermind....
There is scientific proof of God. It really isn't something any inteligent an moral person can deny:
First, the non-existence of God cannot be proven. One cannot prove a universal negative. Alternatively, the existence of God is provable.

The concept, design, and intricate details of our world necessitate an intelligent designer.

Both direct and indirect evidence for God’s existence are well known and well documented. Nothing in history is better known or better documented than the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We even use the year of His birth as the basis for our calendar. He perfectly matched the over 100 unique Messianic prophecies in the Old Testament regarding His birth, life, death, and resurrection. The laws of probability cannot give us a reasonable explanation for either the Messianic predictions or the resurrection, let alone both by the same person.

Jesus’ miracles were witnessed by many and were documented redundantly for additional corroboration. He was seen by at least 500 people after His resurrection. He was seen ascending into heaven. His transfiguration was seen by Peter, James, and John. His wisdom in dealing with many circumstances was astounding. He never promoted Himself or His miracles. C. S. Lewis stated that He couldn’t have just been a good teacher. He was either a liar, lunatic, or Lord. He didn’t even come close to meeting the profile of a liar or lunatic, so He had to be God.

Jesus Christ also supported the truth of the Old Testament and quoted it many times. Consequently, with Jesus Christ, we have an eyewitness to the truth of the Old Testament. This gives credibility to the creation account and God’s interaction with man. The entire Old Testament account is about how God is trying to have a relationship with man while man is separating himself from God by sin. It tells how God is long-suffering and merciful and ultimately how God sent His Son to die for our sins so God could ultimately have a relationship with us.

God’s interaction with man in the Old Testament was often and powerful. Some of the main interactions included Adam, Cain, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Joshua, the Israelites, the prophets, and the kings. In addition to Jesus’ testimony to the truth of the Old Testament, ancient manuscripts, archaeology, and internal consistency also testify to its truth. Consequently, much direct evidence including eyewitness accounts and indirect evidence corroborate the existence of God and the truth of the Bible.
If that's still not enough for you then watch these:
Proof 1
Proof 2
Proof 3
Proof 4

If these are not enough then you are being deliberately blind to the facts.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 05:17 PM

I understand the concept, I just don't get how I'm supposed to be convinced before witnessing any actual compelling evidence. But then you'll say it's all around me and I choose not to see it I suppose.
The New Testament says that the Apostles didn't believe until the resurrected Jesus appear before them. Even after watching all those healings and miracles, they didn't believe. Strange that Christianity holds people today to a higher standard than even Jesus' hand-picked friends could live up to.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 05:39 PM

There is scientific proof of God.
No, there isn't.

First, the non-existence of God cannot be proven.
That's precisely why it's not considered scientific.

The concept, design, and intricate details of our world necessitate an intelligent designer.
No, they don't.

He didn’t even come close to meeting the profile of a liar or lunatic, so He had to be God.
Of course! Damn, that logic is infallible. So since fish live in the water, all things that live in water fit the profile of fish. Therefor, everything that lives in the ocean are fish. Quod erat demonstrandum!

Jesus’ miracles were witnessed by many and were documented redundantly for additional corroboration.
So were David Copperfield's.

Jesus Christ also supported the truth of the Old Testament and quoted it many times.
The Old Testament was written to help keep the Jewish people alive. There may be a God that looks after them, but it's not the Jewish Bible. Many Jews will tell you to not take the Bible literally. It was a set of guidelines to get them through the tough times. If the Egyptians didn't kill them, they would tear themselves apart. They needed rules or they wouldn't survive. How do you get a ton of people across a desert? You tell them there's a paradise on the other side. No paradise? Oh, well, it was God's will. Make the best of it and thank the Lord that you're still alive.

If these are not enough then you are being deliberately blind to the facts.
Water is wet. That's a fact. Obviously, because that's a fact, God is real. Stop ignoring the facts!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 05:49 PM

Because proof and evidence destroy our free will.
Utter nonsense. People deny plain evidence every day. You fail Logic 101.
Buddha says no.
Nothing in history is better known or better documented than the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
It's so well documented, we have 4 incompatible versions in the NT alone!
We even use the year of His birth as the basis for our calendar.
The official history of Jesus is about as accurate, too! So, was Jesus born while Herod the Great was King (4 BCE) or during the reign of Augustus (6 CE)? Get back to me when you resolve that 10 year discrepancy.
He was seen by at least 500 people after His resurrection.
So says Paul, who wasn't there. Where's the testimony of even one of those 500 people?
He was seen ascending into heaven.
And which day was that? 40 days after his resurrection, or right after appearing to Thomas with the other disciples?
His transfiguration was seen by Peter, James, and John.
Neither Peter nor James mention it in their letters. Besides, the transfiguration was a symbolic story Mark invented to explain Jesus' equal standing with Moses and Elijah. It is otherwise meaningless.
His wisdom in dealing with many circumstances was astounding. He never promoted Himself or His miracles.
I guess standing in the Temple and claiming "I and my Father are one!" isn't self-promotion?
C. S. Lewis stated that He couldn’t have just been a good teacher. He was either a liar, lunatic, or Lord. He didn’t even come close to meeting the profile of a liar or lunatic, so He had to be God.
Lewis should stick to writing children's books. The historical Jesus was a great teacher, but the Gospels are exaggerations of his feats.
Jesus Christ also supported the truth of the Old Testament and quoted it many times.
Jesus had a complex relationship with the Torah. He stood against established enforcements like stoning adulterers. He stood against its overly liberal divorce laws, while favoring a far more liberal interpretation of Sabbath observance. Unlike literalist Christians, Jesus was a very independent thinker "who taught with authority" (i.e. ignored established interpretations). I wish Christians would aspire to the example of Jesus in this regard.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 05:53 PM

If that's still not enough for you then watch these:
Proof 1
Uh, they've already admitted that this "proof" was a joke.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 06:05 PM

There is scientific proof of God. It really isn't something any inteligent an moral person can deny:...
Nothing in history is better known or better documented than the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Absolute donkey's balls. You insult me with this crap. Frankly, you insult even my dog.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 06:08 PM

Absolute donkey's balls. You insult me with this crap. Frankly, you insult even my dog.
I am not responsible for your denial in the face of scientific proof.

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 06:19 PM

scientific proof.
Let's see it.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 06:20 PM

I like how Jezoids say that proof of God would destroy your free will, and then they try to argue that there's proof of God.

There isn't. You choose to believe or you don't. There are other religions, too, and I'm sure there's no shortage of Muslims and Jews and Hindus who are just as certain that their religion is the correct one and that they have proof. There is no way that anyone can prove that one religion is correct and others aren't. No way at all. You either believe one thing, or you believe another.

Quit saying there's proof. There isn't.

P.S. And I will believe what can be proven until something explains it better. Every component of natural science has been supported by research and evidence, and further knowledge has built upon what we already know. Knowledge is the foundation for more knowledge. Religion may claim to present an explanation for what happens in the world, but it is fundamentally flawed since it is based on superstition.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 06:44 PM

I like how Jezoids say that proof of God would destroy your free will, and then they try to argue that there's proof of God.
I fail to see your point. I suspect your lack of understanding is directly proportional to your lack of effort.

There isn't. You choose to believe or you don't.
You are either a believer or a denier. Your lack of belief is in spite of the evidence of the almighty.

There are other religions, too, and I'm sure there's no shortage of Muslims and Jews and Hindus who are just as certain that their religion is the correct one and that they have proof.
Those people will join you in eternal suffering.

There is no way that anyone can prove that one religion is correct and others aren't.
Oh, you'll all know when the day finally comes.

Quit saying there's proof. There isn't.
Quit saying there isn't unless you can provide me with contrary evidence. Oh wait, you can't because the existence of the almighty is irrefutable.

P.S. And I will believe what can be proven until something explains it better. Every component of natural science has been supported by research and evidence, and further knowledge has built upon what we already know. Knowledge is the foundation for more knowledge.
If you wanna believe that we come from monkeys then you go ahead. The only true knowledge cannot be attained with "research" and "evidence". It only comes from knowing the almighty and that only through the Christ.

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 07:06 PM

the existence of the almighty is irrefutable.
If you have proof, you have no faith. Faith is a belief without proof.

So... which is it?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 07:13 PM

So... which is it?
A lack of proof isn't a requisite for faith.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 5, 2008, 07:32 PM

So... which is it?
A lack of proof isn't a requisite for faith.
Isn't the definition of faith "a belief without the need for proof"? I believe in some things that there is no doubt about whatsoever, but my faith in them does not require the proof I have. Example: my wife's love for me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 07:39 PM

I fail to see your point. I suspect your lack of understanding is directly proportional to your lack of effort.
Let me try another approach. I will analyze what you're doing with each point.

You are either a believer or a denier. Your lack of belief is in spite of the evidence of the almighty.
Here, you are jumping directly to claiming that there is evidence of God, without actually presenting any. I am indeed a denier of God, but that's because there's no evidence that one exists.

Those people will join you in eternal suffering.
Now you're using the very simple technique of trying to scare me into joining you. While it was popular and effective a thousand years ago, it's not going to work on many people today. Furthermore, I doubt your supposedly "loving" God would condemn scores of people to eternal suffering (i.e. infinite punishment) for choosing to believe one person instead of another. Either what you say is true, or he is a loving God.

Oh, you'll all know when the day finally comes.
Same as before. Scare tactics are cheap and work only on the dim-witted.

Quit saying there isn't unless you can provide me with contrary evidence. Oh wait, you can't because the existence of the almighty is irrefutable.
And now you're back to claiming that there is irrefutable evidence without actually providing any of it. You've said yourself that it's impossible to prove a negative, and I agree. It is indeed impossible to prove, beyond any doubt, that God exists. Especially since he's an all-powerful being who could easily hide himself from any type of human detection, no matter how advanced our technology becomes. It's up to you to prove to me why he does exist. Until then, I'm not sure why I should buy into a shaky hypothesis that presupposes a conclusion without even providing any evidence to support itself.

If you wanna believe that we come from monkeys then you go ahead. The only true knowledge cannot be attained with "research" and "evidence". It only comes from knowing the almighty and that only through the Christ.
I do believe we come from monkeys, because there's actually some evidence of it. I'm also not sure why you decided to put "research" and "evidence" in quotation marks - perhaps it's because you don't believe those things are valid ways of gaining knowledge? If that's the case, why do you claim to have irrefutable evidence of God?

Look, we both know that we're not going to convert each other by arguing on a web forum, so I'm not going to try to convince you that science is a valid way of learning things about our world, and you don't have to try to convince me that Jesus' body was reanimated after he died and that this was all part of a grand plan by an omnipotent invisible being who lives in the sky and judges individual humans on our planet by how strongly they believe in him despite never really giving us any details on how, why, or even if he exists. The point is that you're applying a double standard - you decry scientific evidence, yet you claim to have scientific evidence proving the correctness of the Christian religion. If you had said that faith requires you to ignore evidence, I'd just leave you alone. I'd disagree but there'd be no sense in arguing.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 07:43 PM

One more time. There is no evidence for the existence of God. The claim seems to be made again and again that there is, without any being presented. We can scotch once and for all the idea that we can resolve the issue of the existence of God through science or logic. We cannot. They only thing that those tools tell us is that it is not likely that God exists.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 07:57 PM

Here, you are jumping directly to claiming that there is evidence of God, without actually presenting any. I am indeed a denier of God, but that's because there's no evidence that one exists.
Oh, I did. You didn't bother to go through all of it. This I know because had you done so you would not be arguing any longer.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 07:58 PM

One more time. There is no evidence for the existence of God. The claim seems to be made again and again that there is, without any being presented. We can scotch once and for all the idea that we can resolve the issue of the existence of God through science or logic. We cannot. They only thing that those tools tell us is that it is not likely that God exists.
You didn't bother with checking out what I posted either. For shame.

Forum Links
Forum Rules