Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > "Overcommited"

"Overcommited"
EnVoy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2006, 12:09 PM

What does it mean when boinc says the computer is overcommited?

Thu Feb 23 07:54:41 2006|SETI@home|Resuming computation for result 29no04ab.7113.12001.915908.1.201_3 using setiathome version 418
Thu Feb 23 07:54:41 2006||Suspending work fetch because computer is overcommitted.
Thu Feb 23 07:54:41 2006||Using earliest-deadline-first scheduling because computer is overcommitted.

It also happens on some of the other projects I'm attached to. Thanks...

mikkyo
Senior User
Feb 24, 2006, 01:43 AM

Are you using a superbench client?
It is best for attaching to 1 project on a dedicated machine.
Overcommitted means you have more work due in less time than your computer is capable of completing.
Or another way to look at it is that you have workunits for project that will expire before you computer can complete them.
How many projects are you attached to?

EnVoy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2006, 10:07 AM

Not sure what a superbench client is, I'm using BOINC 5.2.13. I'm attached to 5 projects.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by EnVoy
Not sure what a superbench client is, I'm using BOINC 5.2.13. I'm attached to 5 projects.
How big of a cache do you run for the projects? (days of work in queue). Deadlines vary by project from 1 week or longer. If you are running 5 projects on the same machine, it is important that you not set your days of work requested very high. No more then 1 day.

Days of work requested comes under general preferences, so it will be whatever you set for the last project. If you are running 5 projects, then it is easy to end up with too much work to meet the deadilines. Also, how fast is your machine? A slower machine may not be able to crunch 5 projects and still meet deadlines. Do you run 24/7 or just part of the day?

The solution choices then would be to either reduce the size of the work cache or to reduce the number of projects. Also, what projects are your running? If they are not all BOINC projects, then you may have two different software programs competing for CPU time which will slow things down a lot.

EnVoy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2006, 11:09 AM

How big of a cache do you run for the projects? (days of work in queue). Deadlines vary by project from 1 week or longer. If you are running 5 projects on the same machine, it is important that you not set your days of work requested very high. No more then 1 day.

Days of work requested comes under general preferences, so it will be whatever you set for the last project. If you are running 5 projects, then it is easy to end up with too much work to meet the deadilines. Also, how fast is your machine? A slower machine may not be able to crunch 5 projects and still meet deadlines. Do you run 24/7 or just part of the day?

The solution choices then would be to either reduce the size of the work cache or to reduce the number of projects. Also, what projects are your running? If they are not all BOINC projects, then you may have two different software programs competing for CPU time which will slow things down a lot.

I'm running 5 boinc projects, and F@H. Maybe too much?
I Don't see a "days of work requested" or "cache" in the General Prefs, maybe I'm missing it? I'm on a Dual 1ghz MDD G4.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by EnVoy
I'm running 5 boinc projects, and F@H. Maybe too much?
I Don't see a "days of work requested" or "cache" in the General Prefs, maybe I'm missing it? I'm on a Dual 1ghz MDD G4.
Yep, a bit too much. Folding@home will steal half the power away from the BOINC projects. BOINC will switch among its projects and can manage the work flow, but with F@H you have added a variable that BOINC can't manage. It's probably downloading twice the work it thinks it can handle.

My mistake, under general preferences you want to look at the "Connect to network every X days."

Forum Links
Forum Rules