Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > partitioning takes for ever

partitioning takes for ever
phanteon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2010, 08:28 PM

Hi.

i want to give 70 gigs to windows, so i go to boot camp assisant, then set 70gb for win, all the remaining space for OSx (250gb HDD) click next and the partition begins, but when the progress bar is almost the half, it stop working and everything crashes (browsers, finder and boot camp itself).
i have to hold the power button to turn off my macbook.

what shoul i do?????

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 23, 2010, 09:23 PM

Boot from your OS X disc. Select Disk Utility from the Tools menu. Choose your hard drive (not a partition on it) and select "Repair." Let it work-be patient. That should fix the problem.

This is probably related to the failed Boot Camp partitioning you posted about earlier. Boot Camp usually succeeds marvelously, but there is such a difference between the MBR partition for Windows and the OS X journaled partition, when something goes wrong, it can go quite wrong. Fixing the problem REQUIRES you to boot from the install disc because Disk Utility can't fix the drive it's running from.

Please do this and post your success!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

phanteon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2010, 09:50 PM

yeah but i repaired the previous issue repairing from the installation disk, i tried again and everything is ok, the drive doesn't need to be repaired

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 24, 2010, 06:53 AM

Did you "repair," or did you select a partition to delete? The "repair" option does a lot of things, but if you only went in and deleted the bad partition, or just recovered the space you had dedicated to the failed partition, there are other steps that need taking-which "repair" will do.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules