Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Single User keystroke?

Single User keystroke?
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 08:57 PM

So, my computer is (*#&(#$& freaking again. This happens like every 2 month it seems, and this time freaking Jaguar caused it, more specifically installing the 10.2.1 update. Well I am pretty sure it did, because it was starting up fine until I clicked the restart button after it finished it's work.

Anyways, it seems they changed the single-user and verbose keystrokes? What's up with that? what are they?

before weren't they command-v and command-s?

if they still are, then it means things are even more messed up than I thought...

I just wanna run fsck!! ahh!! annoying

I never though I would get pissed off at an Apple product, but having to reinstall my OS every couple of months, and having major disk problems every 2 months is starting to wear on my patience. By major I mean where the drive is so messed up disk utility can't fix it, and norton has a heck of a time with it... last one took a week of running disk utilities on it to get it working again. Btw, I have reinitialized all my drives, and copied over all my old files, so it's not it's a problem that can be happening due to previous problems manifesting themselves again.

Sorry, just had to rant... I don't do it often, and I especially don't like to do it over Apple...

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2002, 11:48 PM

haven't done verbose recently, but I did do single user mode--just as a cleanup precaution, so I could see what was going on. It's still command-S. This was with 10.2.1.

Sorry dude.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

kvm_mkdb
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2002, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
anyways, it seems they changed the single-user and verbose keystrokes? What's up with that? what are they?

before weren't they command-v and command-s?
On some machines the keyboard needs to be plugged in the first usb port (no hub!) for cmd-s to work.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2002, 11:50 AM

If you can't get cmd-s to work on boot, here's another way to get there:

1. At the login window, login as >console

This takes you to a terminal interface...

2. Login as an adminstrator

3. Once logged in, type 'sudo shutdown now'

4. Enter your admin password.

The computer will do an orderly shutdown and drop you off in single-user mode. From there you can run fsck as you normally would.

Chris

manray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2002, 08:51 PM

Nice tip, I've had no trouble getting into single-user mode but having this lodged somewhere in my brain could come in handy some day!

Forum Links
Forum Rules