Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod Model # Question 2nd try

iPod Model # Question 2nd try
glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2003, 05:35 PM

I was wondering if someone could help me with a question?

I'm looking to purchase an iPod 5g for my son. There seem to be quite a few on ebay, new in the box, "factory sealed." I know Apple recently had a bunch of refurbished 5g units for $199.

I'm wondering if this unit is one, and is being sold as new?

Do the refurbished units state this anywhere, or do they appear as a new unit would?

The model number is M8513LL/A. Is this a very old iPod? If so, does it matter? I have a serial # if it helps.

TIA,
Mark.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 07:12 PM

The M8513LL/A is the original 5GB ipod part number.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2003, 12:53 AM

I'm the owner of a refurbished 5GB from the Apple site. The 5GB had no visible markings on the box, inside, or on the iPod to indicate that it was refurbished. Works like a charm with no physical damage, scratches, or other problems. All items inside the box were sealed and new. The package was "factory sealed" with the plastic shrink wrap as well. The number on my refurbished unit also ends with an A. Hope this helps!

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2003, 01:13 AM

Also, regarding the warranty, I believe if the iPods being sold are "new" and "factory sealed," they should still have the 1-year warranty. This warranty would cover any battery or malfunction problems in case they happen.

Ask the sellers before you bid whether or not the iPods include a warranty, whether they have been registered before, or if they've ever been used even once. New iPods and new refurbs will look identical (I believe). All new and new refurbed iPods are covered with a special, clear plastic protective covering that renders them invincible to outside damage - this must be intact with any new or new refurbed items. The headphones are also tightly sealed as are the CDs.

Sorry about the addendum!

Forum Links
Forum Rules