Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Casshern (Live action anime)

Casshern (Live action anime)
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 09:56 AM

Just saw this over at slashdot, but Apple Japan has posted a new trailer for an upcoming live action anime. This movie looks freaking incredible. It's reminiscent of Wolf's Rain. It also reminds me somewhat of the movie, Escaflowne. Some Nausica style airships.. it's just amazing. I don't think it's really all that comparable to other things.. it seems to be in it's own little amazing world.

In any case, this movie is going to be amazing! OMG. I can't wait until it's released, and someone subtitles it (dubbing this would be an injustice to humanity).

Wow, the atmosphere, and the mood... wow, it's just.. I can't describe it. It's, for lack of better words, wow.

Check it out.

http://www.apple.co.jp/quicktime/tra...ern_large.html

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2004, 10:00 AM

i don't know if this was posted in this forum before or not, but i've seen that before.

oh man, it looks incredible. i hope the japanese dvd has english subtitles.
too cool!

11011001  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
i don't know if this was posted in this forum before or not, but i've seen that before.

oh man, it looks incredible. i hope the japanese dvd has english subtitles.
too cool!
I'll certainly buy it as soon as the DVD comes out. I can't wait!! Gah!!

Veronica
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2004, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
Posted last week in fact. MacNN Forums beats slashdot

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 10:26 AM

Doesn't an anime have to be... uh... animated?

Don't get me wrong, this movie looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing it (if it gets subtitled), but I wouldn't call it an anime.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2004, 10:36 AM

From the intarweb:
01/23/03 (Tokyo, Japan) - Famous Jpop singer Hikaru Utada's (20) husband, Kazuaki Kiriya (34), recently made headlines of his own with the announcement concerning his newest project. Kiriya will be making his supervisor debut for the movie Shinzou Ningen Casshan (New Android Casshan). This movie is based on the original animated TV series Casshan.

Apparently, Kiriya enjoyed the original Casshan animation series when he was younger. Broadcasted during the early 1970's, the story revolves around Dr. Azuma who created an android to stop pollution. However, the android was struck by lightening. This changed the programming of the android and gave him the ability to think for himself. The android, which became known as "Burai King Boss" rebelled against the Doctor, causing chaos. In order to stop his creation gone haywire, Dr. Azuma uses his son, Tetsuya, by transforming him into a cyborg named "Casshan" and teaming him up with his sidekick, Robot Dog Friender.
he makes fairly good music videos so it will be interesting to see if he can handle a proper movie.

-r.

11011001  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Turias:
Doesn't an anime have to be... uh... animated?

Don't get me wrong, this movie looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing it (if it gets subtitled), but I wouldn't call it an anime.
Well, how else can you describe it? It's based on anime (as someone pointed out), and it's very much an anime like style.

So, live action anime seems appropriate.

rjenkinson.. do you have any links to some of his music videos?

Cellery
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 12:25 PM

It looks really great, and the surprising thing is that they made Casshern on a budget of $6 million. Considering even crappy Hollywood movies with no-name actors and no SFX end up costing a ton more to make, I think it'll be interesting to see the final product.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2004, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
do you have any links to some of his music videos?
i'm having trouble finding some pictures of utada hikaru's videos, but i did find this from the video for "colors": http://www.manekineko.art.pl/temp/utada_hikaru_-_12.jpg. the videos you could try searching for are "final distance," "sakura drops," "traveling" and "letters."

-r.

Knof8
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2004, 11:58 PM

Yes, this is based on an anime that just recently got re-released. So if the preview appeals to anyone they might want to also check out the original. The official website for the movie is www.casshern.com Parts of it are in English including an Intro and a description of the story.

Forum Links
Forum Rules