Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > OMG. Sin City (Movie)

OMG. Sin City (Movie) (Page 2)
budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 9, 2005, 04:34 PM

Who cares if it was or wasn't done before?
It looks like it was well made and true to the art that inspired it. This cannot be said when movies have been translated from the original artists intentions. This is what I find so unique about this movie. Its at the very least a rare thing, and should be honored for this.

The Crow - I thought it was very cool at the time. It's still not bad.

Sky Captain - Enjoyable, but not quite the same extreme as this movie, but very well done!

Anyone have other examples that aproach this work?

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2005, 04:35 PM

still no examples. they may have done similar things but this is not just black and white with high contrast and often showing the negatives. the it shows certain colors at certain moments. don't make me E-Slap you.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 9, 2005, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
still no examples. they may have done similar things but this is not just black and white with high contrast and often showing the negatives. the it shows certain colors at certain moments. don't make me E-Slap you.
Black and white with spatterings of color have been done before too. Look, don't get all silly fanboy Jesus freak about this. I said technically there was little new. Storywise, it's people beating each other up. That's not saying it's all crap. It's an enjoyable albeit shallow show. It doesn't really look like Miller's novel though. If it did then that would have been a technical revolution, but then it would be an animation.

Anyone for a DS Vs. PSP battle?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2005, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
Just remembered one thing that I can say. The Japanese manga XIII had the same look, graphic and high contrast black and white. Originally the game adaptation had the same look but the developers went for full color cartoon glory because it was too adult.
I'm talking about movies here...the technology involved in reproducing the effect. Manga is a comic, right? Like the original Sin City comics? Excuse me -- graphic novels. Frank Miller's been drawing and writing in this style for decades.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2005, 04:42 PM

Black and white with spatterings of color have been done before too. Look, don't get all silly fanboy Jesus freak about this. I said technically there was little new. Storywise, it's people beating each other up. That's not saying it's all crap. It's an enjoyable albeit shallow show.

Anyone for a DS Vs. PSP battle?
That's the thing, technologically, there IS much new. There's more to this than black and white with spashes of color. While Pleasantville was tough enough to get right, this is on a whole different level. Did you notice how the blacks and whites were manipulated in Sin City?

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 9, 2005, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
I'm talking about movies here...the technology involved in reproducing the effect. Manga is a comic, right? Like the original Sin City comics? Excuse me -- graphic novels. Frank Miller's been drawing and writing in this style for decades.
See above post. I said nothing about Miller being unoriginal. Don't put words in people's mouths. You're really acting like some kind of Jihad for Sin City now. ****, as if the PSPS Vs. DS battle wasn't bad enough...

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2005, 04:46 PM

See above post. I said nothing about Miller being unoriginal. Don't put words in people's mouths. You're really acting like some kind of Jihad for Sin City now. ****, as if the PSPS Vs. DS battle wasn't bad enough...
This isn't a "versus" battle. You assume that what was done in SC has been done before, technologically, but you're wrong. A lot of new techniques had to be developed to emulate Miller's original drawings.

Anyways, you brought up a comic in saying that this has been done before...and you're putting words in my mouth (I never said you said Miller was unoriginal).

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 9, 2005, 04:48 PM

Did you notice how the blacks and whites were manipulated in Sin City?
Yes, and it's excellent. Not new but still great. My whole point is that it's still people beating the **** out of each other and the cast is basically a Vanity Fair Oscar Party guest list, except that they're all grumbling. Two hours of grumbling can get quite annoying. Clive Owen was the only one who tried to act beyond the confines of the current trend in Hollywood movies where people were black and grumble and whisper for way more time than I can even bother listening to. Even then Owen's accent slipped back into English at times.

It's a technical movie and nothing more, but then I don't think they were gunning for screenplay and acting awards so that's forgiveable. A good piece of action but so what? I'll go watch The English Patient or Dr. Strangelove.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 9, 2005, 04:51 PM

This isn't a "versus" battle. You assume that what was done in SC has been done before, technologically, but you're wrong. A lot of new techniques had to be developed to emulate Miller's original drawings.
But the drawings haven't been emulated. They've been used as a storyboard and pseudo-emulated. It's still live action and CG on blue/greenscreen.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2005, 04:56 PM

Yes, and it's excellent. Not new but still great.
Again:

Though B&W isn't new (it's been around since the beginning of film )

And coloring certain things isn't new (Pleasantville, etc.)

The way that B&W&C was done WAS new...it's the first time a illustrative style deviant of real life and lighting has been successfully shown in a movie.

My whole point is that it's still people beating the **** out of each other and the cast is basically a Vanity Fair Oscar Party guest list, except that they're all grumbling. Two hours of grumbling can get quite annoying. Clive Owen was the only one who tried to act beyond the confines of the current trend in Hollywood movies where people were black and grumble and whisper for way more time than I can even bother listening to. Even then Owen's accent slipped back into English at times.

It's a technical movie and nothing more, but then I don't think they were gunning for screenplay and acting awards so that's forgiveable. A good piece of action but so what? I'll go watch The English Patient or Dr. Strangelove.
Nobody's saying that it has the best plot or acting in the word. And yes, it's violent to an extreme. Both were intentional, though, and surely not everyone's cup-of-tea.

The visuals, however, are stunning -- despite the grotesqueness and grittiness at times, it was like watching a 2-hour painting evolve before your eyes.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 9, 2005, 05:02 PM

Have either of you seen the movie? ...

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
I thought it was great. This is how a comic should be put on the screen.

Mickey Rourke has undone the years of harm he's done to movie making with this role. Clive Owen is incredible.

This ones a keeper.
Absolutely.

So close to the original art, yet so realistic, we need to remember that the best way to see this is as a graphic novel.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by budster101:
Have either of you seen the movie? ...
I have; why the ridiculous question?

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2005, 05:16 PM

Details on the CGI involved.

Note that the company that did the many of the special effects did also those of Spy Kids 1 and 2.

But Hybride haven't made their reputation on bargain-basement prices. Rather, they are a CGI lab with an imagination and, when they are called upon to provide it, an artistic vision that embellishes their technical expertise. If it's true that a rendering of Frank Miller's Basin City universe was impossible until the present moment in CGI technology, then Rodriguez - and the fanboys - have Hybride to thank. Sin City is a composite of three books in Miller's series, in which each "book," or story sequence, was created by a different CGI house. Rodriguez (after asking Hybride to deliver the whole movie, an impossible task) gave them the first story - a bittersweet and ruminative revenge/romance starring Mickey Rourke, Jaime King, Elijah Wood and Carla Gugino - as well as the credits and several other crucial scenes. With 735 shots and over 200 colour landscapes to create, Hybride essentially filled in Basin City as it was sketched out by Miller, bringing his inkings to life on the big screen
And

"Everyone decides for themselves what is beautiful, to them," says Talbot, looking at drawings from The Hard Goodbye, the Sin City book Hybride worked from. "And it is beautiful - don't you think?"
Real artists.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 9, 2005, 05:24 PM

I have; why the ridiculous question?
Well, if neither has seen the movie, or just one, then someone is speaking out of turn.
I'll rent it, but am amazed by what little I've seen of it.

Not so rediculous, but I can understand since you did see the movie, your reasoning for asking me.

Dimethyltrypt
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2005, 05:27 PM

Kill Bill was WAYYY better in the "too much violence, killing people for no reason, blood everywhere, weird characters, weird plot" genre.

I was very disappointed.
don't be a MOORON, you lefty terrorist commie.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2005, 05:31 PM

The high contrast and fast action of this film are a crucial part of the film (so is the story), I wonder how it is going to look as good in DVD.

I know it is going to be worthless in DVD rips.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2005, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Dimethyltrypt:
Kill Bill was WAYYY better in the "too much violence, killing people for no reason, blood everywhere, weird characters, weird plot" genre.

I was very disappointed.
They both are up there in fantasy bloddy movie classics category. Tarantino was the special guest director in Sin City.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2005, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Dimethyltrypt:
I was very disappointed.
How so?

I am curious to know more about your disappointment.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2005, 05:58 PM

Well, if neither has seen the movie, or just one, then someone is speaking out of turn.
I'll rent it, but am amazed by what little I've seen of it.

Not so rediculous, but I can understand since you did see the movie, your reasoning for asking me.

if ronnie thinks the plot is nothing but people beating each other up then he obviously hasn't seen the movie. yes it is extremely violent but in no way is that the plot of the movie. i think they did a great job of staying with the plot and style of miller's novels. ronnie is just retarded trying to stir up trouble.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 9, 2005, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
if ronnie thinks the plot is nothing but people beating each other up then he obviously hasn't seen the movie. yes it is extremely violent but in no way is that the plot of the movie. i think they did a great job of staying with the plot and style of miller's novels. ronnie is just retarded trying to stir up trouble.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2005, 06:49 PM

see.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2005, 09:15 PM

This cannot be said when movies have been translated from the original artists intentions.
He must have been pleased with it, co-directing and all. Plus he's in it
Nemo me impune lacesset

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2005, 02:34 AM

Okay, I don't have much to add to the thread, but I just back from seeing Sin City for the third time.

I love this movie.

I love it almost beyond any movie I've ever seen before. And I'm not saying it's flawless. Each time I've seen it, people have laughed at the abismal delivery of the abismal Brittany Murphy. It's pained me. I hate her in it. But beyond that, it's almost note perfect. It's more perfect a comic book movie than has ever been made.

Frank Miller and Robert Rodrieguez shouldn't win Oscars for this. They shouldn't even win any Golden Globes. There needs to be a new award for this. They deserve it.

Sorry for gushing, but go see this movie.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2005, 02:45 AM

Well, it won't be here before August so....

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2005, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
Okay, I don't have much to add to the thread, but I just back from seeing Sin City for the third time.

I love this movie.

I love it almost beyond any movie I've ever seen before. And I'm not saying it's flawless. Each time I've seen it, people have laughed at the abismal delivery of the abismal Brittany Murphy. It's pained me. I hate her in it. But beyond that, it's almost note perfect. It's more perfect a comic book movie than has ever been made.

Frank Miller and Robert Rodrieguez shouldn't win Oscars for this. They shouldn't even win any Golden Globes. There needs to be a new award for this. They deserve it.

Sorry for gushing, but go see this movie.
I actually thought she was pretty good.

The movie is also a gross caricature of action and violent movies. Most "B" movies can be represented in that movie and the dialogs reflect this quite well. The tone of delivery is just as caricatural and this is why the movie turns out to be so much fun at times (like this scene where one of the "bad guys" is questionned by the side of a moving car).

This is great art, as repulsive as the violence can be.
( Last edited by SimpleLife; Apr 10, 2005 at 01:56 PM. )

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2005, 12:12 PM

Just saw this last night.... Im going again tomorrow.

I give it:

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2005, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by SimpleLife:
The tone of delivery is just as caricatural and this is why the movie turns out to be so much fun at times
That's not what I'm taking issue with regarding Brittany Murphy. For instance, I'm a big fan of Michael Madsen's performance. I've talked to a lot of people that didn't like him in it, but he's grown on me each time I've seen it. As I see it, there's a reason for this: consistency. He chose a specific delivery and stuck with it.

Murphy, however, is all over the place. From line to line, she goes from modern to noir to camp and back. There was no precedence for her reading of the "damn fool" line. She didn't really seem to make any coherent choices as a actor, like everything she's been in, and I can't stand it.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2005, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
That's not what I'm taking issue with regarding Brittany Murphy. For instance, I'm a big fan of Michael Madsen's performance. I've talked to a lot of people that didn't like him in it, but he's grown on me each time I've seen it. As I see it, there's a reason for this: consistency. He chose a specific delivery and stuck with it.

Murphy, however, is all over the place. From line to line, she goes from modern to noir to camp and back. There was no precedence for her reading of the "damn fool" line. She didn't really seem to make any coherent choices as a actor, like everything she's been in, and I can't stand it.
But yes, she did: she speaks one way to Del Toro, and one way to Owen. She is playing the defiant / in defense one with the lover / protective one.

She is playing 4 sides of the same personality of women victim of violence: she is defensive of her new lover (being in love for her actual lover) and challenges the former one (to the evil one), yet, acknowledging the violence of the first, but dismisses it as if nothing happened (denial) ("I have been hit worst than that"). And then, she goes all protective to her new lover although he is just as violent as the former...

That was a good bit of dialog writing, and she played it well. She reminded me of one of those classic Hollywood stars from the film noir period (Greta Garbo and all that). I thought she was great in that role.

The weakest performance is Josh Harnett's. But he still pulls something quite disturbing as the innocent-babyface-like killer.

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2005, 10:28 PM

Well, I can only be glad that it worked for somebody. It didn't work for me, though.

I'm content in being happy with the fact that we both enjoyed the movie.

Cheers.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2005, 09:42 AM

Saw the movie last night.

What can I say but wow. The way the film was shot and presented was awesome.

However, I dont think Frank Miller is my cup o tea. I can handle Saving P. Ryan and Kill Bill all day but this was just too much. My girlfriend didn't watch most of it from covering her eyes.

I didnt realize there was an audience for this type of movie out there. I guess the picture novels are the same way, but I have never seen them.

I really like the plot, where the movie was going, and all the surprises, but the blood and gore level of this one left me with an unpleasant feeling. It pushed the envelope way too much and from someone who knows nothing about Frank Miller, missed its mark.

And what was up with Michael Madsen. I thought his delivery sucked compared to kill bill.

11011001  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2005, 09:56 AM

Oh boy. That was an excellent movie. If I wasn't studying for exams I would go and see it again. That huge gladiator guy was my favorite (I'm sorry, I am horrible with names).

The movie was very original. All of it's components have been done before, but the way that they were brough together is where the originality lies.

Best movie of the year so far.

Forum Links
Forum Rules