Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Another brilliant Microsoft marketing video

Another brilliant Microsoft marketing video
design219
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2009, 10:59 PM

And they don't understand why people think Macs are cooler than PCs.

You Tube - Hosting Your Windows 7 Party

Cutting edge stuff.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2009, 11:25 PM

WTF ? LMAO.

Adding comments has been disabled for this video.
Yeah, no sh!t. I wonder why

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2009, 12:07 AM

That is totally awesome.

The most brilliant viral marketing EVAR.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2009, 01:10 AM

They must have observed how successful all of the tea parties were and wanted to piggyback on this

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2009, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
They must have observed how successful all of the tea parties were and wanted to piggyback on this
*tsk* *tsk*

No need to make this PWL material

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2009, 02:52 AM

But I like tea.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2009, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
But I like tea.
I like T., too

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2009, 02:59 AM

Hehe... Mr. T! T for turtle!

Also T too as in T2: Terminator Judgement Day.

I'LL BE BACCCCKKK!! Governator!!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2009, 03:15 AM

It's so wrong it's difficult to comprehend how it came to exist. And why are they so obviouly swingers, is windows 7 the new dogging?

Perhaps PC could invite Mac to his Windows 7 party.

"For the first half hour we just chatted and hung out", then we spent a couple of hours searching the net for updated drivers, then we spent half an hour trying to get the scanner to talk to the PC, then.....". Is that dip.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2009, 07:30 AM

Lets eat healthy party food in a multi-racial (look, there's a black guy) multi-generational (look, cool old people) clean and wholesome environment. Also, we can afford a VAIO, so yeah for aspirational lifestyle.

What I want to know is who's with whom. Young geek with grandma? The two guys together?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2009, 08:50 AM

That is one wild bunch of cross section demographics.
Frankly, I'd want a restraining order if I had to live next to them.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2009, 09:36 AM

I'm really taken with the hip hand held, zoomy, bouncy, camera work that's been so trendy over the last many, many years. And the way a party planner will occasionally address the camera directly... that is so very clever and original.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2009, 09:36 AM

Is this for real? HOLY CRAP.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2009, 09:58 AM

It's even more fun when you bleep out Windows 7.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2009, 10:04 AM

Remember, for your own safety, install Windows 7 several days in advance before your party.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2009, 10:19 AM

The bleeped version is Classic.™

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2009, 10:42 AM

The bleeped version is gold!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2009, 10:50 AM

Oh my Gawd, the bleeped version is brilliant!

OreoCookie
Sep 26, 2009, 11:02 AM

I'm still laughing my butt off, this is really a classic.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
"For the first half hour we just chatted and hung out", then we spent a couple of hours searching the net for updated drivers, then we spent half an hour trying to get the scanner to talk to the PC, then.....". Is that dip.
I hope you're posting this as someone who hasn't used Windows since the Win98 days.

Any time I do a reinstall or buy new hardware or peripherals for my machines (running Vista or XP), it takes less than five minutes to get whatever I've installed working (and most of that time comes from either physically unpacking the peripheral or having to shut down the machine to install something internally, which you have to do on any computer, Mac or PC). Even if the drivers didn't come on a CD with the hardware (which happens even with the latest iPods and the iPhone from the Almighty Apple, might I add), it takes about thirty seconds to go to the manufacturer's website and download and install the drivers you need.

There are plenty of valid opinions for why someone prefers Windows over a Mac, but please do not say total FUD like "it takes a couple hours to find updated drivers for my hardware". That statement isn't even remotely accurate, and hasn't been since Windows XP and the explosion in popularity of the Internet.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2009, 11:29 AM

Way to throw cold water on our fun shif.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2009, 12:13 PM

It seems like this must be some sort of training video for people that have been hired to do "Windows 7 Launch Parties". It doesn't look like it was meant for the masses, and it reminds me A LOT of some previous job training videos I have seen. It is almost definitely not a marketing video.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2009, 02:12 PM

Oh man, that was released internally in the company a few days before it was made public. A coworker of mine was the first to start watching it, and he was laughing so hard that my entire hallway went in his office so we could make fun of the video. (This was before we knew that it was also being released publicly.)

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2009, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Oh man, that was released internally in the company a few days before it was made public. A coworker of mine was the first to start watching it, and he was laughing so hard that my entire hallway went in his office so we could make fun of the video. (This was before we knew that it was also being released publicly.)
So maybe you know... what was the purpose of the video? Who was the intended audience?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2009, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Way to throw cold water on our fun shif.
I'm just tired of the BS that using hardware is so difficult on a PC. This isn't 1998.

Also: that video is thoroughly retarded. Maybe they did that on purpose, because they knew it would get people's attention?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2009, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I'm just tired of the BS that using hardware is so difficult on a PC. This isn't 1998.

Also: that video is thoroughly retarded. Maybe they did that on purpose, because they knew it would get people's attention?
Hey!
1. Was the wonderful pain free vista launch so long ago?
2. What he said. JABOF

hayesk
Sep 27, 2009, 08:41 AM

I but please do not say total FUD like "it takes a couple hours to find updated drivers for my hardware". That statement isn't even remotely accurate, and hasn't been since Windows XP and the explosion in popularity of the Internet.
Uh-huh. I remember when my friend installed Windows XP. HIs keyboard stopped working. That's right, his KEYBOARD! So he couldn't even get to the internet to download a driver. He had to wait until he came to work the next day and download it onto a floppy disk.

And we all know that Vista was the pinnacle of user friendliness, right?

So don't give us BS about Windows not being difficult since 1998. Stop assuming the world is full of PC experts like yourself. You're just like the people who think Linux is ready for the consumer desktop.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
Uh-huh. I remember when my friend installed Windows XP. HIs keyboard stopped working. That's right, his KEYBOARD! So he couldn't even get to the internet to download a driver. He had to wait until he came to work the next day and download it onto a floppy disk.

And we all know that Vista was the pinnacle of user friendliness, right?

So don't give us BS about Windows not being difficult since 1998. Stop assuming the world is full of PC experts like yourself. You're just like the people who think Linux is ready for the consumer desktop.
Not really. I routinely do tech support for people who are computer-illiterate, and they have no problems using Windows - the only real issues I've seen with noob users have related to hardware failures or not understanding that you shouldn't install every toolbar you can find for Internet Explorer.

Why your friend's keyboard stopped working is beyond me. Seems more likely there was some hardware fault rather than Windows itself - it also seems like a pretty isolated thing.

And yes, Vista is extremely user-friendly. It got a crap reputation because the original release was bumpy (OS X 10.0, anyone? ). SP1 fixed all kinds of things, and frankly, I prefer Vista over XP now. The majority of people I've met who talk sh!t about Vista are those who have only used it for a few minutes at Best Buy and haven't had any real experience with it.

What really gets me was the stupid OS X commercial with "the latest camera from Japan", which made it sound like Windows requires drivers to work with digital cameras - which is total and utter FUD. Plug camera in, Windows brings up the Photo Download Wizard (XP) or Windows Photo Gallery (Vista), and you can download everything with one click.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Hey!
1. Was the wonderful pain free vista launch so long ago?
I think it's somewhere with the wonderful pain-free launch of OS X that forced Apple to give users a free point release just to fix all the massive bugs in the OS.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2009, 01:14 PM

shif: the difference was, OS X was a very soft launch. It was the first step of a long transition, it wasn't marketed like crazy and Apple didn't expect people to adopt it in hordes hence Classic and it not being the default OS until much later. Vista was intended to be a drop-in-and-go upgrade to XP, was it not?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2009, 02:32 PM

I think it's somewhere with the wonderful pain-free launch of OS X that forced Apple to give users a free point release just to fix all the massive bugs in the OS.
"all the massive bugs"

pray tell

Or are you talking about 10.0? (Which, really, has absolutely no parallels to the Vista "transition" - such as it ever happened (not).)

OreoCookie
Sep 27, 2009, 05:13 PM

The problem wasn't the bugs, the problem was that 10.0 was slow.

Regarding Windows, the problem is not plug and play or something else, it's the UI. It has gotten `more Mac like' with Vista and Windows 7 (just have a look at the Task Bar which now is a sort of hybrid between OS X' Dock and the traditional Task Bar), but it's still fairly noisy. Most people I know who have had a choice, stayed with XP over Vista. Perhaps it's not entirely deserved, but that's the reality. OS X didn't become popular until 10.2 or even 10.3, that's three releases.

My problem with Windows is that it's too noisy. Way too many buttons to push to connect to a wireless network or copy something from a USB stick. Why is ejecting a drive/usb stick so cumbersome?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2009, 05:20 PM

Two corrections: 10.0 was actually incomplete. It lacked basics like PPPoE (which Windiws didn't include, either, though) or DVD playback.

Apple didn't make OS X the standard boot system until much later - 10.2, IIRC. and that was quite usable.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2009, 05:34 PM

I once had someone get mad at me for recommend she upgrade to Windows XP from ME because, apparently, after installing XP, her optical drive stopped working.

Now, she may have done something stupid, I don't know. But still.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Sep 27, 2009 at 05:44 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 27, 2009, 06:59 PM

Oh. My. God.

The Windows 7 treacle is making my teeth hurt. It's like goddamned Sandra Lee meets Bill Gates (and note the fake Ted Allen wine homo?). Oy.

And Windows Grandma? WTF?

(I'm gay so I can call him a wine homo!)

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
(I'm gay so I can call him a wine homo!)
Uhmmm, I probably shouldn't ask, but what is a wine homo?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 28, 2009, 12:15 AM

My own concocted term for a fine-wine-loving homosexual, such as the type showcased on TV makeover shows.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2009, 03:07 AM

But you said windows had been pain free since 1998, which is self evidentially crap. Thanks to a sane beta release programme and not trying to do everything at once windows 7 looks like it may well achieve a smooth launch.

Which doesn't stop the marketing department being hopeless or a mac forum having a dig at them (and windows)

I'm off to do something productive now. Can't decide between trying to explain why OS X is superior to a windows forum or posting comments on You Tube videos.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Regarding Windows, the problem is not plug and play or something else, it's the UI. It has gotten `more Mac like' with Vista and Windows 7 (just have a look at the Task Bar which now is a sort of hybrid between OS X' Dock and the traditional Task Bar),
I'm going to install Windows 7 on my netbook relatively soon - I'm not particularly jazzed about the new taskbar...guess we'll see.

but it's still fairly noisy. Most people I know who have had a choice, stayed with XP over Vista. Perhaps it's not entirely deserved, but that's the reality. OS X didn't become popular until 10.2 or even 10.3, that's three releases.
I rather prefer Vista to XP, although I know that the new Start Menu design is not for everyone. I'm very keyboard-driven, so being able to hit the Windows key and tap out the name of an app is a lot faster than looking for it on the desktop, quicklaunch, or in the start menu itself.

My issue is with the FUD about how peripherals are easier to use on a Mac than in Windows. It's just not the case anymore. When I installed OS 9 on my old 233MHz Wallstreet II, I was happy to see that USB was inherently supported, while in Windows 98, you need a frigging driver just to use a USB thumb drive (or any other USB device besides a mouse or keyboard, for that matter). XP and Vista both have great USB support, however. The only thing I've needed drivers for is my Epson all-in-one - which needs drivers on a Mac, too, although OS X now includes gigabytes of drivers instead of the Windows way of installing them. Frankly, I prefer the Windows way over wasting 4GB of space (and my PowerMac doesn't have a large drive to begin with!) on hundreds of drivers I will never, ever, ever use.

I think a lot people prefer XP because it's still very similar to how Windows has been since Win95. When I did tech support in the dorms at my alma mater, there were a lot of students who switched the start menu to the classic mode because it was more familiar. The basic stuff - My Computer, Windows Explorer, the start menu and taskbar, etc - are very traditional in XP. Vista made some huge changes to Windows Explorer and the start menu in Vista, and I think it scared people off. The Vista version of Explorer is actually way, way, way better than the one in XP for a list of reasons, but because it looks so different, people are less inclined to use it.

My problem with Windows is that it's too noisy. Way too many buttons to push to connect to a wireless network or copy something from a USB stick. Why is ejecting a drive/usb stick so cumbersome?
I have to say I prefer the wireless connection utility that's been in Windows since XP SP2 over the one in OS X, but that's just a personal preference. WRT to the USB thing - because OS X is a *NIX based system, you have to unmount a disk or thumb drive before you can remove it. It's just how the OS and the filesystem works. In Windows, this isn't necessary. If you have a drive plugged in and aren't actively reading from or writing to it (mostly just writing to it), you can safely unplug it without corrupting anything.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2009, 05:46 PM

What "wireless connection utility" in OS X?

The menu Bar widget?

oh, and as for just disconnecting drives you're "not actively using" being "safe": you wouldn't believe how many iPods and USB sticks this (mistaken) assumption has ****ed. Though admittedly, part of the problem is that there's no way of telling what's in active use before you pull the plug.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Sep 28, 2009 at 05:53 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2009, 05:57 PM

It's amazing that what Eric Raymond wrote in the Art of Unix Programming in this chapter, available online still seems to holds true after all these years. It's incredible how ingenious the original Unix systems were and how much remains intact in Unix like operating systems like OS X after all these years, although certainly Apple has strayed from this model at times too.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2009, 06:21 PM

XP and Vista both have great USB support, however.
Let's talk about that.

Did it ever happen to you that your USB stick suddenly would not appear anymore ?
Sometimes, the mapping to the drive letters gets screwed up.

Now, try to explain your or my mom/dad that the stick is not broken, but that this is just a Windows XP quirkiness, which can be easily corrected by manually changing the drive letter assignment in Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management

-t

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2009, 06:41 PM

Funny thing, my iMac is booted into Windows XP SP2 right now, and it just refused to read my USB Thumb Drive after a week of use.

"New device detected"

"USB Mass Storage Device"

"Device is ready to use"

Oh really, then where the f**k is it? Huh XP, if the device is working properly then why the f**K isn't it showing up?

4 Years back I bought a Pioneer DVDRW for my G4. It was from a PC website and mentioned nothing about Mac compatibility. I was burning DVDs in minutes after physically installing the drive without so much as thinking about 'drivers.'

Back OT, I dunno whether that video is hilarious, or deeply disturbing...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2009, 08:36 PM

You know, the problem with having a Windows 7 part is finding a clever way of hiding the DJ's MacBook & iPod gear.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 28, 2009, 09:31 PM

Who would have thought a girl could ruin a circle jerk.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
So maybe you know... what was the purpose of the video? Who was the intended audience?
Quite tragically, it's exactly what it seems to be -- an educational video for people who have the "privilege" of hosting their own Windows 7 party. I guess the thought was that if you're the type of person who wants to actually hold one of these parties, you won't be put off by this schlock.

And yes, that's about the acting level portrayed by the people in our internal-only "How to Not Let People Steal Sh*t" and "How to Not Bribe Government Officials" training videos. But at least no one has high expectations for those.
( Last edited by TheoCryst; Sep 28, 2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Ooh, fancy new censoring features)

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2009, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Though admittedly, part of the problem is that there's no way of telling what's in active use before you pull the plug.
Most thumb drives and USB hard drives have an activity light. If it's not on, the drive isn't being read from or written to, and is therefore safe to remove without using the "safely remove hardware" thing first.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2009, 12:09 AM

Not if the OS still has some pending writes in the cache.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2009, 12:35 AM

Trusting a light doesn't really inspire me with confidence. They are courtesy indicators, not necessarily definitive.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2009, 04:46 AM

Most thumb drives and USB hard drives have an activity light. If it's not on, the drive isn't being read from or written to, and is therefore safe to remove without using the "safely remove hardware" thing first.
Can you please make the real world work this way?

Because, you know, it doesn't, and it's really harshing my vibe every day of having to deal with people who are bitten by it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules