Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > After restore, Apple ID is someone elses

After restore, Apple ID is someone elses
Rumor
Oct 23, 2015, 11:34 PM

My wife dropped her iPhone six in the toilet Wednesday (before piddling thankfully), grabbed it fairly quickly yet not quick enough. Wouldn't turn on, so in the rice it went for a day. Still wouldn't turn on yesterday, but it would vibrate whenever it was plugged in. Good sign, so back in rice. Today it finally turns on. Screen is a bit wonky, but whatever, for some reason she no longer had insurance for it (separate accounts, I know I put it on there though). So it is asking for an iTunes restore, and we oblige.

However, after the restore it is asking for someone else's Apple ID altogether. iTunes will not do anything with because it says the phone is associated with this other email address. The phone was brand new from the Apple store when we got it, and we don't even know who this person is. Same first name and last initial, but shorter email address. Has anyone ever heard of this? Tried a bit of Googling, but everything that comes up is regarding second hand phones.

Currently testing a factory reset on mine to see if that will work without being locked to an Apple ID.

Phone is iPhone 6 64 GB running the last version of iOS 8.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ibook_steve
Oct 27, 2015, 12:31 PM

"Shorter email address"? I don't understand. Can't you just type in the email address you want to use and enter the password? iTunes account info (iCloud, etc.) is not locked to a phone.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Rumor  (op)
Oct 28, 2015, 10:58 AM

It doesn't matter now since she got a replacement. What I meant though was the phone after restore had someone else's Apple ID associated with it, and it would not let her log in with her Apple ID.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ibook_steve
Oct 28, 2015, 12:19 PM

But a restore should wipe the user, shouldn't it?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Ham Sandwich
Oct 28, 2015, 02:35 PM

Yes if it's a factory restore. Try that. It'll go through the whole process of asking for your iCloud info, enable Location Services, etc. You'll just need to redownload your apps and position them where you want, and change the desktop background. No biggie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules