Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama and McCain's first debate

View Poll Results: Obama - McCain Debate 9-26-08
Poll Options:
Obama 30 votes (65.22%)
McCain 16 votes (34.78%)
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll
Obama and McCain's first debate (Page 3)
Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2008, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
That's his name and I choose to use it. You're the one who apparently has a problem with it, otherwise why would you object to people using it? Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama.
I for one don't have a problem with you using it. It makes you come across as racist, small minded, ignorant and intolerant, not unlike a lot of the things you post. Par for the course I'd say.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2008, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I for one don't have a problem with you using it.
Good to know, although that doesn't seem to be true.
It makes you come across as racist, small minded, ignorant and intolerant, not unlike a lot of the things you post. Par for the course I'd say.
Weak ad hominems, Paco. Very weak indeed.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Now, being that McCain was addressing his opponent as senator suggests that Obama perhaps should have reciprocated. But the whole thing is a non issue.
I see that Obama called him "Senator McCain" in the horseshit video just posted.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2008, 07:53 AM

Paco5000: if you cared about the US you wouldn't mind the fact that Big Mac is saving us all from the evils of a party that does not adhere to the constitution and is all round evil!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2008, 08:25 AM

That's his name and I choose to use it. You're the one who apparently has a problem with it, otherwise why would you object to people using it? Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama. Barack Hussein Obama.
Actually, I think using 'Barack Hussein Obama' is totally fair. It's 'B Hussein O' that I think speaks volumes about a person's motivations.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2008, 10:06 AM

Good to know, although that doesn't seem to be true.
I don't think I've ever commented on it before so I'm not sure why you think I have a problem with it, but hopefully it's all cleared up now.
Weak ad hominems, Paco. Very weak indeed.
Strictly speaking, I'm not sure these were ad hominem arguments. The discussion was about your motivations for constantly using his middle name. An ad hominem argument, unless I'm mistaken, is when one argues the relative merits of the arguer rather than the argument itself. As the argument was about your motivations for using the name, stating my interpretation of your motivations seems perfectly valid.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Are you really being serious? Obama was trying to be condescending by using his first name, rather than his title. These guys are, after all, trying to be POTUS. They should have used at least "Mr. xxx", but "Senator xxx" would have been most appropriate.

It's just Obama trying -- and failing -- to seem like he's above McCain.
Yeah, you're completely reading into things. Obama has nothing to gain from trying to come off condescending.

Now, if you tell me he's trying to come off as friendlier, I could buy that.

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post
I'm really surprised at the number of people who don't take issue with this, and the number who ignored Obama's demeanor.
Frankly, I'm surprised by the number who ignored the fact that McCain wouldn't even look at Obama while he was speaking. I find that far more disrespectful, but who gives it a ****, it counts for nothing.

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
My guess is that it is owing to the informality of the debate structure, and Obama wanting to appear on a first name basis with a senior politician. I don't think it was attempted to be subversive or disrespectful.
I definitely think the debate structure may have contributed to this. I'm not sure about that second part. If anything, Obama was trying to play the part of bi-partisan – being on good terms with the opposition, which being on a first name basis could imply.

Uh huh. So when you see your doctor for a checkup, whose name is Dr. Adam Jones, you don't call him Dr. Jones? You call him Adam? I don't think you'd claim that. Congressmen are given the same type of respect by fellow politicians and members of the media.
I imagine it depends on how long you've known them, and what type of relationship you have. First name is definitely not out of the question, particularly with you family doctor.

You also forgot the 'Doc" option/appellation.

I did, and I think that's acceptable. But when your opponent is calling you by your title, Senator, don't you think you should return the formality?
No more than I think that when your opponent is being friendly and using you first name, you should reciprocate such friendliness.

---

This basically reeks of the mindset divide that is usually found between the parties. In essence, it's the people who believe in wearing ties to work vs. those who would wear jeans.

And as Big mac noted, it's inconsequential. This counts for nothing. Neither candidate lost or gained voters on this issue, IMO.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Actually, I think using 'Barack Hussein Obama' is totally fair. It's 'B Hussein O' that I think speaks volumes about a person's motivations.
Ort's new persona and Big Mac's clever "I'll constantly use Obama's middle name because if liberals object I get to call them intolerent ha ha ha" game are equally irritating.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Public poll.

Not voting.

Would be interesting to see how many more people would vote if this were a private poll.
Not really. This being public shows that (among members who's political leaning I'm aware of), no one has crossed sides.

If this were private, you'd think Obama won the debate in a landslide, which is simply not the case.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2008, 12:23 PM

I don't mind if the right wing nuts insist on using Obama's middle name. To me, if they feel so threatened and insecure that they have to haul out such an incredibly weak argument (that somebody having a name of Hussein is a bad thing, or damaging, or mockible, or whatever), have at it. It's not too much different than mocking somebody whose name is "Dick", and about as mature an argument.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2008, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I don't mind if the right wing nuts insist on using Obama's middle name. To me, if they feel so threatened and insecure that they have to haul out such an incredibly weak argument (that somebody having a name of Hussein is a bad thing, or damaging, or mockible, or whatever), have at it. It's not too much different than mocking somebody whose name is "Dick", and about as mature an argument.
While you make a fine point, Dick is a pretty funny name.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 07:18 PM

I once knew a girl named "Chaney;" she didn't think the whole "Dick Cheney" thing was that funny

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post
1. Senator McCain
2. My opponent
3. The Senator
4. My friend John McCain

Any choice would be good. I'm really surprised at the number of people who don't take issue with this, and the number who ignored Obama's demeanor.
So are more outraged that John McCain continued to not look Obama in the face in the second debate, and referred to him as "that one"? Seems like if you didn't like "John", then "that one" certainly wouldn't be any better.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2008, 12:03 AM

I liked when McCain referred to Obama's "cronies" in Washington, and then added "and friends" as if that made it better. He actually seemed a bit embarrassed for a second. I think he has been watching too many of his own attack ads.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2008, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
I liked when McCain referred to Obama's "cronies" in Washington, and then added "and friends" as if that made it better. He actually seemed a bit embarrassed for a second. I think he has been watching too many of his own attack ads.
Haha... I think so.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules