Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > HELP!! Apple Mail duplicates all new mail!

HELP!! Apple Mail duplicates all new mail!
mozart11
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2003, 09:21 AM

I just switched to Apples Mail from years of OSX Entrourage, bought the .mac email, extra 25 megs for mail and extra 100 megs for my idisk. 2 days ago. Tonight a 4 word question email from my brother came in at 2994 times. Had to force quit. deleted all the mailboxes and copied ones from my back up firewire disk, sent myself a test message. Same thing. Thousands of copies of the test message.

Apple is nuts if they think this is not a priority. It's back to Entourage i guess.

Has anyone found a solution?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2003, 09:34 AM

Well, it's "definitely" not a world-wide issue that affects all users thats for sure...I have NEVER seen such a thing happen. Try to e-mail .Mac support or view their support page for a solution...

mozart11  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2003, 09:41 AM

I emailed support last night. I've tried everything under the sun. I was so impressed with the .mac ting also.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2003, 09:58 AM

Have you tried rebuilding your mailboxes (not copying over from your backup drive)??

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 11:04 AM

that's pretty strange.

Are you sure you haven't set up some sort of automatic forwarding loop for your accounts?
cpac

mozart11  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2003, 11:12 AM

I haven't set any forwarding up. It happened out of the blue. I read in other forums of it happening and no one has found a solution. I running Tech Tool as we speak on that computer. I'll try rebuilding the mailboxes when it's done.

d_oob
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 11:06 PM

Searching through the MacNN Forums and i've found very few threads talking about this problem. My girlfriend is(as I write) deleting and updating her old email. As she does this some strange things are happening. Duplicates of email are showing up in mailboxes that she never moved any email to. It seems most of these emails are messages that she has deleted and emptied out of the trash. We also noticed that many of these emails that are being duplicated are email that were addressed to groups of people. This is really strange.

Could this be a virus of some kind, duplicating emails and creating several at the most 10 of each message every minute?

AND on another note with Mail.app, before we noticed this problem we were backing up email via File->Save As->Rich Text Format(Include Attachments) Here's the problem. It would work and then it sometimes doesn't. It would be random. Meaning we would select say 10 emails, and then do a Save As and then open the backed up file(it would open in Text Edit) but only 3 of the 10 messages would be in the file. The headers would be there but the body would be missing. What is up with that? And at
one point it didn't work at all.

Is Apple's Email program buggy?

Please any help on this.

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2003, 11:37 PM

This has something to do with your account being set up to save a copy on the server.

In Mail, go to Preferences-Accounts-Advanced and make sure you have the "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message"

hope this works...
Chris.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

d_oob
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by cacarr1:
This has something to do with your account being set up to save a copy on the server.

In Mail, go to Preferences-Accounts-Advanced and make sure you have the "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message"

hope this works...
Chris.
The thing is that we haven't connected to the internet. This a totally non-internet related thing. It seems like something happened in the export/import of the files.

milhouse
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 06:04 PM

I have similar problems with my Comcast POP account. I'd receive the same email 20 or 30 times .

Deleting the offending email from the server seems to "fix" the problem. I've never had a single problem with either of my .Mac accounts.
"-Dodge This"

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 08:01 PM

First... I'm sorry, I have no answer for you.

Second... You're not crazy. That has happened to me at least a FEW times since the OS X Public beta release. I have NO IDEA what caused or causes it... nor do I have any clue how I stopped it.

I do remember that I had to reset my server settings... but I am not exactly sure of the exact conditions or how to recreate those conditions... but yes, I've experienced it a few times in the past few years.

Even though you're not connected, I'd still double-check the settings... connect... get mail... let it do it's thing... then DELETE the copies WHILE CONNECTED to the internet.

That's my best guess as to how to fix it.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

bigcrabtree
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2003, 11:06 PM

We ended up just hauling ass on backing up the email before anything else weird could happen. We were able to just save most files to RTF files for later use. We will just start fresh on the mail.app account on the new iBook G4.

It can be sooo messy moving things from an old G3 that ran OS9 to a virgin machine. yikes! I didn't mean for it to sound like that. But hope all will work out now.

So on another note what do you think we can get a Beige G3 266 with monitor, scsi scanner, scsi 4x burner for these days?

OH btw - for some reason i have 2 nicks. Bigcrabtree = d_oob weird.

Forum Links
Forum Rules