Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Will Micro$oft Release Office for iPad?

View Poll Results: Will M$ Release Office for iPad? When?
Poll Options:
Yes, any time now. 4 votes (36.36%)
Yes, when they lose hope that iPad won't overtake Windows clients. 3 votes (27.27%)
No never, they'd soon wither and die than suckle at Apple's teat for survival. 1 votes (9.09%)
Who gives a flying Ballmer? 3 votes (27.27%)
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll
Will Micro$oft Release Office for iPad?
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2012, 08:11 PM

When? How much will it cost?

What the hell as taken them so long?

Will you buy it?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2012, 02:18 AM

I won't buy it. My guess is they genuinely hope people won't start using iPads for Office work.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2012, 03:00 AM

I don't see a real future for office on desktop computers, much less mobile devices.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2012, 05:32 AM

They're in a bind.

If they do, they legitimize a platform they don't yet have an answer to.

But every day they don't, they're proving their own irrelevance and killing one of their two primary products.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2012, 08:56 AM

I feel the same way. Can they really still believe that iPad hasn't already gone far enough to be legitimate though? Its very popular in business already and getting more so every day. Where its making real inroads now though is schools. They are cheaper than laptops, less distracting, easier to lock down, more robust and reliable, require less maintenance and managementand can replace heavy and expensive textbooks.

If M$ doesn't put Office onto the iPad (and it will have to be reasonably priced for schools too, especially if they release it before Apple can set up volume licensing everywhere) then they are going to lose the biggest advantage that Office has. This is not that its a powerful tool as many will tell you, its that everyone is used to it because its what they learned in school.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2012, 12:37 PM

Who needs it?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2012, 01:28 PM

It would help drive enterprise adoption a bit faster. Its happening anyway though.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2012, 01:30 PM

Who needs it?

Welp, that is exactly the question Microsoft have opened themselves up to.

Conventional wisdom before iPad has been: everybody.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2012, 05:37 PM

Isn't this supposed to be a public poll? I don't see who voted.

EDIT:

Yes:

"Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected."

However, I can't see the results of the poll when logged in, and I can't see an option from the regular thread page to go to the Poll Results. However, I see that the Poll Results page does exist, and if I go directly there I can see the results.

http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge-89/3564/a/

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2012, 02:19 AM

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft tries to leverage Office to push Windows 8 as the default tablet for big businesses. I can see a lot of lame ass IT people handing executives Windows 8 tablets and calling them iPads in the hopes that their bosses won't know the difference.

Forum Links
Forum Rules