Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Replacing Top Case?

Replacing Top Case?
Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 03:06 PM

Through an accident, my PowerBook (just a month old) got a huge scratch along the left palm rest. Is there any way that you guys know of to get Apple to replace the top case even though it says in the Terms and Conditions in the AppleCare warranty that they dont cover accidents? Its really really annoying to have the scratch there (it actually makes something of a valley and its distracting when typing on the keyboard as well). Will Apple replace the top case for any reason at all? It doesnt seem likely, but if anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

ojnihs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 03:09 PM

Hey Holigen,

Well I was at school last year and some idiot was walking by and dropped his textbook on my powerbook. Left a dent on the top of the display, so like two inches from the apple on top, and it's annoying to look at when my display is closed.

Apple wouldn't fix it under AppleCare because it was clasified as accidental damage, and if I wanted it fixed, it would have cost me $600+. So I said forget it.

I think your situation is pretty close to mine, so I doubt Apple will fix it.

Hope this helps.

Holigen  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 03:17 PM

Damn, that sucks too. Apple really needs a warrantly like Dell's new ones. Thanks for the help though.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2004, 05:22 PM

Apple will not fix it under warranty. I can say this from experience as a tech. They won't do it.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Holigen  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 02:52 PM

Well, ya, I know they wont replace it just because of a cosmetic accident, but will they ever replace it for any other reason? I mean like if they replace the logic board, will they replace the top case as well? Just wondering...

ojnihs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2004, 03:45 PM

Well, from my experience with Apple Support, it doesn't seem like they'll replace it if it comes to some other problem. They seem to just do what their supposed and move on with it to save time and be more efficient.

There is, however, one way that you could get it redone, such as if Apple Care totally messes your computer up and you get it in worse shape, cosmetically that is, back than when you sent it in. You just have to complain like a madman and they'll probably fix it for you.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2004, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Holigen:
Well, ya, I know they wont replace it just because of a cosmetic accident, but will they ever replace it for any other reason? I mean like if they replace the logic board, will they replace the top case as well? Just wondering...
Depending on the damage, they may not even replace it if your trackpad goes bad.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2004, 05:50 PM

2 words. Safe Ware. Well, maybe it's one word. either way. www.safeware.com I've read of many people having this and loving it. Personally, my home owners insurance covers all damage, including accidental damage to my powerbook(s).

Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 06:06 PM

And they may not even fix your logic board because of the giant scratch... they may claim that it caused it.

Holigen  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 10:45 PM

Damn, well, I found this on the web:

http://store.yahoo.com/tipaint/conal.html

Does anyone have any experience with this? Id rather find out that it doesnt work and not have to pay 20 bucks than pay the money and get bad results...

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2004, 01:59 AM

Damn, well, I found this on the web:

http://store.yahoo.com/tipaint/conal.html

Does anyone have any experience with this? Id rather find out that it doesnt work and not have to pay 20 bucks than pay the money and get bad results...
I don't have any personal experience, but I recall hearing good things about it from other people on the forum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules