Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Might this be one of the surprises at WWDC.?

Might this be one of the surprises at WWDC.?
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2012, 06:58 PM

So I was reading David Pogue's latest column at NYTimes and this to me, seems like backing up those rumors about photography being one of three things Steve Jobs wanted to reinvent.

Camera. I bought the amazing Canon S100, a tiny pocket camera with the biggest sensor on the market. I wrote about my reasons here. But in two weeks, I’ll be switching my allegiance. You cannot believe what’s about to come down the photographic pike.

Trust me: If you’re in the market for a small camera with astonishing photographic results, hold off for a few weeks.

'Two weeks' makes sense if a camera is to be unveiled at WWDC next week. Thoughts?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2012, 07:08 PM

A camera from Apple? I can't see it.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2012, 07:59 PM

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2012, 08:36 PM

Yes! I loved all the pictures I took with one of those in a format that no picture editor could open.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2012, 02:07 AM

Long shot made up stuff I just thought of: Apple are supposed to be putting more Facebook integration into OS X, Facebook bought Instagram, this is an Apple Instagram camera for OS X.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2012, 03:04 AM

Is there really a way for Apple to make a high margin stand alone camera that people will really want to buy?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2012, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Is there really a way for Apple to make a high margin stand alone camera that people will really want to buy?
I'd be as surprised as anyone if it happened but a slim camera with a good lens, good sensor and proper optical zoom, merged with iPod Touch-like functionality could be a winner with a lot of people.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2012, 04:51 AM

They had healthy margins on the iSight for a long time.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2012, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
slim camera with a good lens, good sensor and proper optical zoom
I wonder if they're seeing the rise of the mirrorless segment and getting greedy. I personally like to be able to change lenses, except for dedicated cameras (like the GoPro for underwater stuff).

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2012, 10:16 AM

I don't think Apple will be making a standalone camera. It would have to be far superior to the camera in the 4S to get people to buy it, otherwise why not just get the phone? I would be happy if they added the feature to take snapshots while recording video like some Android phones have. Smaller HD video file sizes would also be nice.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

freudling
Banned
Jun 8, 2012, 10:45 AM

No way. Pogue must be referring to some brand other than Apple coming out with a kick ass point and shoot.

No way Apple would release a camera.

There's always the 44 megapixel Nokia phone though:

Nokia 808 PureView has 41-megapixel camera in official pics | CNET UK

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2012, 12:47 PM

I just can't imagine Apple releasing a single-function device like a camera. And why would an iPhone user want yet another point-and-click? Unless someone thinks Apple is gonna move into the pro camera market, which is just impossible to believe.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2012, 01:16 PM

Apple's been exiting the pro market for years, they're not going to try and squirm back in for a pro level camera. Any advances they make in cameras are going into the iPhone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules