Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Furniture Identification Help

Furniture Identification Help
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2012, 07:38 AM

Here's a partial picture of one of my childhood dressers. I love it. Can anyone find something similar pictured online?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2012, 11:03 AM

Anyone? I'm so clueless I don't even know what type of wood it is.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2012, 11:36 AM

I had/have one very similar, the drawers look the same but the edge was not beveled. I'll try to find out where it came from when I get home tonight. It looks like oak? Or hickory?

Also, I'll soon be selling/donating all my furniture in advance of a move. If you want to come up to Seattle, you can buy mine.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2012, 11:39 AM

Looks like its made out of REAL wood, not like the products we see today.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2012, 11:51 AM

Thanks guys. I think you're right Uncle, I always assumed it's oak, but it looks a lot nicer than the oak dressers I see online.

Can you not buy real wood furniture today? It's all composite junk?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2012, 11:55 AM

$$$

Real wood furniture is pretty expensive compared to the particle board crap. Can easily drop 3k on a hardwood dresser.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2012, 11:59 AM

That's what I was wondering about. I sort of guessed at that level of cost. Sounds like a lot of money but it makes sense. Good to know. My two dressers must not have been cheap in early 1980s dollars, either, but I guess it's true you've got to pay up for quality versus mass market crap nowadays.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2012, 01:12 PM

softwood furniture is cheaper, its the hardwood that's expensive. But the hardwood furniture is what lasts the longest too. 70 years ago furniture was passed around generation to generation because it was rare, had value and was worth keeping. Come the 70's and 80's furniture becomes really cheap and disposable.

This is the place I've had my eye on for a while but its based out of Ontario, shipping is almost as expensive as the furniture itself.

Mule Chest - 9 Drawer Wooden Mule Dresser - Hudson Valley Mule Chest

The dresser is 2850, this is the upper end of the price range for hardwood furniture, low output, by hand production. Mass produced hardwood furniture would be 1000 to 1500 less but still well over a 1000 in price.

Have you thought about just sending that photo to a local wood craft place near your home to reproduce it as a custom piece?

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2012, 01:42 AM

I asked my mom today where my dressers came from and she told me they were Thomasville. I just took a look at their dressers and don't see anything comparable to mine. They don't even seem to make my tall dresser type (that I showed) anymore.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2012, 07:37 AM

That's oak. They justs don't d much furniture like that anymore because of style and marketing. You could check out Furniture Row; their Oak Express line is more classic than most brands these days.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2012, 08:19 AM

If its oak, it should be quite heavy.

Why are there no handles on the drawers?

Hardwood furniture is good because its much harder for woodworm to eat. Like the beams in my house, way too tough for woodworm. Its bad/expensive because the trees take forever to grow so buy used, antique or sustainable.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2012, 09:41 AM

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Why are there no handles on the drawers?
There are no handles because they're not necessary. They pull from below.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2012, 01:39 PM

Oak is nice. But it's fugly as furniture.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2012, 03:50 PM

Much better used for whisky barrels!
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Much better used for whisky barrels!
Which can then be turned into furniture!

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Shortcut View Post
Oak is nice. But it's fugly as furniture.
With nothing but a lite stain and clear finish, oak is kind of plain, especially if it is made from modern plank-cut boards. Quarter-sawn oak has a lot of character, and with a nice complex stain (or even better, a "fumed" stain) and finish, it becomes the stuff of beauty that made it one of the more popular furniture woods for centuries.

Take a look at "mission style" furniture, and at "arts and crafts" furniture, such as a Morris chair...the wood has depth and character, and the designs are elegant in their simplicity. Yes, I am a very big fan of this style.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2012, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Which can then be turned into furniture!
Eventually perhaps. First fill should be bourbon really, then single malt after that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules