Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WWDC 2012: Product announcements

WWDC 2012: Product announcements (Page 2)
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
^A bad one. The form factor was half of the allure of the Express.
Having the 2 Ethernet ports is nice though, wish it had it long ago. One for the internet connection, one to hard wire a computer while still having wifi for everything else.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I'm pretty pleased with the Thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adaptor.

Good price too.

I'm wondering if the Mac Pro got updated the way it did (or really didn't) because they have a real update in the works and it wasn't ready. They have done bodged updates before (original G4 was a G3 with a drop in CPU). Would also explain why it wasn't mentioned.
The G4 with the G3 guts was just the entry level "Yikes" machine. There were real G4s in the rest of the line.

The Mac Pro is a legacy product on life support. That's Apple's message, unfortunately.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2012, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The G4 with the G3 guts was just the entry level "Yikes" machine. There were real G4s in the rest of the line.

The Mac Pro is a legacy product on life support. That's Apple's message, unfortunately.
The Yikes G4 was the first one out because the Sawtooth wasn't ready yet. This seems similar, like a placeholder.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2012, 11:17 PM

iOS 6 looks awesome. So many innovative features, much more than just incremental development or copying from exiting 3rd party apps. I'm very much looking forward to it.

-t

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2012, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Who is going to buy this?
People who want a faster Mac Pro.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2012, 11:54 PM

Some of us want a Mac Tower with the guts of a iMac, its not just about speed. I like to have my 4 hard drives inside the machine, not piled up on my desk. I like to upgrade my Video card not replace the entire machine. I want a thriving 3rd party hardware industry that offers cards I can put into a tower. Maybe I want a Firewire 400 PCI card instead of using a adapter and making my firewire 800 chain slow down to 400 for one device. Perhaps I want a internal tunner card or capture card vs a USB one. We need a affordable tower that isn't tits out in speed/price.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2012, 11:55 PM

I also would prefer the guts of an iMac in a Mac pro... but for a heluvalot less money than what they're charging now, and with both USB 3 and Thunderbolt included.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2012, 07:29 AM

Whats the consensus on an iMac refresh? September?

Be nice to have a 27 inch Retina display, but I'd hope that I'm not limited to 500G.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I was thinking weeks, but then again I predicted a decent Mac Pro release now too. Boy was I ever wrong.

Be nice to have a 27 inch Retina display, but I'd hope that I'm not limited to 500G.
500G?

If the 27" goes Retina, I hope they do it at 200 ppi instead of 220 ppi like with the 15.4" MBP: TNG. I find the 109 ppi of the current 27" too high for a desktop. The 21.5" iMac is much better at 102 ppi. Plus I would hope they'd remove that @#$^@$ chin on the iMac and give both the 27" iMac and the 27" Thunderbolt Display some height adjustability.

Even Apple thinks the 27" iMac is too tall, as it designed the 27" TB Display to be 1" shorter than the 27" iMac.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2012, 08:41 AM

Those new MBPs 'only' have 500G flash. I need more space.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2012, 08:54 AM

Thunderbolt drive. Or a cheaper option: USB 3 drive.

One of the big benefits of finally adopting 2010 technology - cheap and fast external hard drive options.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2012, 09:14 AM

It's so simple. Buy what you need.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2012, 09:24 AM

I'm pretty pleased with the Thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adaptor.
Compatibility
MacBook Air with Thunderbolt
MacBook Pro with Retina display

Why no Mac mini compatibility.? It would come handy for urgent needs.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2012, 09:27 AM

I am pretty sure it'll work on your Mini. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and Software Update ran a Thunderbolt updater on it yesterday to provide compatibility with the adapter, yet my machine isn't listed either. I suspect Apple is saying that those two machine require the adapter for ethernet. It probably works fine on all Thunderbolt machines.

P
Jun 12, 2012, 09:45 AM

I'd say three weeks or thereabouts. As stated elsewhere, I suspect supply issues with the GPU.

You won't be, because you'll have a 1 TB HDD as well.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I'm gonna wait for a 13" retina, but only when they become more mainstream and the costs come to more reasonable levels.
Comparing the 15" Pro to the 15" Retina, the retina is $400 more and gives you double the ram ($100 upgrade) and 256 of flash HD ($500 upgrade) plus the retina display of course. If the future 13" is $300-400 more than the base $1,200 model and comes with similar upgrades that would be an amazing machine.

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
1. IIRC they've released updates at the end of WWDC quietly. So, it could be as early as next week.

2. As soon as the new ones are released, everything else goes on sale, including the refurbs, so there is very strong incentive to wait esp. since it's been over 13 months since the last update.

3. Personally I don't think it's a good idea to buy any brand new desktop in 2012 without USB 3 support, unless you can get an excellent deal on it. See #2.

4. What have they been doing for the last week?
1) That's what I thought so I'm still telling them to wait it out.

2) They like to buy new and keep it as long as possible. This iMac would replace a G5 iMac.

3) Their only use for USB 3 would be an external HD, but they plan on getting a Time Capsule for wireless backups.

4) Using their respective work computers (desktops) mainly. My dad also has an old iPod Touch and my mom has a windows netbook that I think they just remembered the password to.

I told them I would ship them my old iBook just so they don't buy an iMac today and see the new models come out right after the return period is up.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I told them I would ship them my old iBook just so they don't buy an iMac today and see the new models come out right after the return period is up.
Heh. We have an old iBook sitting in the kitchen that we've been trying to justify keeping but even for kitchen and living room couch use it's proving to be quite irritating these days. Flash support, but it's so slow that Flash in effectively not really supported. But yeah, it'd be fine for a few weeks if they have access to their work computers.

Judging by what you describe with your parents, it might make sense to consider a refurb. Apple has a 21.5" 3.06 GHz Core i3 with 4 GB RAM and 500 GB hard drive for $929. Or else a 21.5" 2.5 GHz quad Core i5 for $999. That price will likely drop when the new iMacs are released.

BTW, the 21.5" is more ergonomically suited than the 27" too, because the height is lower, and the pixel density is also lower (making text easier to read).

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2012, 12:02 PM

What are the chances of Mountain Lion installing on my 2007 white Macbook? 2.16GHz, 4GB RAM, GMA950 graphics. System specs for ML say the minimum is the 2008 Macbook.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2012, 12:11 PM

You need to have 64-bit EFI for one thing, so I don't think so unfortunately.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2012, 12:14 PM

I can see the iPhone, iPods, iPads being updated to USB 3, just because it will still be backwards compatible with USB 2 for every one else with legacy hardware.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2012, 01:39 PM

Yes, I am expecting the iPhone 5 to go USB 3, but with a different, smaller dock connector.

Also, the iPod nano just seems ridiculous with that ginormous USB 2 dock connector interface.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
iOS 6 looks awesome. So many innovative features, much more than just incremental development or copying from exiting 3rd party apps. I'm very much looking forward to it.

-t
And the venerable iPhone 3GS is being supported, not sure to what degree but hey, it still gets some love from Apple.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2012, 06:00 PM

I enjoyed WWDC mostly about the software updates. Retina displays are nice once there's app support for it. I'll probably buy one in another year or two once my 13 inch 2.7Ghz i7 Pro feels long in the tooth. But considering I've bumped it to 8 gigs of RAM, a 1TB HDD, a 128 gig SSD, and a thunderbolt monitor ... I don't think I'm going to be complaining about it any time soon.

I kind of wish that Apple would have allowed us to dynamically size things instead of setting fixed resolutions with pixel doubling. Ultimately this is probably less work for developers though.

I'm super excited about the AirPort Express update I'm going to buy one since my original is 7 years old, and I'm going to get my mom a Smart Case.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Compatibility
MacBook Air with Thunderbolt
MacBook Pro with Retina display

Why no Mac mini compatibility.? It would come handy for urgent needs.
If it doesn't work on Mac Mini I may actually have to kill Tim Cook.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2012, 07:10 PM

It will probably work with the next mac mini update, whenever that happens.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2012, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
It will probably work with the next mac mini update, whenever that happens.
You mean hardware or software? It will need to work on current Mac Mini hardware to prevent me being very, very annoyed.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I kind of wish that Apple would have allowed us to dynamically size things instead of setting fixed resolutions with pixel doubling. Ultimately this is probably less work for developers though.
You mean just a scale slider?

To what advantage?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2012, 07:00 AM

You mean hardware or software? It will need to work on current Mac Mini hardware to prevent me being very, very annoyed.
It should work. Why wouldn't it? Did your Mini get the software update?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2012, 09:20 AM

Not yet, its a customers Mini server actually.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2012, 01:59 AM

Been a while since I looked at teh Apple Store : so, the 17 incher MBP is dead then?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 14, 2012, 02:04 AM

I've never seen a 17" in the wild, so I wasn't surprised in the least to see it go. I'd bet a chocolate milk that it only survived this long because its chassis was already designed, and grafting on different chips to the logic board every few months wasn't costing much. In other words, had Apple waited another product generation before dramatically altering the dimensions/innards of the MBP, the 17" reprieve would have been as long.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2012, 02:48 AM

A mate has one, loves it. It is a beautiful machine, not exactly portable in the strict sense of the word.

I was always tempted by the 17 inch, but then you see what you can get in the iMac for less $£€s.

Forum Links
Forum Rules