Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Jobs is Officially Gone, Apple Slooowws

Jobs is Officially Gone, Apple Slooowws (Page 2)
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2012, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
The iOS 6 Beta has a white keyboard and blue upper number well. Keys and call button styled differently. It's totally different. What don't you understand?

Are they just making fun of Android here and not going to market with this?

Because it's a complete rip off.
Care to post a few screen shots showing the similarities?

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2012, 09:48 PM

The iOS 6 Beta has a white keyboard and blue upper number well. Keys and call button styled differently. It's totally different. What don't you understand?

No need to get snippy with me, I was just wondering as nothing I see in the preview looks much different then iOS5.

Apple - iOS 6 Preview

Have there been any notable tweaks to the functionality?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2012, 10:02 PM

Dude, you have gone completely nuts. Ranting about a ripped off keyboard ? F*cking please.

I'm soooo gonna switch to Android for a mother*cking "original" keyboard.

-t

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jun 12, 2012, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Dude, you have gone completely nuts. Ranting about a ripped off keyboard ? F*cking please.

I'm soooo gonna switch to Android for a mother*cking "original" keyboard.

-t
Jesus relax.

No I'm serious. This keyboard is literally an exact copy of that found on Android, right down to the color gradients.

I would love to post a screenshot. Am I allowed to do this? Aren't I locked down under NDA?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2012, 11:33 PM

Jesus relax.

No I'm serious.
Freudling relax. I'm serious.

Nobody gives a shit about ripped off keyboards.

-t

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jun 12, 2012, 11:44 PM

Sorry guys, it's the dialpad, not the keyboard.

The dialpad is the rip job. It's like this, but a newer version (number well is Android blue with white numbers):

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6033/...42c73558cc.jpg

Here's one of a zillion variations under (Nokia to get it started):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pM3v_dNVcc...Dial%2BPad.png

It's been done to death on Android for the past 2 years.

Another variation from HTC:

http://cdn2.ubergizmo.com/wp-content...review__04.jpg

Another:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Hfm3tmHdrug/0.jpg

The one I have in mind that is so similar to Apple's I believe is from a Sony or Samsung. A smartphone that's over 1 year old. A literal exact copy. There's so many variations of it it's mind spinning.

More like this:

http://cdn.techsplurge.com/wp-conten...exDialer-1.png

I just point this out because as soon as my iOS 6 beta was finished installing I hit the phone dial pad up to make a call and it jumped out at me... I've seen this before! Android.

And then when I went to the iTunes Store and saw the dark gradients with rows of horizontally scrolling thumbnails with half of one always cut off the screen... I've seen this before! Netflix. Oh and, FYI, the App Store has moved over to rows of horizontally scrolling thumbnails as well a la Netflix. Not sure how I feel about it. It's much faster to rifle through a vertical list with inertial scrolling. Scrolling horizontally is awkward compared.

I'm just surprised... Apple does a lot of their own unique UI stuff but these two things really jump out. I realize UI things become an industry standard but Apple is the first to sue over it. They should get a taste of their own medicine with someone suing them for UI stuff.
( Last edited by freudling; Jun 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 12:06 AM

Ok, WTF, can you just post 2 pics, one from iOS6, and one that is the "original". I really don't see the clear ripp off in the pics linked above.

-t

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jun 13, 2012, 12:39 AM

Ok, WTF, can you just post 2 pics, one from iOS6, and one that is the "original". I really don't see the clear ripp off in the pics linked above.

-t
Here's the latest iOS 6 keyboard. The last dialpad I posted above is the closest I can find on Google images. I don't have the Android phone in question.

The reality is these lighter colored dialpads have been done to death. Apple's just now adopting it? 2 years ago it would have been cool.

Dialpad

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/v...g/IMG_5166.png

Netflix style navigation iTunes Store:

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/v...DE80339193.png

Takes a selection of "see all" and a slow load screen to get list view for 1 category:

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/v...BD6368D8DD.png

A god knows what view under TV shows. A mess.

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/v...F357D2B658.png

App Store... Netflix style:

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/v...EE2F58D384.png

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2012, 01:35 AM

A literal exact copy. There's so many variations of it it's mind spinning.

Does not compute.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jun 13, 2012, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
A literal exact copy. There's so many variations of it it's mind spinning.

Does not compute.
If you don't think it looks incredibly similar to the one I posted, you're incredulous. How about doing your own dialpad Apple?

And the Netflix navigation isn't good. It looks bad and is awkward on such a small screen.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2012, 01:56 AM

If you don't think it looks incredibly similar to the one I posted, you're incredulous. How about doing your own dialpad Apple?

And the Netflix navigation isn't good. It looks bad and is awkward on such a small screen.
It looks more similar to the current iOS dial pad then it does to any of the other examples you posted, aside from having dark text on a light background. Basically they just inverted the colour scheme and changed the fonts. I can't believe that you're outraged by this.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jun 13, 2012, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
It looks more similar to the current iOS dial pad then it does to any of the other examples you posted, aside from having dark text on a light background. Basically they just inverted the colour scheme and changed the fonts. I can't believe that you're outraged by this.
I'm not outraged by it. It's a copy of Android. Sorry, but it is. Of all the colors... of all the combinations... this is widely been done.

And then the Netflix copy. It's all very apparent.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 03:41 AM

The "Netflix copy" looks a hell of a lot like the old TV interface to me.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2012, 06:53 AM

That does it, I'm not buying anything more of Apple until Steve comes back. And when you see what he's got up his sleeves after hanging with the sages of perpetuity for a time, you'll promptly throw that Android into the sea.
ebuddy

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2012, 08:23 AM

Apple's been doing horizontal navigation since *long* before Netflix. Just look at the AppleTV and CoverFlow UI's as well as the App Store UI on the iPad. In fact, I think it's entirely possible that Netflix developed it's horizontal nav based on the original AppleTV nav.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2012, 08:51 AM

Ok, kill me. I like what I see... and appreciate all of Apple's efforts. Mountain Lion looks decent... and the Retina MacBook Pro looks awesome.

BUT...

iOS looks pretty much the same old. Not much happening there. Yes, Siri on iPad, some nice updates...

But after all of this time... I feel Jobs would have said, "At WWDC we move over to Retina, no looking back." I feel Apple's a bit weak here...

You can say it's manufacturing costs... blah blah.

They should have moved all their rigs over to Retina. Dump the optical drive for good.

Looks to me like they couldn't get it done... not enough battery life for the 13s and other technical challenges probably has held them back. And about the iMacs I have no idea.
This is the most pathetic and clueless whine I've ever read on this board. Ever.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 10:22 AM

Worse than when I was ballistic over the Intel switch?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2012, 10:42 AM

I don't have an iPhone, but on my iPad I much prefer the new App/iTunes Store design.

And that dial pad doesn't look like anything I've ever seen on any Android device I've ever used. Here's the dial pad on my Android phone:
( Last edited by nonhuman; Jun 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Shockingly, yes, as bad as that was.

So, you still running any PPC at home?

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Side note. I don't know if you know how coverflow came about, but just for interest's sake:

Many years ago at Ars some dude was demo-ing his album art scrolling app. We all said it was great and he was actively soliciting comments from end users and developers. Then all of a sudden he just disappeared. Many, many moons went by and we didn't hear a peep. Then it showed up in iTunes, pretty much identical to what he showed us. Apple had bought it and had been integrating it, but obviously he had to sign an NDA until it was released of course.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2012, 10:57 AM

You worked at Ars Eug?

What was that like?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 11:49 AM

You worked at Ars Eug?

What was that like?
I didn't work at Ars. The guy just posted a thread there (in their Mac forum) about his app when it was in alpha.

We saw it progressing over a period of time, and then all of a sudden the guy just disappeared. We learned later (when the new iTunes came out) that that was when Apple called him up to buy it.

BTW, while it may have been like winning a minor lottery for this guy, it was a much bigger deal for this company:

Cover Flow may cost Apple $208.5 million in damages
( Last edited by Eug; Jun 13, 2012 at 11:59 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 12:05 PM

Tangent:

Has Apple's course since then reconciled you?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 12:12 PM

Yeah. I came to terms with it. It was for the best. I still wish Apple could have remained processor unique, but Wintel compatibility opened up a wider market for the Mac and better software compatibility.

In response to Eug's question, I still have my PPC mini set up, but it doesn't get much use anymore.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 12:13 PM

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 12:43 PM

-t
"Incredulous" indeed.

Best malapropism he could've used.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I don't have an iPhone, but on my iPad I much prefer the new App/iTunes Store design.

And that dial pad doesn't look like anything I've ever seen on any Android device I've ever used. Here's the dial pad on my Android phone
Here's mine, the stock Android 4.0.4 dial pad. Yes, looks exactly like iOS.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jun 13, 2012, 01:24 PM

And that dial pad doesn't look like anything I've ever seen on any Android device I've ever used. Here's the dial pad on my Android phone:
Because you've used couple of Android phones, you think every single one is exactly the same. This was already posted, and this is fact:

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jun 13, 2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Here's mine, the stock Android 4.0.4 dial pad. Yes, looks exactly like iOS.

You're incredulous:

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 13, 2012, 01:30 PM

This thread:

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 01:31 PM

Freudling:

Do yourself a favor and look up "incredulous" in a dictionary of your choice.

It describes the way we feel about you in this thread quite accurately.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2012, 02:08 PM

Because you've used couple of Android phones, you think every single one is exactly the same. This was already posted, and this is fact:

Yes, that's great. But it's not the stock dialer in any version of Android that I'm aware of (this does not include carrier-provided crap like HTC Sense and whatever; I know nothing about that stuff).

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jun 13, 2012, 02:15 PM

Yes, that's great. But it's not the stock dialer in any version of Android that I'm aware of (this does not include carrier-provided crap like HTC Sense and whatever; I know nothing about that stuff).
Ok, cool. But the reality is this design has been in the market for over 1 year and is a matter of public record.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jun 13, 2012, 02:18 PM

Apple's been doing horizontal navigation since *long* before Netflix. Just look at the AppleTV and CoverFlow UI's as well as the App Store UI on the iPad. In fact, I think it's entirely possible that Netflix developed it's horizontal nav based on the original AppleTV nav.

Demonstrate that Apple is the inventor of it. Specifically, on multi-touch devices.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2012, 02:22 PM

Ok, cool. But the reality is this design has been in the market for over 1 year and is a matter of public record.
Yes. But they're not the same at all... They are similar pretty much only in that they both have white number buttons and a green call button. Everything else is original iOS stuff.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 13, 2012, 02:30 PM

GUYZ WERE ARGUING ABOUT DIALPADS ON TEH INTRAWEBS

Give Fraudling credit, he suckers you guys in Every. Damn. Time.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2012, 02:56 PM

That looks like the original iPhone dial pad! OMG! Apple stole THAT from Android too!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2012, 03:00 PM

Demonstrate that Apple is the inventor of it. Specifically, on multi-touch devices.
Why? Each of these clearly predate Netflix's side scrolling ui and were done under Steves watch, and your entire position is that Apple has lost its way without Steve.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I didn't work at Ars. The guy just posted a thread there (in their Mac forum) about his app when it was in alpha.
Haha!

There it is, on page 11 — my second post ever on the ars forums.

Which one were you?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 03:33 PM

Why? Each of these clearly predate Netflix's side scrolling ui and were done under Steves watch, and your entire position is that Apple has lost its way without Steve.
Wasn't he moaning about them losing their way while Steve was still alive and kicking? So confusing.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2012, 03:46 PM

I just noticed something. Websites on iOS 6 in Safari look the same as they do in Chrome on Android! Those bastards!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2012, 03:53 PM

I don't know why I'm even wading into this. This is the most asinine thread I've encountered in a long time. But here it goes...

iTunes Music Store in 2003 when it launched:

Look! Horizontal navigation!
Vandelay Industries

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2012, 04:10 PM

You lie art!!!!

Youououououo lie !!!!!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Haha!

There it is, on page 11 — my second post ever on the ars forums.

Which one were you?
Heh. I think I was registered as Eug at the time. Come to think of it, I can't remember if I posted in that specific thread, or just downloaded the app to play around and talked about it in other threads.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 04:29 PM

You lie art!!!!

Youououououo lie !!!!!
Everybody knows art is a lie.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 04:58 PM

Art imitates lie.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jun 13, 2012, 05:34 PM

Yes. But they're not the same at all... They are similar pretty much only in that they both have white number buttons and a green call button. Everything else is original iOS stuff.

How could you say that the color and call button are similar... which in fact they're very similar... and then say they're not alike at all. The color scheme is a huge factor in what defines the design.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jun 13, 2012, 05:36 PM

Show the dates of when these were implemented, and on what products specifically. Here's a hint: try wayback machine for Netflix...

Come back when you've figured it out.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2012, 05:47 PM

1. Apple creates a software based touchscreen phone keypad (in blue)
2. Some Android skins/versions mimic it, but turn it grey.
3. Apple turns their blue keypad grey.

OMG! It's an exact copy!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
This is the most pathetic and clueless whine I've ever read on this board. Ever.
This is the most bizarre and peculiar question I've ever read on this board. Ever.

But seriously, I don't recall that reaction. I'm not even sure I was here then.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2012, 06:40 PM

"It's as kosher as a Big Mac!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules