Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Mini/Audible Book Issue

iPod Mini/Audible Book Issue
Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2012, 06:19 AM

So I recently put my old iPod mini back into service after many years by giving it a new battery and a 32GB CF card in place of the old hard drive. So far, so good, except...

The only issue I'm having is something I'm sure isn't hardware-related. For some odd reason, if I load an Audible book onto the mini (an .aa file), it will show up in the mini's Audiobooks menu for a while, but then if I go back to look for it again later, it will have disappeared. When I plug the mini into my computer, however, the Audiobook still shows as being there when I browse the mini's contents in iTunes. I can even play it from iTunes. But when I eject the iPod and look for it again in the iPod's Audiobooks menu, it will have disappeared again. Weird.

I've tried this on two different minis (mine, and my dad's, which has a similar CF card conversion), and have the same problem on both. I'm guessing that the reason is that the mini's circa-2004 firmware is old enough that it just kind of chokes on Audible's newfangled tweaked file format. But if anyone has any further insight into why this may be happening, please let me know what you think.

Forum Links
Forum Rules