Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > checkstop LED light up on lockup

checkstop LED light up on lockup
rslifka
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2006, 04:56 PM

This must not be a common problem because the word 'checkstop' isn't anywhere, certainly not with any frequency. I get hard locks when using my machine. An LED labelled CHECKSTOP lights up inside the case. Here's what I've done:

- Apple PM DC manual: If this light comes on, take to service provider.
- Local apple store: Can't do much w/out more information. He ran all of their diagnostic software overnight and didn't find any issues. Only thing remaining is possibly bad RAM, but it passes the RAM check so I didn't think that could still be an issue?

Any advice guys? These random crashes are killing me.

Rob

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2006, 09:01 PM

I really would love to know why those LEDs were put into the PCIe G5s. But I guess if I were trying to figure out the problem I would run the Mac with only the stock RAM to see if that solves the problem. If they were to continue, I would take it in for service.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mountainash
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2006, 07:20 PM

Bad RAM can pass tests.

Random crashes can also be caused by other factors, like heat or even a faulty hard drive cable.

A quick test to confirm RAM problems, is to start the computer up from cold, open up activity monitor, and then as many other programs and data as you can to fill RAM. If the RAM is bad it should crash once the bad RAM is accessed. If this test shows nothing, it could still be the RAM.

Removing RAM and not seeing the problem is a much more certain test.

Also, are you using any other things that the service tech didn't test? Like do you normally have it connected to a network, or printer, or firewire device or so forth. Often techs don't see the same problem because they aren't testing the same setup, just a part of it.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules