Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > powermac g4 upgrade

powermac g4 upgrade
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2006, 03:30 PM

hi

I have a blue and white powermac that has a g4 450mhz inside it

and I am planning on getting the SONNET Encore/ZIF G4 1000 MHz upgrade if I can get it at the right price

however I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on it?

would it be significantly faster than a PowerMac G4 733mhz - for example?

is there any disadvantages using such an upgrade?

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2006, 03:53 PM

Most seem to agree that the 1GHz G4 Sonnet is really not a good upgrade for a B&W. It is lacking in cache and it drops the bus speed of the B&Ws to 66MHz. Essentially turning your B&W into a Beige.

The GHz G3 performs better pretty much across the board and costs less.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Mac Hammer Fan
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2006, 07:56 PM

It's better to buy a second hand G4 AGP in my opinion. The Sonnet G4 isn' t worth the money because it reduces the clock speed. The Powerlogix G3 could be a better buy, if you are lucky. I wasn't... http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=290839 If I were you, I would try to get rid of your G4 PCI and buy a second hand G4 AGP. At least, you would be able to run IDVD, Iwork, etc.. (These applications are not G3 compatible). And it would not be faster than a real G4 733...
check out speed tests at www.barefeats.com
( Last edited by Mac Hammer Fan; Apr 9, 2006 at 03:55 AM. )
MacPro SixCore 3.33 Westmere - MacBook SR 2.2 Ghz - PowerMac Dual G5 2.3
Besides Macs, I love Gothic Horror Films

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 11:19 PM

Oops. Posted to the wrong thread.
( Last edited by WizOSX; Apr 9, 2006 at 08:33 AM. )

mountainash
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2006, 11:48 PM

There are a number of things that affect speed and performance. A faster CPU is just one of these. You need also consider the size and speed of the cache, the bus speed, the amount of memory, the graphics capabilities, and the speed of the hard drive. Depending on what kind of work you do with your Mac, different features carry more or less importance.

The real problem with this CPU module is that it reduces the bus speed to 66MHz. Also, compared to the 1GHz G3 ZIF, the cache is very slow. If you don't need AltiVec the 1GHz G3 is a good buy at 200USD.

For the price (350USD), you are better of selling your PowerMac (the G4 ZIF CPU module alone can still get a nice price), and getting an AGP PowerMac. An AGP Power Mac would give you a faster CPU, better graphics, more memory upgrade, faster hard drive/controller, better optical drive, and more upgradability. Probably you can afford at least a fast digital audio or quicksilver.

Something that you should remember is that the 733MHz Quicksilver is the entry model in its series and consequently is a bit 'crippled'. The CPU has no level 3, the stock hard drive is smaller, the optical drive is lower speced, and the graphics card is lesser. A 733MHz Digital Audio is a much better machine all round (excepting the case), and features a Superdrive as standard. Or you could get a 2002 Quicksilver which should support larger (137GB+) hard drives.

Check out the specs at mactracker or lowendmac.com or everymac.com or apple.com
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules